Author Topic: Don't make the mistake I did...  (Read 16176 times)

Gypsy Jazmine

Re: Don't make the mistake I did...
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 05:43:15 am »
I went through several "vets from h*ll" before I found one that I like...Samson was 43 lbs. at a little under 14 weeks...My vet had never had a Great Pyr client so I brought her info. before the visit which she obviously read over...I am sorry that happened to you guys!

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 06:19:15 am »
Yeah, first you have to find a vet that absolutely loves animals.  It's amazing how many just look at them as "things".  Then you have to get one that knows about your specific dog.  Our vet, Dr. Jim Codington is so awsome!!!  The first time we brought Drake in as a pup, Jim walked in the room, shook our hands and then got down on the floor and got face to face with Drake and let him lick his face.  We were blown away and knew that this guy loves animals.  Plus, he is really good looking so most women, and maybe even a few men, are all ga-ga when they're around him.  Fortunately for us guys, he hires a lot of pretty and competent young women, so there's eye candy for all his patients.  He is really intelligent and takes great care of his patients.  He uses traditional and alternative methods to treat pets and gives great advice.  He even built a little chapel outside his office for people to take their sick and/or old pets to say their final goobyes in a peaceful setting.  So thoughtful....  We feel really lucky to have such a great vet and we tell everyone about him.  Yogi even goes to Dr. Codington!  I hope most of you have someone similar in their area.  Here's a link to a writeup on Dr. Codington: 

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/CCAH/Update10-1/upd10-1_countryvet.html
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 06:25:11 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 06:25:24 am »
Oh my GOD that cat is HUGE
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 06:33:03 am »
wow that cat is huge!
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2005, 01:08:27 pm »
I'm so sorry you had to go thru this.  What a horrible vet.  I know some people dont' know how old their pets are when they get them, but usually people with puppies have the accurate age.  If she thought Mokey was older, she should have told you, at which point you could have corrected her.

I agree you should go with the complaint, to the vet board and the state board.  I hope you find a vet that is much more competent.

Offline k9obsessed

• Gnawer
  • Chi ama me, ama il mio cani
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 02:33:43 am »

She said "there's no way the dog could be 25 lbs at 11 weeks old". Honey, my dog Nigel weighed more than that at 11 weeks!!!

Obviously someone not familiar with large dogs (and probably very impressed with herself).  One of my 26 day old kuvasz pups already weighs in at 6# 4oz!

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 08:00:07 am »
Poor Mokey! Stupid damn vet! You think having giant breeds is bad, you want to try having a shar-pei. Most vets are totally ignorant of the shar-pei's  differences from an average mutt and want to do outragoues operations on a dog that is too young and are totally unnecessary. Some vets I've been to, you can see their eyes go 'KERRCHING!' the moment you walk in with a shar-pei. I've even been told I'm foolish having that breed and I should have them insured as they're always sick (I've spent around £500 in the last 8 years on my two girls and most of that went on spaying, one teeth cleaning session and two lots of stitches due to fights - sickly breed indeed!).  How else would you explain a vet telling a new puppy owner their 8 week old pup immediatly needs a face lift, full entropion surgery, an operation to fix an elongated palate and it's nostrils realigning? This happened last month to my friend who sold a puppy to somebody. Luckily they took her advice and found a shar-pei friendly vet.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2005, 12:03:49 pm »
Jeez, that vet sounded more like a plastic surgeon than a vet.  A face lift for a shar pei?

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 04:37:54 pm »
You do have to be really careful choosing a vet.  I'm somewhat aggressive with the vet, I used to be a vet tech, and I question everything. If I have to argue with them, I leave. I WON'T do all of Earnest's vaccines at once, it makes him sick and droopy for a few days, sometimes he runs a low fever,  so I like to space them out.  More than one vet argued with me that he'd be "fine" and it was ok for him to be sick from the vaccine.  No, it's not.
The last time I was at the vet (I won't go back) The tech walked in, grabbed Earnest, and squirted yellow paste down his throat. I said "is that Strongid?" She said yes. I said "what kind of worms did he have?" She said "his fecal exam's not ready yet". ????!!!! We're giving him wormer before the results of the fecal?  Then she comes back in smiling and says "the results were negative".  Then WHY did we give him poison?  When I asked she said "oh, we always do it twice a year". But if he doesn't have worms, he doesn't need wormer. Then they argued with me about "prevention".  Well, they don't eat anything off the ground (training) I keep my yard really clean, and except for going to work with me at the kennel, they're not really around other dogs much - isn't that prevention enough?

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 05:00:01 pm »
That's AWFUL.
Mokey is such a cutie pie!!!
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179