Author Topic: I have a HUGE pout going on!!  (Read 11949 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
I have a HUGE pout going on!!
« on: November 01, 2005, 07:24:13 pm »
Cowboy was certified to be a Therapy Dog last April and then immediately took a nose dive from his meds.  He just couldn't walk very well....much more than a block and he'd have to rest.  He had the odd seizure but his med load was just too much for him.  Well, we've finally gotten that sorted out and he's doing GREAT so I thought we could finally go to work in our local hospital.  I emailed the volunteer coordinator and here's her response:

He sounds like a wonderful dog.  I’m sorry, but our policy at Torrance Memorial Medical Center is not to accept large breeds who drool.  Our volunteers visit in tight quarters and having your pet shake and spread his saliva is not welcomed by our patients and visitors.  You may want to check some of the nursing homes in the area.  They may be more flexible and provide an opportunity to work. 

Now I'm in a FULL pout!  He really is wonderful and he's getting discriminated against :o just because he's big and a Newf.  She actually wanted to know what color he was!  What the poop does that matter???   We'll have to find our own place to go visit!  AGHHHHH!  I should have known better, though, since my friend who has Bernese Mountain dogs was told that they are just too big.  DISCRIMINATION  against big paws!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: I have a HUGE pout going on!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 07:31:00 pm »
That just sucks! Lets get all the Big Paws together and go to his/her house for a slobber flinging festival.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 07:33:27 pm »
Thanks!!! ;D  I'd LOVE that!

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 07:49:24 pm »
I'm sorry, newflvr, that the hospital administrator is so short sighted and predjudiced. The overall tone of the reply was very condesending, bordering on rude, and I would just as soon not deal with them anyway, if I were you.
I would go ahead and contact the local nursing homes and children's homes if there are any in your area. Once you are established, call the local paper and see if you can get a feel-good piece in there on one of your visits. Then send the ***hole the article.
Stella

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 07:54:08 pm »
That really sucks.  I hope we don't run into the same problem with Tyra.  She got her CGC last month and we are working towards getting tested with Delta or TDI.  I really want to do the reading program with her.

Cindy

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 10:22:28 pm »
What is wrong with people?  ??? I hate it when the most awesome of dogs is discriminated against. We should do some sort of march in DC with signs that say "Don't hate us cuz we're big and beautiful". Something has got to change peoples' minds. Grrr.....
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 11:01:38 pm »
That is SO rude! Shame on them, and they don't know what they're missing!
RIP former BPO

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 11:18:02 pm »
Torrance Memorial Medical Center

In the 90505? 

If so, those people are jacka#&es, and not just because they turned Cowboy down.  It's a rule with them to be as nasty as possible.

If you're in Torrance, try Little Company of Mary, and Harbor/UCLA and think about Long Beach Memorial.  LBMMC is a little bit of a drive, but it's a good facility, and I think they've got a program in place. 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:42:19 am by jabear »
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Anakalia

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 11:50:37 pm »
I'm so sorry!!!  I was in a similar situation when I talked to my daughters school about taking Koby to the school to educate little kids about how to approach dogs they don't know.  I was trying so hard to help, I'd HATE to have a little kid get bitten because they wern't taught how to approach a dog properly.  The school threw that in my face!  They said NO to all my ideas then told me Koby was never allowed on school property!  At the time they said no dogs were allowed on school property but I found out that was a lie the next day when I seen a woman walking her chow chow up to the school doors to get her child!  Since then I've seen numerous dogs there ON school property and it really ticks me off! >:( >:(

I just wanted to know you're not alone.... I think our loving big paws get descriminated against quite often, unfortunately.
 :'(
Andi

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 12:33:44 am »
In the 90505? 

If so, those people are jacka#@es, and not just because they turned Cowboy down.  It's a rule with them to be as nasty as possible.

Thanks for that!!!  I had no idea!  I would never have started with them if I 'd have known.  I'll take your suggestions, though, and try esp. LB Memorial.  I had my last baby there and know a few of the docs on staff. 

And Andi, I remember that you had mentioned you were going to try to teach the kids about dogs...and I thought it was an amazing idea!  What COULD the school be thinking?  Someone who is willing and trusts her dog enough to help kids 1) get over a possible fear, and 2) hopefully prevent a kid from being bitten?  It's a GREAT idea!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:42:37 am by jabear »

Anakalia

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 12:41:39 am »
In the 90505? 

If so, those people are jacka#%es, and not just because they turned Cowboy down.  It's a rule with them to be as nasty as possible.

Thanks for that!!!  I had no idea!  I would never have started with them if I 'd have known.  I'll take your suggestions, though, and try esp. LB Memorial.  I had my last baby there and know a few of the docs on staff. 

And Andi, I remember that you had mentioned you were going to try to teach the kids about dogs...and I thought it was an amazing idea!  What COULD the school be thinking?  Someone who is willing and trusts her dog enough to help kids 1) get over a possible fear, and 2) hopefully prevent a kid from being bitten?  It's a GREAT idea!

You know that the bad bad thing is? lol  I wanted to instantly pull my daughter out of public school and homeschool. I was that ticked off! hehee  But Tony told me it's not a good idea, and that she needs lots of socialization so after I calmed down I realized that too, but I'm gonna hold a grudge FOREVER!!! lol

Andi
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 12:43:29 am by jabear »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 12:49:15 am »
LOL!!!   I, too, am a great grudge-holder! ;)  Ask me if I'll EVER do anything for that hospital!!! 

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 01:08:21 am »
Oh, that is just horrible!!  I could see if maybe you were in the infectious diseases ward (if they even have that there) or something where that would be more of a concern.  But you'd think they'd have SOMEWHERE to place you.

I hope I don't have this problem when I get Keiko certified b/c she's a 24/7 shedder.  She loses her body weight in hair each day.   ;D  And I'd like to get Gunther started too, when he is old enough and a bit more settled.

I know there are plenty of places you should be able to find that would LOVE to have him come visit.  Then go and throw that in their faces.

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 02:03:07 am »
The last thing sick people are worried about is drool!!!! Those Administrators are the problem, maybe they should visit their own facility and empty a few bed pans, then we'll talk about drool!!!
OOOhhhhh  I'm so mad >:( >:(

Offline yogibear

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 02:08:30 am »
this comment chaps my hide too....
"You may want to check some of the nursing homes in the area.  They may be more flexible and provide an opportunity to work. "
What....if everyone is drooling then it's ok?????