Author Topic: MAX  (Read 10428 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
MAX
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:25:48 pm »
what does everyone tthink of yellow labs?  We are thinking of purchasing one to train for hunting.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: MAX
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:48:13 pm »
PERSONALLY I'm not a Lab fan.  The whole Fad/overpopulation thing, doesn't help.  What kind of hunting are you going to do?  Upland, water?
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 11:55:34 pm »
I love labs! They are such GREAT dogs. Between me and my cousin, we have had atleast 8 labs. They are amazing dogs {but I might be a little biased  ;)}

My aunt had a yellow lab, and she was an awesome dog... great temperment.

Here are a couple of websites...

http://chocklabs.com/

http://wepinekennels.com/

http://www.gaetacreek.com/
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 12:18:59 am »
Hi Shana,

We had Labs growing up. Friendly dogs, most were hyper until between 2-3 yrs. old, so can be a handle full to get them to pay attention to anything besides food and play. However, they are basically eager to please and as they mature and settle down...great dogs. They also will smell doggy, unlike Beauty and Adian. These dogs are very, very differnt to a Kuvasz. Kuvasz is easy to teach commands, but hard to overcome that instinct to guard and actually listen to your command when he/she perceives a threat in her territory. My concern would be the great difference in the temperment, disposition, etc. between the two breeds, would they be compatible? I would recommend a puppy in order to get Beauty to accept her/him. I have also heard great things about Brittany Spaniels, not quite as hyper, and mature earlier.

Best wishes for finding the perfect dog!

Deena

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:14:50 am »
Shana....you don't want to try and teach Aidan to hunt?  The breed was once used to hunt bear.  And Aidan won't smell doggy like the labs.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 04:55:53 pm »
We actually had a lab mix for 7 years that our Kuvasz did great with, she died last year and thats where Max came in,Shady, our black lab mix was Anthony's dog and he has missed her terribly. unfortunately a full grown alpha cocker is not working out like we had hoped and I am worried for his safety,The Kuv's will not accept him and correct his behavior quite fiercely, I have tried everything to correct them, but Max attacks them and they return with 3 on 1.  Anthony has asked me to find Max a good home and asked if he could have another lab. (he bird hunts) so my friend who has no dogs, has a little girl who wants one will be taking him home this evening.  Max has spent lots of time over there throught he summer and both my friend and her daughter like him very much.  I think it will be a great match.  Max came from a home where he was the only dog.  Our Lab cross used to hunt with Anthony when he was much smaller , field mice, it was hilarious to watch.  Anthony would find them in our hay fields after the ahy was cut, she would catch them and bring them back to him he put them ina bucket and the would start over again.  She never took to bird hunting and did not like the sound of the gun.  She was lab/rotty mix all black.  I was curious if anyone had ever had a full lab etc...There were only yellows int he paper yesterday, but the lady also had another litter of blacks just born, I did not like the sounds of her "operation" so looked again today and found a new ad for black labs, just what he wanted, no papers, accidental breed right before the girl was to be spayed, they wanted to place pups in good homes no papers 25.00 .  Both are hubbard county seputies aand their son went to school with mine fo4 years which i did not know, very nice looking parents, clean pups, clean and warm with strw in the garage for them.  One little girl left which is also what he wanted.  Sooooo we brought her home.  Beauty likes her so I am hoping for the best, Cali also likes her but she likes everything right now, play will need to be totally supervised and won't be alowed for a while yet as baby is 8 weeks old and only 11 pounds to cali's 45 pounds.  At 4 months old she is a hurricane!  Aidan likes all babies so I hope this will all work out good.  Anthony primarialy grouse and duck hunts in answer to the hunting question.  He will be deer hunting this year, tomorrow is opener.
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 04:56:35 pm »
a few more pic's of Shadow
Storm Jameson

Kiahpyr

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 05:00:17 pm »
Your new baby is so adorable. Good luck with the hunting thing. We always had lab mixes growing up used for hunting.

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 05:00:38 pm »
OOPS forgot the pic's!
Storm Jameson

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 05:05:06 pm »
On another note we have discussed training Aidan in the great art of hunting as my husband calls it.  We have lots of Bear and deer around here, not to mention a few big cats...but have to check into the laws, I know that many dogs are shot around here when caught running deer....I am not sure if there are laws restricting use of dogs to hunt bigger game...Definat ely will have to find that out!
Storm Jameson

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 06:03:17 pm »
Shadow is a honey! Welcome Shadow.

I do not envy you with the training ahead, but lab pups are so cute! You have done so well with your other dogs in training, she will probably be a piece of cake. ;)

Send more pics, guess you'll be posting on the lab section!

Deena

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 10:51:28 am »
Shadow has been a honey, Anthony took a few more pic's attached, Max went to his new home, jumped right in to the little girl's lap and was licking her face all over.  I think it will be good for both her and him.  She spends  a lot of time alone after school, and to have a companion will be great for her, not to mention max is a a great little guard dog!  Shana
Storm Jameson

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 10:59:58 am »
Shadow is so cute!! Congrats!!!

Hope all goes well  :)
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline queenkofsnow

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2005, 12:08:50 am »
New puppy is oh soooooooooooo cute.  Mike is getting ready for the wedding
will send pics next week.