Author Topic: The Last Week  (Read 4635 times)

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
The Last Week
« on: November 06, 2005, 07:32:49 am »
Hi Everyone,

I haven't been here for awhile.  We've been really busy trying to get ready to leave.  We have a final date of December 3rd.  I just wanted to give you all an update on how everything has been.

Last week started out horrible.  Lily, who we were told had gone through a heat cycle right before we got her, went into heat.  It doesn't bother me, but I was not expecting it.  Anyway, I decided against taking her out for walks because there are a lot of other dogs in my neighborhood.  Well I was out there with her last week, and out of nowhere, a dog comes charging my fence.  It was the neighbors blue pit.  I didn't think I had anything to worry about.  My fence is 6 ft. and pretty solid.  So the next day I'm out there with Lily again and my neighbors pit does it again.  Only this time he loosens one of the boards.  I put Lily back inside right away and went to fix the fence.  Later that night my husband takes Lily out and the pit rams the fence again and knocks the board completely loose and charges inside.  Lily and him went at it fighting before my husband even knew what was going on.  Let me tell you how scared I was.  I heard the comotion and ran out there and find my husband trying to seperate them.  I whistled to Lily and she turned to come towards me and the pit grabbed her ear and wouldn't let go.  He ripped a three inch gash in it.  I've never seen so much blood in my life.  My neighbor comes running up to the fence and calls his dog off because he's still trying to go after her.  We finally get the two dogs seperated completely and I called my vet.  She had to go in and she got 14 stitches and an E collar.  The E collar lasted all of 15 minutes once I got her home.  It's been 6 days now since this happened and she still hasn't scratched at the stitches so I don't think I'll have to put it back on her.

Anyway, I didn't know that a male dog would fight a dog in heat, but I guess I was misinformed.  And the owner of the other dog not only didn't apologize, but didn't even offer to help pay the vet bill which was hefty.  But Lily is ok and that's what counts.

So that combined with having to get new passports, all get medical screenings, having one child with the flu, and enough paperwork to put a lawyers firm to shame has kept me from my favorite place.  BPO!!!!!

I probably won't be here much between now and when we leave, so let me offer you all a very happy Thanksgiving and a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  I wish everyone luck on the calendar contest, puppy kisses to all of Raven and Lily's pup pals, and a big hello to all the newbies.  I'll miss you all, but hopefully I won't be off line too long.  And Jaime, if you could put one of the calendars aside for me until I get back up and running I would really appreciate it.

Talk to you all soon. :) :) :) :) :)
Melissa
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Kiahpyr

Re: The Last Week
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 10:24:24 am »
Poor Lily! I'm glad to hear she's healing nicely. We will miss you and can't wait for your return. Be safe.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 04:45:27 pm »
Thank you Tajsa :)

dohertyswissy

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 04:54:17 pm »
Goodness Gracious, you have certainly had a rough week!  I hope Lily is back to her ol' self soon.  I can't believe the neighbor didn't bother to even apologize!

I hope that you have a very safe move and a wonderful holiday season!  We will be thinking of you and hope that you'll be back soon!

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:54:33 pm »
OH NO!! Poor Lily!  I can't imagine how scared you must have been.  I didn't know dogs would fight another dog in heat either!  Sounds like you had a very busy week.  We'll miss ya!

Andi

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:09:03 pm »
aw poor Lily.  how scary....    Hope your move goes smoothly. We'll miss you!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 05:16:59 pm »
You got it Melissa! I am sorry to hear about all of the difficulties you've had in your last few weeks in the states. Hopefully things will go smoother from here on out. We'll miss you. Take care of your family and poor Lily. We'll be thinking of you...
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 05:29:33 pm »
Oh, poor Lily.  Yes, dogs will fight in heat, especially if the female isn't receptive.  At least that's how it works with cats.  He was probably trying to wear her down so he could have his way with her.  Leave it to a man to do something like that.  :P  ;)

You should have pushed to have your neighbor pay for the entire bill.  His dog was on your property, and caused property damage to boot.  Is it too late to get something from him?

Good luck with the move.  We will be awaiting your return to BPO with all the details on how it went.  I hope it's not too hectic.  I can't even imagine moving overseas.

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 12:12:15 pm »
It seems like dogs in heat are very unpredictable.  A couple of Pit Bulls killed a little boy here in the SF Bay Area this year, and authorities claim that happened primarily because the bitch was in heat.  ???  Whatever the case, it just seems easier and more logical that if you aren't a breeder to just neuter or spay your pets.  Some people don't get that or just don't agree, to each his own I guess.
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 12:37:13 pm »
Thank you for everyone's well wishes for Lily.  Lily was due to be spayed in January and have the gastropexy done at the same time.  I have no intentions of ever breeding her.  I've just never seen a dog be so aggressive towards a bitch in heat.  She wasn't even in standing heat yet.  Well, I talked to the owner of the pit and he claims that it wasn't his fault because the pit is not "his".  He's just watching it for a friend.  Why do people always do that?  Why can't they just take some responsibility .  I kept my dog contained, why couldn't he?  I wasn't even asking him to pay the whole thing.  Just half.  Oh well, you live and learn.  I learned that if any dog approaches the fence to get Lily inside immediately.  I also learned never ever trust your husband to keep a good eye on what's going on. lol. :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 03:26:56 pm »
The guy was still responsible b/c it was in his care, whether or not it was his dog.  It was due to his negligence that the dog broke thru the fence.

Some people are born idiots.