Big Paws Only Dog Forums
December 11, 2017, 06:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Congratulation s Dinty the Newf You look very handsome atop the site.

The BPO Calendar is now available for purchase. For more information, see the self-titled thread.


Looking for something interesting to read? Catch up on the latest doggy news in our BPO Blog.
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting Article: Detergent and Dogs Don't Mix  (Read 3537 times)
Anakalia
Guest
« on: November 07, 2005, 10:50:09 AM »

Ok, so as most of you probably know I'm a Wellness Consultant.  I get emails all the time about dangerous household chemicals and personal products and how they can affect our health.  Since this article had to do with a poor little doggie I thought I'd share it with everybody....i t's very sad Cry but they talk about Tide laundry detergent....b ad bad stuff.  They don't say it in the article but for those of you who have dogs with skin issues please don't wash their bedding or anything their skin can come into contact with Tide, as it contains many harsh chemicals and fiberglass.

http://www.katu.com/news/story.asp?id=57295

Andi
Logged
2dobies
Big Paw Certified
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 299



View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 10:54:41 AM »

Oh how awful for that poor dog.  Not only do you have to "baby-proof" your house for small puppies, you gotta watch out for things that those older guys can get into also, but I'm not sure that I would have picked up on the laundry detergent thing on my own....thanks for the warning!
Logged

DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.
Anakalia
Guest
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 01:24:23 PM »

It is scary!  I actually had an email sent to me awhile back about another dog, almost the same situation.  Somehow the Tide leaked into the Kennel, and by the time the Lady owner got home from work and found out what happend, the Tide had actually burned the fur and flesh off the dog.  I seen pics....NOT GOOD!  Sadly the dog died from infection and there was literally no skin left on the dog except for his head. Cry  Not trying to gross anyone out here, but hopefully we can all learn from these stories.

Andi
Logged
Carolyn
Big Paws-a-holic
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 311



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 01:57:32 PM »

Oh my! Is it just Tide & I missed the fabric softener story- liquid or sheets?
Carolyn
Logged

Carolyn
Anakalia
Guest
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 02:13:16 PM »

I just did some research on Tide (I'm an investigative FOOL!).  Apparently Procter and Gamble will not give out all ingredients in Tide, I wonder why?  I did look up Tide's MSDS sheet (Material Saftey Data Sheet) and it's very scary, here's a bit of what I read.

Handling: MSDS: Precautions To Be Taken in Handling and Storing: Avoid skin contact and breathing product dust. Wear respirator in areas where there is a potential of breathing product dust Store in a cool, dry place. Keep product dry to maintain tablet integrity.
Disposal: MSDS: DISPOSAL IS TO BE PERFORMED IN COMPLIANCE WITH ALL FEDERAL,
STATE/PROVINCIAL AND LOCAL REGULATIONS. Dry product may be landfilled if permitted by local regulations. Discard individual empty containers in trash.
Waste water containing product may be sewered in compliance with all federal and state/provincial regulations, and local ordinances.
 
Logged
Kiahpyr
Guest
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 02:23:19 PM »

What about the free & clear laundry detergents? They don't have any dyes or fragrances to them and are hypoallergenic . I also use dryer sheets with no perfumes. I hate static cling!
Logged
Anakalia
Guest
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 02:34:24 PM »

What about the free & clear laundry detergents? They don't have any dyes or fragrances to them and are hypoallergenic . I also use dryer sheets with no perfumes. I hate static cling!

Let me do some research on that laundry detergent.  Definitely doesn't sound bad.  I know ALL and CHEER don't have all the ingredients as Tide but they do still have a few.

Even if you use dryer sheets without scent, some of the chemicals will still be in there, because it's just how they manufacture them. 

Some of these articles I've read on different household cleaners, personal products, and things we use everyday is enough to make me soooooo mad at these companies who refuse to make safe products and NOT have to put all the ingredients on the labels!  The government does not require companies to put every single ingredient on the label so the consumers know nothing about what they're really using.  It's sad and upsetting and it frustrates the heck outta me!!  Then poor animals and children die everyday because of poisonings!!  Things like this should never ever happen. IMO Cry

Andi
Logged
NoDogNow
Grand Master
***
Offline Offline

Posts: 601


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 06:40:24 PM »

My dad used to service hospital equipment, including their washers and dryers, and you wouldn't BELIEVE some of the stuff I've learned from him over the years.

The first thing someone should be telling people is to NEVER use powdered laundry detergents at all!  They're bloody dangerous!

While liquid detergents have many of the same cleaning agent chemicals in them,  powdered ones have all kinds of additives and chemicals added to those to granualize the liquid suspension of the chemicals.  You should always try to use liquid detergents--not just laundry, but dishwasher, etc, and if you can't get liquid, use the gel ones. 

Something else that they don't tell you is that all laundry products are FAR, FAR too concentrated, and were even before the current "lots of loads in a little bottle" marketing strategy that's made it all about "10 loads in an 8 ounce bottle."  These poor puppies wouldn't have such severe chemical burns if the products out there now weren't "ultra" powders that concentrate the chemicals into ever smaller amounts of binder!

You should know that you can actually damage both your machines AND your clothes if you oversoap as a regular thing.  Most laundry detergents have a "fill line" in the cap that is about 1/4 cup of soap.  That's 2-3 times as much soap as you really need, unless you're cleaning barn clothes or something.   The easiest key to tell if you're oversoaping:  If there's a layer of bubbles when your clothes are agitating, you've used too much soap.   There should be bubbles, but they should be scattered across the surface, and should be few in number.  A layer of bubbles is bad.  If you use a laundry aid like Oxyclean or a water softener like 4 Kings, you may need as little as a TABLESPOON OF SOAP for a normal load of laundry!

NEVER use a dryer sheet.  They have a stiffener in them that's chemically related to fiberglass, and again, will damage both your dryer and your clothes over time.

In terms of liquid softeners, a regular softener should be diluted by at least half, and a 1:2 dilution is preferable.  Clothes will be just as soft and have just as good static control, but cause less drainage/backup problems and fewer incidence of rashes.  Ultra softeners like Downy should be diluted 1:5 or 1:6 at a minimum.  I personally dilute 1:8 and my socks don't stick to my towels.  Wink

Just call me Laundry Girl....

Logged

Sheryl, Dogless and sad
Anakalia
Guest
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »

What about the free & clear laundry detergents? They don't have any dyes or fragrances to them and are hypoallergenic . I also use dryer sheets with no perfumes. I hate static cling!

Ok I did some research and came up with some info on Free and Clear Laundry Detergent....t his is what the MSDS sheet said:

Acute Health Effects: From MSDS
INHALATION: Unlikely to occur given the physical properties of the product. Mists may cause respiratory tract irritation.
SKIN CONTACT: Repeated or prolonged excessive exposure can result in defatting and drying of the skin which may result in irritation and dermatitis.
EYE CONTACT: May cause moderate to severe irritation, with possibility of corneal injury if not removed promptly.
INGESTION: Large quantities may cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and lethargy.

MEDICAL CONDITIONS GENERALLY RECOGNIZED AS BEING AGGRAVATED BY EXPOSURE: Persons with history of chronic skin conditions.
 
Logged
hugo~monster
Big Paw Certified
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 268


Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 09:58:25 PM »

thanks for the info!  very interesting!!
Logged

~SHELLIE & HUGO~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.2 | SMF © 2006-2007, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!