Author Topic: I can't believe he caught one!  (Read 14037 times)

Offline moosedog

• Gnawer
  • fun in the Christmas snow
    • View Profile
I can't believe he caught one!
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:05:02 am »
The unimaginable finally happened yesterday.... Argus has been trying to catch one of these little critters for almost 4 years....  They taunt him daily, but he's so big and not the most graceful

So, yesterday afternoon it finally happened, he came trotting into the house with a large freshly dead squirrel carried gently in his mouth  :o (Eeeewwww!)  He made it past me and proceeded to drop it directly on the living room rug where he drops cookies, bisquits and toys. :-[

Besides being rather grossed out (I was in the middle of eating my lunch), I'm thankful there wasn't fur or blood everywhere.  It was a clean kill and in true retriever style, it was gently brought home for me just like any toy.

I'm assuming that he just got really lucky to find a way too slow squirrel.  But, this is not a first "hunt" success--as a pup of about 6 months, there was a small fish in a stream, a rat, and a very low nest of baby birds.  But there's been nothing since.  Anyone else have this experience with their retrievers (gentle as can be, but with a game/hunt instinct not just for retrieve)?

d & Argus CGC
d &  Argus, CGC

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: I can't believe he caught one!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 09:59:44 am »
I dont have a Retreiver, but that reminded me of my "squirrel" story about a Dobe (Bianca)that I had several years ago:  They would taunt her and bug her for hours at a time, but she just wasnt as fast as they were.  One day while we were out walking in the woods, she spotted a squirrel and chased it.  It immediately ran about 20 feet up a walnut tree, and she just sat there at the base of the tree, watching every move it made, and growling beyond belief.  She must have made the squirrel nervous, because it was trying to calculate a jump to a nearby tree--but the tree wasnt as near as it thought!  The squirrel took a flying leap, fell short of it's goal, and landed right in the Dobie's mouth!  She thought she was something special when that happened.
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 10:09:20 am »
Seems that this time of year those squirrels get a bit fat and lose the race; whether it against the dogs or the cars.  Although we don't have squirrels here in the desert we did have them in Virginia.  I really hated the month of November because of all the dead squirrels in the road. 

I too have a retriever story.  One of my neighbors when I was a kid had a Golden that would bring home all sorts of critters and drop them ever so gently into their pool. 

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 11:06:08 am »
excellent sotry!  i bet argus was soooo proud.  he was giving youa special (in his mind) gift!  gotta love it! 

2dobies, bet your girl thought the squirrle was a gift that fell straight from heaven!!  i would have loved to seen her expression. 

hugo is tormented by a chipmunk.  he gives chase to it nearly everyday.  not caught it yet.  i am afraid one day (or night) it wont be a chipmunk but instead a SKUNK!!!!

here is a pic of hugo looking for the evil chipmunk... 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 11:12:03 am »
HAHAHAHA!!  This is too funny!  Koby's never brought me wonderful gifts like that.  Probably a good thing though! :)

He did go after a baby bunny last night, but the little thing escaped by going through the chain link fence, he got lucky!  Then Koby decided he was gonna try going under the fence too.  YEAH, like that's gonna happen.  He didn't try just one, not two times, but SEVERAL times to get under the fence after the bunny was long gone....yeah he's my brilliant baby! ;D

Edited for numerous typing errors ::)
Andi
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 11:12:51 am by Anakalia »

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2005, 11:15:30 am »
Eugh! Luckily, I have never had the pleasure of having something like dropped in front of me. Bear does love to play with frogs though. When ever he sees them he will get them, stare and chase them, paw at them and then let them go. It is so funny to see him do this. Every time the frog jumps you'd think it was the first time he had ever seen it. Silly boy!  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2005, 11:17:45 am »
Our Akita did the awful deed of getting a skunk!!!  It was horrible!!!  He reeked, the driveway where he ate it reeked,  the air in the area smelled for hours!  The driveway smelled for months...every time the sun warmed it up, you'd get a whiff of skunk and there just wasn't enough tomato juice on the planet to get the smell out of him....I swear it came up from his belly and out his pores!!! :P

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2005, 12:26:41 pm »
Drake has never killed anything except some insects and lizards by accident.  He don't like to kill!  He could pretty much take out most living creatures, aside from Rhinos or Elephants or Gorillas or Great White Sharks, but he doesn't.  Imagine a Feral, wild born Newf.  That would be a scary thing to stuble upon on a hike.  It just doesn't seem to be in the Newf temperment to kill, but Drake has taken off after Raccoons and Cats sometimes and I wonder what he would have done had he caught them.  Hmmmm......

Yesterday, there was this little  Pomeranian that was worked up into a frenzy over Drake.  It was screaming and foaming at the mouth and tripping and strangling itself on it's leash in attempts to get at Drake.  I was thinking, Drake could literally kill that dog in 10 seconds.  Why is it always the little dogs that do that stuff and they do it to dogs that would absolutely destroy them?  Idiotic Bravery I guess. 

Question for Moosedog, Argus is a Golden Retriever?  Do you clip him or is he a mix?  I've never seen a short haired Golden Retriever.  ???  Sorry if someone has asked you this already.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:26:16 pm by jabear »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2005, 12:30:00 pm »
to Newf Lover:  I have one of those little  poms, and she does that exact same routine to big dogs---even our own!  what ARE they thinking???? ???
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:25:31 pm by jabear »

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 01:42:44 pm »
to Newf Lover:  I have one of those little  poms, and she does that exact same routine to big dogs---even our own!  what ARE they thinking???? ???

Hope you don't take offense to my comment 2dobies.  It's just that whenever I see a little dog behave like that, I think, "What a little shit!"  It's funny and annoying at the same time.  Don't get me wrong though, I like little dogs, they just can be very, very annoying at times.  That and the fact that where I live, it seems that most little dog owners are grouchy old bags or prissy little rich b%$@#!@.  There's just a stigma that comes with those dogs sometimes...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:24:44 pm by jabear »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2005, 02:06:01 pm »
Oh, no offense taken ! :)  I know first-hand how obnoxious little dogs can be-- we have a 4 month old Rat terrier, too!!! ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2005, 02:07:14 pm by 2dobies »

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 03:57:31 pm »
Kiya is my little hunter who intently watches for anything landing in our yard. Last week I picked up 4 birds, a mole/vole & yesterday we proudly tossed a large earthworm in the air & rolled on top of it. When ever I see her chewing & tossing I know what it could be. She wants a squirrel so bad.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline WhiteShepherdDog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
dog's dream come true!
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 04:06:59 pm »
Dogs - 1
Squirrels -0

Wow-Jasper tries his hardest to grab one of those tree rodents. Poor guy wears himself out at the base of the tree and they are long gone. Yesterday he lost it---wouldn't leave the tree---nothing, no where....only the faint scent left in the tree.

Dogs -3
Armadillos-0
On the other hand, he is obliterating the armadillo population on my property.
Twice he has brought us possums in his mouth that he hadn't shook ....yet.
I bet cuz they played possum!
Regards,
Martha in Texas

Offline moosedog

• Gnawer
  • fun in the Christmas snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 04:43:17 pm »

Question for Moosedog, Argus is a Golden Retriever?  Do you clip him or is he a mix?  I've never seen a short haired Golden Retriever.  ???  Sorry if someone has asked you this already.

Argus is a golden retriever x labrador retriever but you have to choose "1" type as the first choice.  And, except for the fur length, he looks more GR than LR.  Actually, he got Mom's color, body type, and soft fur and daddy's size and fur length.  So, no trimming required! ;D
d &  Argus, CGC

chaosndestruction

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 06:50:55 pm »
ugh...we used to have a Pyr/Springer Spaniel, Princess. She LOVED to bring us moles while they were still alive, for the praise.  After we told her she was a good girl she'd go off and chomp it dead.  That wasn't so bad, after she got done killing her catch she'd leave it. It was the HOLES she dug trying to get her prizes or having Sheba (our brindle dane at the time) walk up to you and when you told her to "drop it" to see what she had hidden between her droopy jowls, having an already dead, rigor mortisifiedm, mole drop at your feet.