Author Topic: Service and therapy dogs for a diabetic?  (Read 2662 times)

Offline GDBurrito

• Gnawer
  • " Life is Better with Animals"
    • View Profile
Service and therapy dogs for a diabetic?
« on: November 11, 2005, 08:11:17 pm »
Hello,
I was wondering... I am a diabetic and * knock on wood* i havent had any serious probs ( well not since i had to do all the initial diagnosis and hospital stuff). well do diabetics qualify for service dogs? I dont plan on applying for one but it made me think..... cause way in the future i want to get another dane. so could i train it or get it trained to be my service dog and a therapy dog. Being a new diabetic im not sure if a service dog would come in handy if somthing did occur, but just a thought. i would not only love to take him to homes  and be able to do that stuff with me but i know training get a good bond and things. I know Nee is doing it and i think its awsome. well if anyone could give me info about it cause now my curiosity is driving me nuts i would be happy. thanks!!

-Harmony ??? ???

Offline Mark Dozier

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Service and therapy dogs for a diabetic?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 01:55:41 am »
Very interesting. Are you type one or type 2?
I have a great theapy dog for you to get. A Great Pyrenees. My Pyr was great for my wife. He would lay over her feet when they hurt. He knew when or if she was hurting and laying on the sofe he would climb up lay behind her and head on her hip until she would be better. If there is better therapy then that I don't know of it.
As far as a service dog goes, I don't know. Your mission should you decide to accpet it, is to find out and report back to us.

This post will self distruct at the worst possible time.
Good luck!!!
Mark Dozier
servant of
Rolly - Walker Coon Hound
Ozzie - Maremma
Siearra - Great Pryenesse

rickysmom1

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 02:33:22 am »
http://www.allpurposecanines.com/alert.html

http://www.heavenscentpaws.com/

Here are a couple of links that I picked up along my travels on the internet. My step-dad is a diabetic and I thought that this might be something he'd be interested in. One of the links offers a self taught course.

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 02:39:46 am »
Hmm makes me wonder...they have seizure alert dogs who pick up the before changes in ones body ... I wonder if they could train a dog to detect when ones sugar was dangerously high or low?? Since an episode of either direction could be as dangerous to one as an epileptic seizure is they would still qualify as a needed service dog.