Author Topic: Great Dane sitting  (Read 7035 times)

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Great Dane sitting
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:41:52 pm »
I am going to go home to my moms next week for the holiday and I am trying to get boarding information.  One of my friends is willing to keep him, but she knows nothing about Great Danes and I am worried that she won't heed my instructions (mostly about feeding, she free feeds her FAT dogs) and he will get sick. :-\  Anyways does anyone know the average price to board a dog??  I need to get to know more pet people in Vegas....I just don't want to leave him with someone who doesn't know how to take care of him. ???
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
Re: Great Dane sitting
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 12:04:15 am »
*tap tap* is this thing on?
I am kind of a big deal!

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 12:12:37 am »
I'm sorry Stacey, I haven't had to board my dogs in years, so I can't be much help. I would say your best bet is to get the phone book and start calling places around you. Once you get a quote I would "drop by" to see the facility and talk to some of the employees. Anyplace that isn't willing to give you a tour and talk to you  wuldn't be a place for my dogs.
Stella

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 12:40:09 am »
UGH!  I hate worrying about this!  I have never boarded a dog before, so this is unfamiliar territory for me.  I also hate the thought of him confined to a kennel or a run....I am just too picky I guess.  I cannot find much on the internet as far as prices go, I just wanted an idea of what to expect before I started checking tomorrow.
Thanks! :)
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 01:03:55 am »
If you were closer, I'd say he could stay here (I board dogs on rare occasion).  Generally speaking (haven't had to board in awhile........ ...before Gunther) rates start at around $15 and can go up to $30 a day depending on the place.  Where I used to board Keiko was I believe $12-$20 depending on the room (standard, deluxe, or luxury).  I got deluxe, which was an indoor/outdoor run for $15, plus and extra $5 for an additional play time in the exercise yard.  Plus an additional $1.50 for each administration of meds.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 01:25:35 am »
The kennel I work at is $16.00 a day...I'd hurry up and look for one, most of the ones around here (Oregon) are filling up fast! I know Parkdale is almost full for the thanksgiving holiday!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 11:29:36 am »
Talk to people in your vet's office.  Ask them for recommendation s for a place that is clean, has high health standards for all the other dogs who are boarding and then ask for people who have boarded there.  Get recommendation s from them. 

Really, I would prefer your friend who you know and just leave her explicit feeding instructions.  It's so easy for them to pick up various diseases from boarding facilities and if your friend's dogs are healthy I think it's safer.  I know a  number of people whose dogs have come home with kennel cough, or icky eyes or injuries.

Because Cowboy has medical issues, he costs us a fortune to board  because most places want nothing to do with an epileptic dog who requires rectal valium :o!  He and Chester usually stay with a friend who has 7 Newfies!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2005, 08:09:21 pm »
Call your vet for recommendation s about boarding places. They should also be able to give you good recommendation s at a nice pet store... One thing I would consider would be calling doggy daycare facilities. Many of them also do boarding. When we have to  board zoey we sent her to board at her old doggy daycare place, so she got to run and play all day instead of being cooped up.
RIP former BPO

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2005, 08:18:04 pm »
Hey I am in Vegas!!!!  I might be able to help.  email me and let me see what I can do.  Would you mind a house sitter.  I have a few friends who just come stay to take care of the furry children.  I would have your baby come here but my mojos don't even like Willow.  They would have a complete fit if another big dog moved in - although Willow would love it!!!!  just email me
brigid67@yahoo.com

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 12:43:22 am »
bump

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:23 am »
 I just emailed you
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 01:01:31 am »
got it - mailed you back

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 01:26:25 am »
back to you.....i tried to call you, no answer......ar e you breaking up with me?? haha :D
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 01:30:26 am »
Hi Stacy,

I know someone (A Great Dane someone) in the Vegas area that might be available to board your "baby" for you.

I just sent her an email ... I will let you know of her reply.

Barbara

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 01:36:48 am »
AWWW You guys are the greatest :-*!!  I am soooo stressed out right now, I don't want to consider cutting my trip short (because I really need the rest and the help with my daughter) and I really miss my family!  Thanks for everyones help so far, it means a lot.
I am kind of a big deal!