Author Topic: My dogs were fighting  (Read 31263 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: My dogs were fighting
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2005, 12:43:44 pm »
hehe he is doing just fine, but he is a grouch for some reason. He is not at all happy with Hera and has shown signs of bad behaviour towards Galahad too, so I will have him very well checked out when I take him to the vet.

And yeah..... mmmmmmm I am soooo getting hungry lox (we would spell it lax) is soooo good. I also love it with homemade cold potatoe salad. And I have my fav. salmon. I buy the fillets and put it in an oven dish with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, fresh dill and lemon on top, a little cream around and bake it, make a sauce of cream/milk dill, salt pepper and a bullion cube with garlic and parsly and serve with boiled potatoes. Ohhhh gosh.... I have to go eat something  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline NatsaintB

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2005, 01:03:45 pm »
I've never heard of Lox or Lax? But here in Washington we have great fresh fish!  Halibut is by far my favorite, well after Lobster of course.  It's so interesting to hear about how the everyone lives, eats, sports teams, etc.  We are all so spread out and different and soooo interesting.  I just love hearing about all of it, which may be why I'm so addicted to you all!  Keep telling stories!

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2005, 05:22:29 pm »
That was wonderfully said.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2005, 06:58:50 am »
Just wanted to check in and see how they are doing now.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2005, 12:10:53 am »
Thanks for asking. Well, Zeus has decided that he is going to be the "problem kid" in the family. The only dog he gets along with anymore is Buffy. It is so far a total mystery to why he is acting this way. Still working on trying to figure out what and why and how, have had some tests done but nothing that explaines to why he all of a sudden has turned into a dog aggressive dog. It is a sad thing really, I have gotten used to work around the problem, but I am not totally happy about it, I guess it would be easier and less worrying if I knew why. He is super fine with Buffy, but he cant even stand to look at Hera, and he has shown signs that are way way out of line with Galahad. And I am not taking risks there, I know he has been in fight and most likely would fight even Galahad even though he is a puppy, and i am not going to let that happen, the safest way to get a dog to be dog aggressiv is to have them be attacked by another dog, and especially if it happens when they are babies.

Soooo at least for now, Zeus and Buffy is group one and Galahad and Hera group two and thats how they are teamed up when we do stuff with them too. I wish is wasnt that way, and hopefully things can be corrected and changed if we can figure out whats up.

Marit

dohertyswissy

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2005, 09:06:04 am »
Oh, Marit, I'm sorry to hear that Zeus hasn't bounced back like you had hoped.  Please keep us posted on how things progress.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that he relaxes and all the pups can be one happy family.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2005, 11:32:03 am »
Thanks Heather, yes it is kinda sad, not only does it make a difference for him, but for Buffy too, I dont want Zeus to be alone, so since Buffy is the only one he can be with, she tends to be separated from the other dogs too. I try to make a point of Having her with the other ones but sometimes it is just not happening as much as I wish.

I still have hopes that whatever it is, he will get back to his  normal self

Marit

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2005, 12:54:39 pm »
My house has the seemingly random dog fight every once in a while (probably 2-3 times in the past year).  It always ends the same with Rocco penning Maia to the ground by her neck.  I have never seen how they start because I'm sure if I was watching they wouldn't do it.  The only blood we have had is from bitten lips or ears. 
I seperate them and then let them both back out and they kiss and make up.  I think my guys it's like human kids having sibling rivalry.  You did great with grabbing his back legs.  I learned that trick in one of our obediance classes.  Also never try to get in the middle if you can't get a clear grab or if you feel nervous about grabbing them.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline diezel22

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2005, 07:25:52 am »
Sorry to hear about you dogs fighting - I have had bull mastiffs all of my life and have conducted much research on the breed.  The one thing i did learn was no matter how young you introduce bull mastiffs to other dogs, they will most likely never get along.  After months and months of reading and follow ups on the breed - many books stated that bull mastiffs will only get along with its own breed.   They are very protective dogs and they rule there house.  Your lucky that you got to the dogs in time b/c bull mastiffs and other bullie breeds have much different jaw structures than other breeds.  For instance, your husky has a long nose with sharp teeth, the worst it could have done to the mastiff was puncture it which would require stiches, but a bull mastiffs mouth or any dog with a short snout uses its back teeth to take chunks out skin - they can cause a lot of damage to other dogs and even humans.   I know that both dogs are part of the family but if those dogs dont get along - it would be wise to get rid of one of them - otherwise next time you might not be so lucky

Offline Bosmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2005, 01:22:40 am »
interesting.  But I think it's the mastiff that is fine with everyone and it's actually the husky that is the problem child.

Offline Mirabelle

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2005, 07:15:58 am »
Just a question, that may have been answered but I didn't see it.  Did you ever have his Thyroid tested?  I know someone suggested it.

If you haven't yet, ask the Vet to do a full Michigan Panel test.  Not an in-office test (it's not comprehensive enough).  They have to send it out, but you'll know everything about his thyroid after that.  And if it's fine, at least you'll have a baseline to go by later in case anything shows up.

We have the same problem with certain girls.  Mira a Newf, and Maggie a Golden HATE Lucy and Lucy hates them.  Lucy IS the problem.  She started on them when they were puppies - mothering/smothering.  Mira wanted none of it and as soon as the little Newf got big enough to say "STOP IT" effectively, she did.   Lucy had done the same to Maggie, who's a smaller Golden than Lucy, so Maggie made sure she had Mira on her side, and now they MUST be kept apart from Lucy.  They BOTH hate Lucy.  It's gotten pretty nasty in the past, but no serious injuries. 

Separating them is a serious pain in the rear, but it keeps Lucy alive!!

Hope all is well with your boy now.  How's everything going?

Visit our family at www.ardeagold. com

doggylover

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2006, 12:33:42 am »
You say you didn't feel very brave when you stepped in, but that is what courage is, doing something when it IS scary.  My heart raced just reading it, I can't begin to imagine the horror of being there.  Good luck and I hope everything works out with the situation.