Author Topic: Koby can actually learn something!! YAY!!  (Read 3391 times)

Anakalia

Koby can actually learn something!! YAY!!
« on: November 16, 2005, 11:30:34 am »
Ok so all of you probably know, Koby's not the brightest bulb in the box, but we make due with his ummm..."issues". LOL  He's got what you call selective hearing.  Only listens to us if we have a yummy delicious treat in hand.  Well remember that pic of my wall with the hole in it from his foot?  After being outside he'd come into the house and blast through the kitchen living room and hallway doing his zoomies.  And if he had wet paws 98% of the time he'd biff it in the kitchen, looked like a baby deer on ice!  He'd fall and hurt his hip.  SOOOO I got this idea to train him how to slow it down a bit.  With the snow and ice this winter I wanted a command to let him know he needed to take it easy.  So I'd hold onto his collar and say SLOW and he'd walk all nice and pretty.  Well a couple days ago it was icky muddy and wet out and I brought him in the house and said SLOW and he tip toed into the living room! hahahah I'm serious it looked like he was slowly tip toing on the laminate flooring to get to the carpet!! I about busted a gut watching that so now every time he comes in from outside I say my super cool command SLOW and he tip toes. lol  It's way to funny and yeah, I'm easily amused but thought I'd just share my story.....I'm way too happy about it!!!  My dog actually can learn something, it's so amazing to me!  Now I should point out that once he hits the carpet the zoomies are ON but hey, baby steps. lol  At least he won't be breaking his hip anytime soon.

And for all of you that read this post and was totally bored to tears, heres a Koby pic for you! hehehe
 ;D

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Koby can actually learn something!! YAY!!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 11:38:50 am »
Congrats!  Koby is at the threshold of education! ;D  Just think what you can teach him next!  I tell mine to "stop" when they come inside from a wet, muddy run, and they will let me wipe their feet with a towel (sometimes).
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 11:52:03 am »
Congrats!  Koby is at the threshold of education! ;D  Just think what you can teach him next!  I tell mine to "stop" when they come inside from a wet, muddy run, and they will let me wipe their feet with a towel (sometimes).

I've tried and tried and tried again to get Koby comfortable with me touching his paws but he goes psycho on me!  I've tried wiping his paws off many times and the same thing happens....I get punched in the face by his jinormous paws.  He freaks out!  So we've compromised and he stays in the kitchen prancing around till all the mud comes off then I wipe everything up with a towel.  It works for me I'd rather wipe it up that way instead of having to get out the carpet shampooer to the the mud out of the cream carpet, waaaayy too much work there.

Since he turned smart about the slow command hopefully next he'll realize "OH, mom doesn't want me stealing food off her plate?  And she doesn't like my wet nose in her face when she's eating?  Hmmm Ok I'll just go lay down and be patient while they're eating!!"  ::) I can only hope!

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 11:52:18 am »
Yay for Koby!  Isn't it great when you see the moment when something you have been trying to teach them clicks in? 

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 11:59:27 am »
I'm calling Koby a late bloomer, cause he's been totally stupid up til now...well he still is sometimes, but like I said....baby steps!  You'd think after the millionth time of repetition he'd get it, and finally 1 command sunk in.  Normally when a command is said he turns his head to the side and stares off into space like, "What, huh, no I thought I heard something....m ust have been a breeze nope no commands I didn't hear anything!" :o :o 

Anybody watch Spongebob?  If Koby lived in the sea he'd be Patrick! :)

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 12:03:35 pm »
YAY KOBE!!!  See, he's special in a good way Andi, not the short bus way!  I'd be super proud and show off his special tip toeing ability at family functions.  Hey, you gotta flaunt what you got.   ;D 

CONGRATULATION S!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAAAAAA!!   You said "short bus way"! LMAO!!!  Woman, you crack me UP!

Andi