Author Topic: Petra Behaving SO Well  (Read 5728 times)

smohr

Petra Behaving SO Well
« on: November 16, 2005, 03:38:26 pm »
Hi All;
UPDATE:  Petra has been behaving so well.  I have been very ill and still  taking care of my mom, so the behaviorist suggested my hubby take the Alpha role since Petra's first owner was a man.  Petra began behaving with my hubby like she was a perfect angel.  NO MORE BITING, NOT EVEN A NIP!!!  She has let me trim her nails back and front ONCE and will let me do a few at a time.  So far so good... 
The only problem we have now...my mom is facing surgery and coming home w/me again.  We don't know how to keep Petra from hurting her once the surgery is done (knee surgery) and she cannot return to her own home.  I had no idea when I got a new puppy that my mother would be living with us.  This is becoming so complicated just as Petra has become such a sweetie.   :-[
Keep us in your thoughts and prayers please.  I don't want to loose her because my mom is here.   :'(  Sheesh...

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Petra Behaving SO Well
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:44:55 pm »
It could be that they will both be just fine!  Petra will learn to accept her as part of the family if your mom  does the same sort of positive reinforcement that you guys have been doing!!  Maybe your mom could have little treats around for her at special " good girl" times. 

I'm so sorry that you have been ill as well.  Boy, sometimes it feels like there's no end to problems, huh.  That old saying, 'that which doesn't kill you makes you stronger' maybe overused, but it seems to apply here!!!  Get better!! ;D ;D ;D

I think sometimes dogs sense when someone isn't feeling well and it's not the time to mess around!  It is so amazing that she's come so far!  You guys are awesome! ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 03:46:57 pm by newflvr »

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 10:35:48 am »
Funny, I was just wondering how things were going. I glad her behavior has improved just stick with the behaviorists suggestions/recommendations and hopefully everything will be fine. You know dogs pick up on these things, so try not to stressed and remain happy and calm. (That way Petra won't get confused by your emotion/behavior and a new addition to your home.)

Best Wishes,
Deena

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 11:53:12 am »
I'm so happy for you and Petra. Everyone's suggestions here have been great. The only thing I can think to add is to maybe have your husband keep the alpha role while your mom is there since you will probably be the one tending to her most often. That will free you up for your mom and Petra will learn to rely more on your husband for guidance and obedience. She may start to bond more closely to him and that will keep her out from under your feet as well.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 08:57:37 pm »
I'm glad to hear things are going well for Petra :) She's come a long way
RIP former BPO