Author Topic: What supplements, if any, do you give your dog?  (Read 6544 times)

Yaz

What supplements, if any, do you give your dog?
« on: November 17, 2005, 09:27:19 am »
Curious to know what supplements other big dog owners give their dogs.  I myself give Omega-3 as well as a glucosamine chondroitin & MSN supplement. I know a bully breeder who gives her dogs kelp as well as calcium and glucosamine. Anyone else out there believes in the validity of supplementing? I think it will be interesting to see in 8 - 10 years time, if the average life span of big dogs increases due to better quality food and supplements (fingers crossed!).

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: What supplements, if any, do you give your dog?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 09:31:19 am »
I use Vitamin C here and there...I would never add calcium if the person is feeding kibble...there is a Calcuim phosphurus ratio that needs to be obtained...too much of one isnt that good for dogs

My dogs eat all raw...meat, bones and organs with an occasional Vit C
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Kiahpyr

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 09:33:56 am »
I supplement with glusocamine/chondroitin/msn supplement only. Hoping this will help with hips in the future. Kiah does come from a breeder with no problems, but that doesn't mean that it can't happen. She can be a maniac and sometimes I wonder if she's too hard on herself. The way it sounds is it's completely normal, but I still worry.

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 09:51:09 am »
yes put on them also sleep on soft Bed will stop any Calless!!!, also we have two saints use shed off pills good and shed x in food good coat! u need a lot it is a must and a good food Eagle pack, large breed! m,l,!!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 08:48:21 pm »
I supplement with the same things as you: cosequin (gluc/chondroitin/msm) for hips, and fish oil (omega 3) for coat.
RIP former BPO

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 08:55:57 pm »
Glucosamine / Condrotin / MSM (Via Human  1000 mg tablets & SpringTime Joint Health) 3000mg a day of glucosamine
500mg of Esther C
2 Tablespoons of flax seed oil (Very high in Omega 3/6 for coat and joints)

Yogurt/Salmon on occasion sometimes also
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 08:56:52 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 11:32:15 pm »
ground flaxseed meal, multi vitamin for dogs, vitamin e caps, olive oil.  i do add bone meal powder to the veggie/fruit mush.  no need to do this when giving rmbs, though.   as a puppy i did give vit c. 
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 10:33:23 am »
ester c, folic acid. fotified wheat germ oil,,,,,,,,,,,
and of course treats. the ester c is great for everything, our nandi is on folic acid, she is pregnant, and the 1 tsp of oil daily makes the coat shine!
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

DakotaMom

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 12:02:07 pm »
We use a supplement that has a lot of good things added. It is called Dr. Kruger's Ultimate Supplement Joint & Muscle Formula. I have been using it for years and am very happy with it.

The guy that came up with the formula is a vet that used to show dogs. They are a very nice company to deal with and have a great guarantee. They will even send you a small bottle to try for free.

http://www.drkruger.com

I know one Leo owner that was having skin issues that had tried every supplement imaginable, once he tried this stuff all the skin problems stopped.

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 12:32:20 pm »
Dakotamom,

Thanks for your advice, I've just ordered a sample of their puppy formula for Kate.  Looking forward to trying it out!

Offline waffles717

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 04:41:22 pm »
Start asp!! will not hurt u will see your dogs skin soft as baby;s skin,that is for sure!!not just his coat,! it is for the skin,nail,sthe digesi,u have less vet vis, all that!!molly and maggie!! going to ryan's Chisening tomarrow, he is our second GrandChild, he is so cute 2 mo almost 3 mo and is 17 pounds he is Big!!Our other Grandson tommy is two he is a Dussy,it will be a fun Day!!!l,molly & Maggie!!
This Beethoven, he went to vet yesterday, he is 36 pound and only 9 weeks old!

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 04:48:24 pm »
Fumbles breeders are very particular about their dogs vitamins and suppliments! I swear Fumble has more stuff running through his body that any of my family does!!! We give him Glucosamine and Chondriton, Mega C Plus in the morning, Vitamin C at night, Flax-Seed Oil every night, And Vita-Sorb every ten days (an eye dropper full). The Vitamin C has been proven to really help with the hips and i believe that Ester  C is even better to use!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!