Author Topic: Color change?  (Read 3962 times)

Luvmydanes

Color change?
« on: May 05, 2005, 03:20:59 pm »
Dane is black, and lately I have been noticing that his coat is getting lighter, almost a light brown color. I have talked to a few people who say it is just dead hair and needs to be brushed out. We brush him a few times a week, and it isn't helping. Any tips or ideas? I saw at petco that they have special shampoos for dogs with black coats that we might try, but thought I'd try here first to see if you guys had any good ideas. Thanks!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Re: Color change?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 04:34:47 pm »
When Bear was a baby and beginning to lose the soft puppy coat he had what I thought were really cool looking "natural highlights". Come to find out, it was his sunburned hair and had been combed out so much there was nothing we could do but dye it when he finally looked like an all brown dog in the sun.  :D All info we have gotten on the shampoo dye from the stores said that it doesn't work and our breeder recommended regular people hair dye. It worked wonders on his coat & made our boy balck again. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:37:05 pm »
People dye huh? That is a funny thought! :) Is it funny that I use conditioner on my dogs, like my good conditioner that I use on my hair, just so their coats will be nice and soft and smell good. I know, I'm weird. lol

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 10:16:58 pm »
I just told my husband about this post (he thinks we're all weird dog people LOL) and he suggested we dye our IRISH wolfhound green. I just may do that someday when he's at work to be a smart @ss!  Though I think I would opt for the spray color that washes out after a bit!!!
(and he wonders why the fur babies are more attached to me?!) LOL

Vicki

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2005, 01:25:30 am »
Well, I am not sure about people hair dye, however, I did hear that dogs with grey muzzle's from age that are in movies have it dyed.  Someone told me what they used because you can't use a sharpie as it is toxic.  I do not remember what it is and if anybody knows, I would like to find out.  People do not lick their hair after they dye it like a dog would but I assume it is non-toxic.

Peggy
Peggy

Luvmydanes

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 09:10:15 am »
I was also curious about that as well. And wouldn't it be a pain to dye your dogs hair and not have them touch anything?
Vicki - That would be halarious if you died your pup green! DO IT!! lol I wonder what hubby would think? :)

Kandi

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 09:22:47 am »
Actually, we died Bear back to black twice and it wasn't really a pain. You don't leave the dye on long like you would a person. It's just for a few minutes then you wash and conditioner the fur as soon as he is covered in the dye. It wasn't toxic and didn't cause any skin diseases. It did make a mess though so we did do it outside and rinsed off with a hose. Then towel dried him and saw our perfect black dog again! Oh, and for the few white hairs he has now from getting bitten and losing his hair when playing(they grew back in white), we pluck them out so he is all black.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Luvmydanes

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 09:32:42 am »
Thats good to know, and sounds much easier. We usually bathe Dane outside anyways cause he is so huge.

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 09:40:19 am »
Hahahaha! My best friend has a Golden Retriever and her boyfriend has an Am. Bulldog mix (all white) and they quite often dye them both HOT PINK! It is really funny! They use Manic Panic brand and its totally non-toxic. It only has to stay on for a minute, and the results are really dramatic! Can you imagine them walking down the street with their two big hot pink dogs! Its SOOOOOOOOO funny!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D