Author Topic: getting my first grey next weekend  (Read 17146 times)

Offline starlit_10577

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
getting my first grey next weekend
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:59:51 am »
Hi i am new here and am getting my first grey next weekend. She is 10 and was a track dog but then they made her a brood mamma. So now she is coming here to are home to live out her days. I am so happy. I can't wait to see her, she has a long trip to get to me. She is coming from Kansas to Minnesota so that is a long way for her. I was trying to see if there is any advice someone can give me on how to make her happyer here she has been through so much.
Reese 1y pitbull
Baby 1 year pitbull
Angel 1 year pitbull

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: getting my first grey next weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 07:43:42 am »
I agree with Tina.  :)  Give the ol sweetie lots of love.  Other things that might help are lots of comfy places to sleep, yummy treats and lots of potty breaks.  Also a place that is her own that she can retreat to if she feels like some "peace and quiet".

Kudos to you for opening your heart and home to a senior doggie.  They are well worth it!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline starlit_10577

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 08:29:15 am »
Bell has been a brood mama for years now so she knows house life. I think she just needs a home to grow old in and am so glad I can give it to her
Reese 1y pitbull
Baby 1 year pitbull
Angel 1 year pitbull

Offline doglover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 08:43:39 am »
Don't have any advice, just wanted to say congrates.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 02:43:47 pm »
Bell has been a brood mama for years now so she knows house life. I think she just needs a home to grow old in and am so glad I can give it to her

Oh, that's great.  A brood mama down here would only know kennel life.  Racers and former racers here never see the inside of a house until they are adopted--if they are that lucky.  My brother's dog went from being a racer to being a vet school lab experiment dog, so his traumas were compounded.

I was going to say the same thing.  She's lucky if she got to live in a home while being a brood bitch.  That will make things alot easier if she's used to living indoors, has seen steps and glass doors and whatnot.

I also agree with the keeping her warm.  Living in MN, you'll need to go doggie clothes shopping, b/c when taking her outside, she'll need some kind of protection from the wind and cold.

I also might add that she may have a very high prey drive, although you probably already know that.  Former track racers, depending on how good they were, can have extrememly high prey drives, so if you have alot of cats, squirrels and rabbits in your neighborhood, watch out.  I know some retired racers that do great with cats and other small critters, but just be prepared.

Other than that, enjoy your new addition to the family.  I love greyhounds, and they wre my second choice behind great danes when I was looking at dogs.  I still want to get one someday.  Their temperments are so great.  Be sure to post pics when you get her.

Anakalia

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 07:23:05 pm »
OH Congrats!!!  Greyhounds are awesome, and I hope to be able to rescue one someday as well!  Everyone here has given great advice!!  She's so lucky to have you, sounds like you love her already! :D  The only advice I can give, is also what Moni said.  Get her a crate for "alone time" I had watched a show on animal planet about adopted greyhounds and it seemed like the rescues always told the adopters to have a crate ready for the greyhound so they have a place to go for quiet time, and in case they are a little shy or scared at first.  Other than that good luck with your new addition, I can't wait to see pics!!

Andi

Offline starlit_10577

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 09:21:54 pm »
Yes the funny thing is I do love her already. She Is a beautiful girl. My children are waiting just about as hyper as I am. We all can't wait. Do to the lack of good pet stores here we are making her a coat as self. I do have a pic of her that was sent to me. It is her and her last litter. They are 6 weeks in the pic.
Reese 1y pitbull
Baby 1 year pitbull
Angel 1 year pitbull

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 10:19:32 pm »
Awwwe, she's very pretty.

Offline starlit_10577

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 01:18:41 am »
I am so in love  ;D I can't wait
Reese 1y pitbull
Baby 1 year pitbull
Angel 1 year pitbull

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 08:04:51 am »
You won't regret it - greyhounds are very sweet dogs. My step dad had a few that raced and then were found good homes once retired (sadly that's the exception not the rule and many are dumped or badly treated). My step sister had on of the retirees and Lady lived to be 14. The only thing is they almost always have rotten teeth!

Offline poocheod

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 06:10:07 pm »
I have to agree with the post regarding Grey Hounds and dental carries-- I have an IT Greyhound (Gino) and he's now 14 yo and still has many years ahead of him. I am grateful for the advise that a vet gave us and said that if we pull all of his teeth he will live longer and feel much better. I have to say that he is now a younger "Gino" and has adapted well to wet food and his tongue hanging out of his mouth and off to the side. How cute. Gotta love it!!!