Author Topic: New to site, new Dane puppy, have some questions  (Read 8704 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
New to site, new Dane puppy, have some questions
« on: November 20, 2005, 06:27:56 pm »
Hi, this is our first dane and we are looking for a really good vet for her.  I went to our regular vet today for the first checkup, and they made a big deal about giving her absolutely no supplements, and putting her on large breed PUPPY food.  I have heard that she should never be on puppy food, adult food only, and that she needs supplements to help with her joints and such.  If someone has some helpful information on that I'd really appreciate it.  Also, does anyone know of the best way to find a large-breed vet in my area?  We live in St. Louis, MO, and I'm having no luck so far.  Thanks, stacy
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: New to site, new Dane puppy, have some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 06:43:05 pm »
Hey!  Welcome!  I understand that Nic sent you!  YEA!!  It's good to have you here!!
For a good vet referral, check with your local Dane club.  I have newfies and that's how I found the vet who doesn't worry about working with the big guys.  Many times, if you are lucky, you can actually find a vet who has a Dane and then the world is perfect!!!

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 06:50:01 pm »
Hello and welcome.  Your baby girl is gorgeous and giving me puppy pangs!  My name is Ang, and I've got a Dane baby, Sanity.

No puppy food whatsoever.  Well I take that back.  Eagle Pack makes a good Giant Breed puppy food.  And Solid Gold's Wolf Cub is good too.  A good Giant breed vet is worth their weight in gold no matter how fat they may be (Joke....)  I don't care if they have experience with large dogs, a Dane isn't a large dog, it's a Giant dog and suspect to SO many health issues that other dogs never even have to consider.  A good vet listens to the research that you've done (With a Dane you are constantly doing your own research), they respect everything you have to say, like RAW feeding, or concerns with vaccinosis.  They will take info you've given them about drugs (ie:  Danes shouldn't have Rimadyl). 

You kind of have to be your own vet/dietician/trainer when you have a Dane.  If you'd like to PM me I can give you a LOAD of Dane links to help you out, as well as some food reccomendation s.  The internet is seriously the Dane owner's best friend.  Use it to your full advantage.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 06:55:43 pm »
Hello everyone, thanks for the kind welcome.  I've never been on a discussion board before, so be patient with me.  I'm still learning my way around this site as well.  As far as the supplements, is that something that I should wait to discuss with our as-of-now unknown vet, or should I start her on these now?  Also, is it better to put her on one of those good-quality puppy foods, or should we just keep her on ADULT food.  What kind do you recommend?  Sorry  for so many questions, I just want to do the best that I can with her.  Thanks.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 06:57:52 pm »
What food are you feeding now?  Personally I've never done supplements, but I know that I should.    What you feed depends on your dog, and your area.  It took me a YEAR to find a food that Sanity actually did well on. 

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 11:30:58 pm »
Like was previously mentioned, the big thing it to watch the protein content...25% or less is a must, so if you can find a premium large breed puppy that offers that % or below and the suppliments, then that should do fine.  Did the breeder where you got maggie from have any brand suggestions?  do you know what she was being fed there? 
I feed mine Diamond Large Breed... has all the suppliments, high quality and reasonably ( for premium food) priced.  I've been using that brand for a pretty good while now and am pleased with the results. 
I've asked a co-worker of mine in St. Louis to check with his vet to see if there is one up there that specializes in Giant breeds.  If he comes back with a name, I'll post it here tomorrow.
Good Luck.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline nickerbokker

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • i'm a big boy now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:23:10 am »
awwwww...thank s kook~  and everyone else!  she's all excited to be here!
NICKI

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:56:51 am »
awwwww...thanks kook~  and everyone else!  she's all excited to be here!
If it's not the elusive Nicks!!! ;D :) :-*

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 01:54:44 pm »
Wow everyone, thanks for all the helpful advice.  We talked to the head of the GDCA in California last night, Suzanne, and she recommended, along with the Dane lady, to feed her Eagle Pack large or giant breed puppy food.  We looked and the protein levels seem to be in the appropriate range, so I think we'll give that a try.  As far as finding a vet, I'm hoping to hear from the one guy here in St. Louis that does all the Dane ear crops- all the breeders here recommended him- maybe he's a large breed vet or know's who I should go to.  I'll keep you posted.  You guys are all great.  Thanks again.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:45 am »
1st I have to say that your baby is so very cute!!!.. Willow is about 6mos old she is my 1st dane.  I did a ton of research and still do.  You have gotten a lot of really great info.  Not much I could add.  I feed Willow raw food.  It has worked out really well for us.  Easier then I 1st thought.  As for supplements - I give vit C, fish oil, MSM, kelp.  Ian Billinghurst has a few good books on nutrition.  His books are mostly about raw feeding but the supplement sections are good even if you are feeding commercial prepared food.  The vet I have is a holisti vet so she is very understnding about vaccines etc.  Anyway, let meknow if you have any questions
Timmie

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 01:22:36 pm »
Hey there, how's it going?  We found a food that we think should be good- Eagle Pack.  Anyway, I'm still having no luck with a vet, so if you hear anything.....   Today's the first day since we got her that she's at home by herself, in her crate.  Wes is going home to let her out and feed her at lunch, and then we're having someone else come over later to let her out too.  I just feel so bad, she's so teeny!  I really hope she can make it 3 hours at a time!  Yesterday she didn't hold it, I came home after being gone for 2 hours, to a crate full of poop :P

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 01:26:22 pm »
The rule of thumb is an hour for every month they are plus one.  So if she's 8 weeks old she can hold it for 3 hours.  And also, from my experience, as SOON as you get home they go out.  Don't stop to check messages or tie your shoe or ANYTHING!  And don't worry.  They get over that Teeny thing really fast :)

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 03:29:22 pm »
 but hi! I'm Melissa, owned by a 7 almost 8 month old Newfoundland boy, Bava. Bava is eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul which is low protein.

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 03:31:44 pm »
but hi! I'm Melissa, owned by a 7 almost 8 month old Newfoundland boy, Bava. Bava is eating Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul which is low protein.

ignore that i'm not mellissa i was just trying to quote her and say i feed chicke soup too my puppy loves it and her coat is really shiny and her poop is good and solid.  at 4mnth 2 wks she is 60 lbs i think that is about right weight wise for her age

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 03:38:53 pm »
You have a Dane too?  She's the sweetest little thing ever.  She follows us around everywhere and climbs in our laps, and just lays there.  That's all she wants to do.  I finally found a toy that she does like though- a rubber ball with a little bell in it so it makes noise all the time.  She throws it all over the place and pounces on it- apparently she thinks she's a cat.