Author Topic: Another scary event  (Read 2620 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Another scary event
« on: November 23, 2005, 01:13:51 am »
Ok - we had another Willow / Irie confrontation.  I am really worried about this.  Willow was sleeping on the end of my bed and Irie walked by  - Willow leaped off the bed and attacked Irie.  I mean I was right there and it was completely unprovoked.  Usually, Irie has started something.  But this time she was completely innocent.  Willow tried to pick her up and shake her.  I stopped it before anyone got hurt.  But this is just crazy.  I mean Irie could end up dead.  And Willow is only 70lbs.  How am I going to break it up when she is 120lbs.  I just don't know what it was all about.  They can be just fine together.  Today they were even sleeping next to each other.  Irie jumped up on the couch right next to Willow  - no problems.  I just don't know what to do about this - it is making me very nervous.  I can't have Willow just lunging unprovoked at Irie or at anyone/thing else for that matter.  The trainer is meeting with me next Tuesday - maybe she will be able to help.

The only thing I can think of is that Willow had a bone earlier (I have been trying to throw them all away when they pop up - that is what the majority of the fighting is about) in about the same spot Irie was when Willow attacked.  Maybe Willow thought the bone was still there.  I don't know where that bone is but it wasn't there after the fight.  Any comments or suggestion would really help. 
Timmie

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Another scary event
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 01:25:30 am »
Hmmm it sounds like Willow is resource guarding. Harley does this with bones big time. She never lunges at Dilbert but she will growl/bark and then grab the bone.  Dilbert won't even be near the bone and she will do this. He'll walk by and then she goes to grab an bone. So It seems to me like Willow might have thought that the bone was there and that is why she reacted that way. When Harley does this I correct her and say no bark. And all is fine. But make sure that if she has a bone, or any toy that really likes, you can always get it out of her mouth without her growling or snapping at you, expecially if you have kids. I have done this with Harley and Dilbert, Harley has never done anything to me, but Dilbert bit me once when he was 3 months old; and we have always tested him since then. He has never bit me or Tim ever since then. Sorry for writing a book here LOL. But by the sounds of it you are right on the money with the bone guarding. I think that they are still trying to work out the pecking order too, and Willow is trying to be on top. Harley is the top dog in our house and she guards the bones too. Hope this helps

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 01:28:28 am »
Nina,
I think that is what is going on - I hope so and it is not something else.  I can take everything out of Willow's mouth - even put my hand in her food dish.  Irie is very bad about guarding bones etc.  And Irie will not back down - it may get her killed.  It just scares and upsets me so - makes me feel like crying

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 11:52:06 am »
I know it can be scary, I was so scared of Dilbert when he bite me and when him and Harley Harley didn't get along. I thought that we would have to find another home for him. But now they are inseperable. We found out that we didn't introduce them properly. Tim looked up introducing new pets into the family and we did it all pver again. Took all toys from them ect and he worked with them for a whole night. And it worked. They still challenge each other but in a friendly way, and Harley will let Dilbert know when she has had enough. I would maybe try and introduce Willow into the family again, and let Irie be the top dog in the house, she gets pet first, fed first ect. This way it will let Willow know that she is not the top dog. We also have a cat and we taught the dogs to be gentle with her, used the word gentle and easy, and it has worked, even when she gives them a huge slap in the face, they never bark or touch her. maybe try and teach Willow to be gentle with Irie and teach Irie not to snap at Willow. Believe me I know it is hard and to be honest Tim did most of the work with solving this problem for us. But it did work for us. I know that it is harder for you because you have a small and big dog to work with, I have 2 big dogs so it was a little easier. Just keep up the good work and don't give up hope.  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 12:16:36 pm »
Thank you Nina for all of your good advice.  That is a very good idea.  I have a trainer coming on Tyesday.  Besides teaching me to teach Willow some manners.  She also wants to come to my house so she can see how the dogs react to one another. I have told her some of the stuff so she said she thinks she can help with this issue also.  I really want to do everything possible.  I don;t want someone hurt or have to find Willow a new  home because of his.  I know there must be some way to make this pack a little more cohesive.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving
Timmie

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 12:30:07 pm »
Thanks Holly - I really hope so - it can be so stressfull.  Willow is pretty good with the cat.  She chases when she is playfull but she has tried several times to cuddle with the cat.  Picasso isn't really into it though.

I hope your little poodle comes home soon.
Timmie