Author Topic: New here-just adopted Star  (Read 2884 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
New here-just adopted Star
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:30:54 pm »
Hi! I've been lurking here for a few months, and finally got my first dane! Her name is Star and she's five years old. We adopted her from MAGDRL yesterday, and already she's fitting nicely into our family.

The rest of the family includes my husband, two kids (5 and 8 years old), a chow/akita mix named Max, and two cats. So far, Star is not eating much, but loves to lean against you and get belly rubs! She is drinking some water, so I'm thinking the loss of appetite is due to the stress of a new home. She does prefer Max's dog food to hers (and Max likes hers better), and she lights up when there's people food around! I'm not too concerned, yet

We are looking forward to getting to know her more, and I hope to learn lots from you on this board!

Tracy
Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: New here-just adopted Star
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 07:38:44 pm »
She's gorgeous!  A lot of people here have experience with Danes who probably can give good advice!  Welcome to the Big Paws Family, though and we DO like lots of pics!!

I am loved by two Newfs, Cowboy and Chester, so well come to the two-dog family as well!! ;D

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:39:49 pm »
Hi Tracy!

My name is Ang and I have a gorgeous (I'm biased) Dane named Sanity.  I saw that your profile says you're in Durham.  It's a long shot but is that NH?  I'm in New Boston, and I thought it'd be cool if we could have a Dane Date!
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:32 pm »
Hello and welcome.

My name is Chris, and I am owned by a husky/shep Keiko, and a great dane Gunther.  Your Star is beautiful!!

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:49 pm »
Welcome to you and Star.. she looks like a happy girl from your avatar.  As long as she is eating some and drinking (and all is passing well), I wouldn't worry about her being a little picky right now... she'll adjust with time.  When I brought feste home, he had his tail between his legs constantly for the 1st month and didn't eat much but that went away quickly enough and now there are times that I'd like to tape it down   :o lol.. (not really, I just want to pad it some).
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 02:00:37 pm »
Welcome!  Your Star looks like my Bella!  She'll fit in and find her place in the "pack" and all will be well.  Give her some time.  I think Danes just take a while before they "calm" down.  Good for you adopting her.  And we are certainly happy to have you as part of our crazy, slightly-dysfunctional family! ;D