Author Topic: New pup hates cold weather  (Read 9018 times)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
New pup hates cold weather
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:06:41 am »
Maggie absolutely refuses to go outside now, since it's gotten so cold.  We have to pick her up and carry her out, and pull her to get her to move at all once out there.  Then, she stands there and looks at you, and just cries.  She sounds like someone's killing her, she's so loud!  Any suggestions to help with this?  We are trying to learn housebreaking right now, so this is causing quite a problem.   How can we make her like it outside?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 01:18:40 am by Maggie's Mom »
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

GR8DAME

Re: New pup hates cold weather
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 02:02:04 am »
If it is the cold, put a coat on her. If she is food motivated, entice her outside rather than drag her. Try and make the potty breaks fun, take a ball outside and play a little bit , then try your potty word. Run around like you are having a great time, and she might be less resistant. Just a few suggestions. Good luck.
Stella

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 01:50:59 pm »
Those are some good ideas, I'll give 'em a try.  I do go outside with her every time though, I don't send her on her own.  She just stands there and shivers and cries.  Even if I try to walk around and get her to move with me, she's not a big fan of it.  This is just not the best time of the year to be housebreaking.  Thanks.

cricket36580

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 02:03:33 pm »
Sweat shirts with the arms cut off make wonderful temporary coats.  Also, booties aren't difficult to make.  Mine don't like the cold either so I try to make outside time short.  However, mine will go out and do business and come right back in.  Good luck...

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 08:43:26 pm »
Yeah, I was told that this is not the best time to bring home a puppy (for these weather reasons), but do I ever listen?  No, we wanted the dog now, and now all of us (including her) have to suffer in the freezing outdoors!!! :D  The funniest part is that it's not even close to what it'll be in a few weeks.  Right now it's only in the low 40's to 30's.  Soon, she'll really know what cold is! :o   I went out today and got a heavy winter coat!  I'm ready now! ;D

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 08:58:08 pm »
Hubby just shakes his head. For some reason I always get to puppy jonesing in the winter, and in a couple of days it's the pitter patter of little paws...It was only last year, I was standing in the backyard in jammies and a winter coat at 2 AM, PLEADING for "potty, Strider, potty." through chattering teeth...While he danced around, chasing snowflakes. LOL. 
Stella

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 09:13:31 pm »
That sounds absolutely miserable!  Thank god that she sleeps through the night already! ;D  I've had my fair share of 3-in-the-mornings with past dogs, and they are not fun.  Maggie goes out for the last time at around 10pm, and she doesn't even budge until 7:30am ;D  That is such a treat!!!

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:16:59 pm »
Hubby just shakes his head. For some reason I always get to puppy jonesing in the winter, and in a couple of days it's the pitter patter of little paws...It was only last year, I was standing in the backyard in jammies and a winter coat at 2 AM, PLEADING for "potty, Strider, potty." through chattering teeth...While he danced around, chasing snowflakes. LOL. 
Stella

That reminds me of Bear when we got him Stella. He was 12 weeks when I got him on Christmas eve...granted, it doesn't snow here but at 2 a.m. at 25-30 degrees in jammies it is pretty darn cold. Black Bear would run and try to play hide and seek.  :) It is cute and funny now but not at all when I could just think of my toasty warm bed.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 11:04:07 pm »
And what I love best is getting back in bed with that nice warm husband who YELLS, ' no cold feet! Get your feet off me!'  .....and why do you think  a woman gets married????!!!!

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 12:49:05 am »
I get the "no cold feet" thing too!  What do they think they're allowed in our beds for, if not for that? ;)  Actually, Maggie's doing much better this evening.  I guess you guys were right, I tried to make it more fun, and I guess it's working.  She's actually gone up to the door tonight on her own, and wanted to go out!  She's a goofball.

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 12:39:18 pm »
Willow is very picky about the weather.  When we 1st got her it was summer time.  In Vegas that means - 110-120 degrees.  Willow would not go out.  She is Canadian and I guess she would look at me  like"no way am I going out there - are you crazy?"  Now it is cold - getting down to 30-40' at night.  She asks to go out then just sits there with that same "you have got to be kidding me look".  What a princess!!!!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:13 pm »
I get the "no cold feet" thing too!  What do they think they're allowed in our beds for, if not for that?

I bought a bed warmer for that.  Cost a lot less than a wedding!  :D

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 06:14:11 pm »
see in my house my husband faithfully gets up with the puppy on the odd occasion when she still needs out at night.  i ususally feel so sorry for him i let him cuddle his cold parts on me

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 06:45:41 pm »
is it universal for puppies to hate their first snow? nikki is only 10months old, but she just doesn't care if it's snowing outside.. well, then again, it was cold in Jan when she was born so... or is it more breed specific? (her being a St. and all?)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 09:08:38 pm »
My husband and I made a deal that during the weekdays, I'll get up if she wakes in the night, since I don't work.  He then takes her out and feeds and plays with her before work, and I get up a little later.  Usually she sleeps all the way through until about 7:30, so I don't have to get up, but this morning at like 6am, my husband woke us all up with the loudest fart I've ever heard, and then he rolled all around making more noise, and then he started talking.   :P  Needless to say, Maggie woke up and needed to go out!  I told him since he woke her up, he had to take her out, and (surprisingly) he did! :D  I let him cuddle up when he got back, when I got finished laughing at Maggie's wake up call.  LOL.   ;D