Author Topic: Okay, tell me about chew toys  (Read 4228 times)

Offline mtaig12

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Okay, tell me about chew toys
« on: November 30, 2005, 12:49:02 pm »
Max (chow/akita) has never been big into chew toys. In his old age (11 years) he really couldn't care less. He does enjoy chewy treats (like rawhides), but plastic things aren't his thing.

So our latest addition, Star, found an old chew toy (squeaky football) and loved it. Threw it up in the air, pranced around with it, etc. Then the next day, she killed it-ripped it into little tiny pieces, and de-squeaked it. So, any recommendation for a tough-but-squeaky toy for her? Or do I have to resign myself to buying toys every few days? 

I gave both dogs a Kong w/ peanut butter, they turned up their noses. I think Star just likes the squeaking.

Help!
Tracy

Tracy and Mike - parents
Alex and Ian - kids
Max and Star - canines
Oscar and Emily - felines
Nibbles - hamster
North Carolina

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, tell me about chew toys
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 01:03:15 pm »
Hmmm... well I was about to recommend a Kong but if they didn't even like it with peanut butter in it... uh oh! Maybe put some cheez whiz in there and try that out. Or yogurt.
The ONLY things that last more than a day at my house are nylabones, the kong, a small fake tire with a rope through it, and your basic rope toy. Everything else is shredded within an hour. I still buy stuff for them every now and them so they can tear something up. They like tennis balls too, and sometimes those stick around a few days but lately Nigel has torn them apart right away.
Some dogs don't like the nylabones when you first give it to them. But when they are ready to chew and they find that thing handy, they seem to get into it. All 5 dogs here have come around and love the nylabone. They especially love it if they stole it from another dog who was chewing it first!!! ;D

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 01:04:51 pm »
may I introduce you to the Suspicious Chicken!

He's tough, he's sly, and may I say, just a little bit sexy! He has a deep-buried secret squeaky and loves a good shake and toss every now and then.

However, he has proved to be somewhat elusive to many BPO fans. I found him online at www.arcatapet. com

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 01:18:41 pm »
Kong makes a tennis ball, I think its called AirKong (someone correct me if I'm wrong).  Well they just made a new AirKong tennis ball with a built in squeeker in it.  Sophie loved it!!! and it lasted a good while till she chewed on the end with the squeeker so now its not very loud but she will still carry it around.

Her favorite toy is made by the same company as the Suspicious Chicken but it is a Snake.  She would easily tear the wings off the chicken but the snake has no extra pieces so she has not yet torn through it.  It is a great toy!
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:30:28 pm »
Here is a link to the squeeking tennis ball  http://www.dogtoys.com/kongairdog1.html

and here is a link to Sophie's Snake
http://www.dogtoys.com/snakeyanker.html

all of the Fat Cat (makes suspisious chicken) dog toys are great!  but if you have a strong chewer the limbs can easily be chewed off.
http://www.dogtoys.com/fatcat.html
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 01:52:28 pm »

He's tough, he's sly, and may I say, just a little bit sexy!

You are a sick woman.  And I love it!   :D

The Suspicious Chicken is quite popular in our house, as are the snake and the trout.  All have suffered some minor damage, but have held up pretty well overall. 
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 02:12:26 pm »
The snake lasted a while in our house, till Kiya got it. I haven't found a Kiya proof squeeky toy yet.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 03:07:40 pm »

He's tough, he's sly, and may I say, just a little bit sexy! He has a deep-buried secret squeaky and loves a good shake and toss every now and then.

However, he has proved to be somewhat elusive to many BPO fans. I found him online at www.arcatapet. com

Jeanne

Jeanne,
Thanks for the link.    They have good prices on toys.
Looks like Santa is bringing chicken for Christma!!

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 08:09:46 pm »
I highly recommend the Paw Tracks tire toy with rope. It does not have a squeaker, but it is practically indestructable . Zoey hates kongs too and she loves - I mean LOVES her tire. Her favorite activity is to run around swinging the rope in her mouth while the tire flaps around  :D

http://www.mammothpet.com/pawtracks.asp

And here is a picture of the toy in action:
RIP former BPO