Author Topic: My Dog Won’t Eat!  (Read 5074 times)

k2campbell

My Dog Won’t Eat!
« on: December 06, 2005, 11:36:57 am »
Has anyone experienced this (maybe) because of teething?  Kate usually eats like she’s starved, last night and this morning she wouldn’t eat (and we’ve always poured warm water over her food).  She seems to be feeling fine – playful, running, getting into mischief as always – but she won’t eat!  She ate a few treats (but) not her food...

Any advice guys?  ???

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: My Dog Won’t Eat!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 11:41:21 am »
Spotakiss would do that sometimes when he was a pup.I think just sometimes they arent hungry.Are you feeding her too much maybe?I wouldnt worry about it unless she doesnt eat for days,as long as hes still drinking water.Although Im no expert.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 12:04:06 pm »
Oasis did that once and I FREAKED OUT! He always gobbles down his food like it's his last meal. So, when he didn't eat, I called in to work bawling and said I had to run him to the vet right away.

Of course, there ended up being absolutely nothing wrong with him and when I came home that evening he gobbled his food down.

I agree, wait a day or two to see if she still doesn't eat, especially if she's not drinking either.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 12:47:19 pm »
I think the above posts had great advice. See if she eats tonight.

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 12:51:57 pm »
Daisy does this occasionally and it used to freak me out too.
We feed the dogs twice a day.   Some mornings she would rather sleep in than eat.   
I used to try to coax her to eat at noon time but now I don't do that.
I eliminate treats for the day and don't offer her food again until supper time. 
Sounds harsh but it works. 
If she didn't eat at supper time......I'm sure I'd freak out again.  :-\

-Wendy
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 01:38:05 pm »
If no other signs or symptoms of a problem, just ignore it. Mine will occaisionally not eat for a day and a half or so, then tuck in like there is no tomorrow. Try not to intice with special treats or goodies, unless you intend to keep on doing so, it can bring on picky eating. Mine always get a little something extra in their food at suppertime, such as a can split three ways, cottage cheese, chicken broth, or table scraps. But that is every night, before they decide to eat or not. I'm sure there are folks that would not agree, but it works for us.
Stella

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 01:56:29 pm »
I would just watch her for a day or two. Kiah got to a point where she wouldn't eat her food at all or the recommended amount. She was acting completely normal and would eat everything else. We switched her food and haven't had any problems since.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 02:25:02 pm »
She is a growing pup going in and out of growth spurts...when she is in a rapid one she prob chows down like a horse when she is slowing in her spurts she prob doesnt eat

Zero leaves his food alot and my pup is eating whole 5lb chickens without looking back LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 02:28:04 pm »
Chester does this ALL the time!!!!  He's been on a non-eating kick lately just looking at his bowl and walking away.  He's ALWAYS full of energy and ready for a romp, though so I'm just guessing that it's just as Babs said....he's between growth spurts.  I was sure that he' lost weight so I took him to the vet to be weighed.  He's almost 9 months and 97 pounds....so I'm guessing he's fine....

k2campbell

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 03:48:20 pm »
THANKS SO MUCH to all for your reassurance!

Our 'dog-sitter' just called (stops by every day at lunchtime to feed Kate and let her out).  She didn't eat her breakfast by the time the sitter got there, but she GOBBLED up her lunch!  YAY!!!  ;D

Maybe we'll start feeding her a bit less.  We feed her 1 cup at 7am, 1 cup at 12pm, 1 cup around 4:30pm and 1 cup at 9pm...

Thanks though guys - glad others have experienced this too (and) everything was fine with your doggies!!!

Kelly

Icerotti

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 04:01:52 pm »
Oh great news that she ate. It is scary when they change from thier normal routine. I usually give the eating thing by the second day. If they have not eaten anything..off to the vets we go. I think they are like us sometimes. You don't always feel 100% all the time.
My dads little mojo will eat really well for 1 day and coast for 2 days. ::)

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:24:47 pm »
WELL - Kate ate her lunch, but wouldn't eat her late afternoon dinner when I got home from work today!  ???  She ate about 1/4 of it maybe, then left it.  I usually feed her around 4:30pm, then go for a walk around 6pm.  Maybe I'll start feeding her AFTER her walk instead?  I don't know...

Good thing is she's feeling great (full of energy as usual), and doesn't have any weird symptoms.  She's drinking as per usual too, and hasn't had any treats.  I'm going to "try" and not worry about it for now.  It's hard though - that's all I can think about it seems!!!  ::)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 01:39:20 am »
ELL - Kate ate her lunch, but wouldn't eat her late afternoon dinner when I got home from work today!  Huh  She ate about 1/4 of it maybe, then left it.  I usually feed her around 4:30pm, then go for a walk around 6pm.  Maybe I'll start feeding her AFTER her walk instead?  I don't know...

Good thing is she's feeling great (full of energy as usual), and doesn't have any weird symptoms.  She's drinking as per usual too, and hasn't had any treats.  I'm going to "try" and not worry about it for now.  It's hard though - that's all I can think about it seems!!!  Roll Eyes

If it helps.....we are in the exact same place with Chester.  HE HATES kibble.  He just won't eat it!  HATES IT!!  I've tried to hand feed, mix with Cowboy's food (more success) and now, with Cowboy in hospital, with canned food.  HE JUST WON'T EAT!!  Some of it is the reaction of Cowboy being gone...no doubt, but it's now been three days!  He wanted, desperately, some of the boiled chicken and rice I prepared to take to the hospital (Cowboy won't eat canned food either!) but I'm at wits end.  I've got spoiled, rotten monster Newfs here!   ::) ::) ::) ::)