Author Topic: Possible side effect of Cephalexin?? Any help?  (Read 2785 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Possible side effect of Cephalexin?? Any help?
« on: November 25, 2005, 03:57:50 pm »
Hey, Im not sure if anyone can help me, but Fumble was just put on Cephalexin for a Staff infection w/ his skin. He has been fine with the medication except for the fact that he smells really bad, kind of like fish, which is very unusual for him, and we gave him a bath two days ago. If anyone has any ideas if this is a side effect i would appreciate it greatly?!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

cricket36580

Re: Possible side effect of Cephalexin?? Any help?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 04:59:51 pm »
Keflex, which is what he has, is very strong.  Chances are that it is kiling off the good bacteria in his gut.  Give him some yogurt or acidofolous - found at the local health store.  Check the dog food and make sure he's not getting lots of yeast.  And ABSOLUTELY NO BEER!   ;D Just kidding.  Also, if you have access to fresh eggs, you could give him one a day for awile.  And Flax seed oil...

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 06:12:34 pm »
Poor Fumble! We have used Cephalexin sooo many times and have had no problems so I can't help you. I hope that he stops being stinky soon though.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 07:32:07 pm »
Thanks Guys! It's so weird! But I guess we'll survive! hehehe! I feel like its started to settle down, maybe its just making his breath nice and stinky!! THanks you so much though! I hope that it clears up soon too!!
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!