Author Topic: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?  (Read 19017 times)

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?
« on: December 06, 2005, 01:06:39 pm »
I've had strangers ask if Daisy is a.....
- lab
- lab/Dane
- lab/Weimaraner
- pitbull

And some people insist that she is the dog from Turner and Hooch.  Close...but not the right type of mastiff.

I explain that she is a Neapolitan Mastiff but that is often met with a blank stare so sometimes I don't bother.

How about you? 
Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?

"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Icerotti

Re: Do strangers label your dog as a breed that he/she isn't?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:11:19 pm »
YES!  I always get choc lab for Farley ::)  Then when you say Vizsla they look like I am making the name up..lol I can relate to the blank stare.

Puck--not really. But I hate the "oh is that a Rockweiler "  ::)  lol
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:19:32 pm by Icerotti »

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 01:16:49 pm »
umm a lot of people think Maggie is a Rottweiler or Pit Bull. Marty my miniature dachshund is usually mistaken at Maggie's puppy. :P
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 01:19:51 pm »
Absolutely.
When I had my red dobie people would ask if he was a chocolate lab and when I told them doberman they would jump back like he was going to eat them.
Merlin has been accused of being a mismarked overgrown dalmation and a holstien cow.
Strider is understandible, being a mixed breed, but he has been diagnosed as a wiemeriener and a greyhound.
It doesn't bother me when someone guesses wrong, but it really makes me mad when I tell them what they are and the people proceed to argue and tell me why I am wrong.
Stella

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:21:25 pm »
Zero is the biggest yellow lab anyone has ever seen and Misha is a very large boned chow LOL
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 01:51:03 pm »
Weirdly, no.  I sometimes don't even think Ranger looks all that Saint Bernard mix-y, but everyone who comments on him always says "Oh, is he part Saint Bernard"?  Go figure...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Kiahpyr

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 01:51:53 pm »
People usually ask or guess right what Kiah is. I do get oh my friend has a black one. I proceed to tell them that pyrs are mainly white and can have tan/gray markings like Kiah. They then argue with me that they come in black. GGGRRR!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 01:53:30 pm »
With Sapphire, they have no clue... so they ask. When I answer they squish their faces and look at me like I just sneezed. lol.

Deena

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 01:57:59 pm »
Tenchi gets called dalmation, weimeraner and greyhound.. but has been mistaken for a goat on numerous occasions.   ::) 

Mojo gets called a "Lassie Dog"  all the time.. or st bernard?  Must be the coloring? ? ?

Faust is a police dog of course. 

And Zeo gets called dalmation or poodle cross???

Kida is pomeranian, papillon or chihuaha.  :P  The pap part i don't mind....  lol
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 02:18:19 pm »
I used to get asked if Darmok was a Rott/Pit cross. She is mistakenly called a "Rottwilder" by some of the local yokels because she is a big, wide butt! But the people around here that KNOW what she is say, "hey, nice Doverman!" ??? ;D
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 02:25:05 pm »
Cowboy is a dalmation???  a Holstein??  a Ford Explorer??? a mix...dalmatio n and ???

Yesterday, I took Chester for a long ramble near the beach and he was called a Lab-Newf mix but he was really too small to have much Newf in him  ::).  Boy, was he shocked when I told the guy he was 8 1/2 months old!!, a different sort of Irish Setter (yep!  Right on that one...very different ::))

I always just laugh because really, you don't see these guys very often and it's fun to hear what people think!  My favorite of all time was when I was walking our very vicious Akita who was  snow white and a woman proceeded to tell me how I should train my samoyed....and wanted to love on him.  Teddy was NOT a guy to let strangers touch him and he wanted to eat her on the spot.  Samoyeds are like that I guess ::)!

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 02:30:27 pm »
Often...
 My girls have been called Red Weims many times (? no such thing), Lab mixes, Rhodesian , and Pits. Even had the AC ask if they were Pits or mixes of I guess anything with a red nose is a Pitbull nowadays.

Then when you tell them what they are they still have no clue so I say they are a hunting breed and leave it at that.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 02:51:41 pm »
The weirdest thing I ever experienced was when I was walking my friend's yellow lab and someone asked me if he was a Rottweiler.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 03:02:17 pm »
The weirdest thing I ever experienced was when I was walking my friend's yellow lab and someone asked me if he was a Rottweiler.

Those Rockwilders are pretty popular guys, huh?
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 03:25:53 pm »
It doesn't happen so much anymore, as people in the area know me and my dogs.  But when we first moved here I had a kid state that Keiko was a coyote.  Whaaaa??!!  I get asked alot if she is part wolf.  I actualy have no idea what her other 1/2 is, but it's probably mostly shepherd, so I tell them probably not any wolf (I have actually met two supposed wolf crosses....... ..one wolf/husky/shep and one shep/wolf that look almost identical to her, but slightly bigger)  Most people can guess the husky right way........... ..they eye gives it away.  One person asked if she was part aussie.

When we got Gunther, and he was smaller, we got the usual pit, greyhound comments.   After he passed 8 months old, no one has been wrong since with guessing what he is.  I swear everyone I meet has either at one point had a great dane or bred great danes.  I never realized how popular they were.