Author Topic: HELP! Cowboy won't eat. Suggestions?  (Read 7349 times)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
HELP! Cowboy won't eat. Suggestions?
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:27:09 am »
Okay, so he won't eat boiled chicken, rice and now he won't eat cottage cheese.  I'm boiling turkey tenderloins for him now (Yeah, I'm desperate!) but he can't have anything with fat in it.  I've got to get to the store to get some plain yogurt for him....but do you guys have any other  ideas for a guys with a really, really upset stomach???

One bit of good news....he hasn't vomited.  Diarrhea continues to flow unabated.  The HOUSE reeks.  He gets showered about every hour!

GRUMBLE, GRUMBLE....and darling husband chooses NOW to get the bathrooms painted....and the house trim...grrr!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: HELP! Cowboy won't eat. Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:00:55 pm »
Glad he's home, sorry he's not eating, is he drinking water? How long since he's eaten?
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 12:05:53 pm »
Dixie Darlin' swears by Slippery Elm for Sugar Bear, I know it helped his upset tummy problems out a lot, It provides mucilage to sooth the digestive tract.

Did they give you some lactated ringers to keep him hydrated??

I would suggest satin balls, but they have a good bit of fat in them, what if you made them with low fat hamburger, like the 97% lean kind?  Our dogs go absolutely nuts for those things.

Poor Dude!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:07:36 pm by brandon »
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Anakalia

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 12:16:40 pm »
Hmmm that's a tough one because normally I'd say try EVERYTHING and ANYTHING!!  But since he has an upset tummy you don't want to do that!  I was thinking pumpkin always helps Koby's tummy and he loves it!  Also if you could find a mint tea make it and see if he'll drink that, cold of course. hehe  Mint helps calm the digestive tract.  Hopefully he'll get his appetite back soon! 

Andi

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 12:23:15 pm »
Have you tried nutrical? It's high in calories and has a strong molasses taste. It's also an appetite stimulant so you only need to give him a little at a time. It might kick start his appetite. You should be able to pick it up at your vet or any good pet store.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 12:23:27 pm »
First, thank goodness Cowboy is home!
Second, I'd say go get some chicken broth and some Pedialite... I've found that a mixture of those two can really stimulate the appetite of a dog who is feeling rough. How long has it been since he has eaten? He might be doing that thing that wild animals do- fasting, I guess- to give his system a chance to settle down. I'm sure his insides are sore from the diarrhea. Poor guy.
Give him my love and you hang in there.  :)

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 12:28:13 pm »
Poor Cowboy

I found this on the internet for dogs. I have not tried it though.
Upset Stomach Remedy (for dogs and cats)
1 cup distilled or spring water
1 teaspoon slippery elm powder
1 tablespoon honey (for dogs)

Place water in a small saucepan and mix in powder, stirring with a whisk to remove all lumps. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. After mixture reaches a boil, turn down to simmer and stir a few more minutes until it thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Allow to cool.

Mix in food at mealtime. Give 1/2 teaspoon three or four times a day to a cat. Give 1 teaspoon to 3 tablespoons (depending on your dog's size) three or four times a day. If dog or cat will not eat, you can give it with a teaspoon, syringe, or baster.
 Peto bismal may work. I would consult your vet first to confirm the dosage and I don't think you  can give it if they have bloddy diareha
(sp?)

What about pasta..would he be able to have that?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 12:29:10 pm by Icerotti »

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 12:37:45 pm »
What doghealer said about the pedialyte!! Great idea, I didnt think of that, I would just work about his electrolytes being depleted which would be bad, from being dehydrated and pedialyte would help restore them. Awesome idea.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 01:25:22 pm »
Great ideas everybody!  I just got off the phone with his doc and since he's having no problem with fluids, we don't have to worry about he pediolyte....b ut I may just get a can to keep on the shelf!

We are now going to try turkey pasta.... 

She's hesitant to do anything other than his meds and bland foods because of the level of ulceration in his whole GI tract...but we're continuing on!

I have a new Christmas song:

"It's beginning to smell a lot like diarrhea,
EVERYWHERE you go....."

Icerotti

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 01:53:49 pm »
Hang in there....it is a hard job. You are doing an amazing job with Cowboy ;) :D

What about feeding certain kinds of baby food? It would be easier for him to digest maybe.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2005, 01:55:22 pm by Icerotti »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 02:27:46 pm »
He ate baby food at the ER....but his doc implied this morning that he's spoiled...(well duh!) and we're going to try boiling lean beef next.  It's the variation he's missing I guess.  He used to having his protein switched every meal.  Yeah....he's spoiled all right  ::) ::) ::) ::)!

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 02:50:27 pm »
He ate baby food at the ER....but his doc implied this morning that he's spoiled...(well duh!) and we're going to try boiling lean beef next.  It's the variation he's missing I guess.  He used to having his protein switched every meal.  Yeah....he's spoiled all right  ::) ::) ::) ::)!

Oh Wow.. Will you adopt me?? :) He eats better than I do

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 02:55:51 pm »
Hey Mari,

I have always heard that when you have troubles getting your dog to eat, try the Satin Balls.

Here is a recipe I just pulled off of Dog Logic website:

SATIN BALLS
This recipe is one for putting weight on an animal quickly, as some use it for putting a couple extra pounds on a show animal prior to the big day, or an animal that may have been ill and needs a weight gain program.  It has also been reported that this recipe will help with some forms of hair loss, such as when your dog(s) blow their coat, to keep the coat healthy and shiny.  This recipe is entended to be fed raw.

10# hamburger meat
1 jar wheat germ
1 lg box of oatmeal (uncooked)
1 1/4 Cup vegetable oil
10 eggs
10 sm pkgs unflavored gelatin
1 1/4 Cup unflavored molasses
A pinch of salt
1 lg box Total cereal (2lb's)
(You may also add a pinch of garlic powder to add flavor)

Mix all ingredients together well, much like a meatloaf....pu t into separate freezer bags and freeze, thawing out as needed.  It puts weight on in a very short time, not to mention the gloss in their coat.  You can use it every day  when they have a show to do and it does not produce diarrhea.  It can be fed  alone or with kibble.

This recipe was originally received from Dianne Carreon

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 03:16:33 pm »
Have you thought about baking or poaching him some fish?  Just a salmon filet or a small piece of halibut? 

When Max won't go for the chicken soup, Mom resorts to 3 minute eggs alternating with baked salmon. 

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 04:05:31 pm »
I'll be over...forget Cowboy ;D!

Just had SUCCESS with turkey and pasta....two small servings!  Thank heavens!!  I'm now going to do some boiled beef...