Author Topic: Poop question....  (Read 5172 times)

cricket36580

Poop question....
« on: December 08, 2005, 11:51:49 pm »
ok, this might seem a little weird.  I changed the babies food to lg breed Diamond because I felt like Bella wasn't getting everything she really needed.  Anyway, I thought they were supposed to decrease the amount and frequency of poops.  Holy cow!  you wouldn't believe what is coming out of these dogs!  Poop habits haven't changed a BIT!  So, my question...Wha t is the metabolism in Danes?  They've been on the new food for 2.5 wks so I was thinking it was plenty of time for the change to occur.  And, btw, what do ya'll do with your poop?  When you scoop, that is.  I really wish I could teach them to poop in the bucket.... ::)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Poop question....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 12:02:49 am »
All Danes react to food differently.  My baby had cow pies every day of his life until I finally found the right food for him.  (And trust me I tried EVERYTHING)  You just have to keep trying foods till you find something that works.

And as for what do I do with it?  I'm spoiled rotten and he goes in the woods and buries it under leaves, never for me to see again :)
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 12:21:05 am »
Short of pooping in the bucket,  ::)(boy I wish they'd do that) I put it in a plastic grocery bag and off to the trash it goes.  I tried a "dog doolie" once and maybe just did it wrong but I ended up with a mountain of poo and, well, we just won't go there.  Suffice it to say we're back to the plastic bag routine! ;D

Can't help with the Dane food question...New fies here!  But these days, I dooooo feel like the queen of pooo! ::)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 12:37:57 am »
I fed my first newf ProPlan and had very little in the way of poo.... considering he was a newf.  Same with our goldie. He is on Proplan and has just a small amt. of waste.  However, Webster is 4 months old, on proplan puppy, and makes enough dog logs in a week to build a log cabin! It is amazing.  I am looking into trying something different.
Karen

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:14:34 am »
Aside from 2 bouts of diaherria, Angus has had a consistent amount of poop since I got him. He goes about 4 times a day!! As for what I do with it (and there is a lot of it) I was just shoveling and bagging for the garbage then junior high school students started climbing a certain section of my backyard fence to play with the dog and to hide while smoking etc... so I started shoveling the poop all in the spot they climbed the fence.  ;D Haven't had anyone jump into the yard in a week!!

Offline The Brindle Pack

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 09:23:52 am »
Tyra has had consistent BM's since we got her; she is on Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken.

With three dogs we scoop poop twice a day and put it in a bucket lined with plastic bags.  Then a couple times a week we tie the bag and put it in the big can.

Cindy

GR8DAME

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 10:59:40 am »

*to be clear...Buddy's poops are not the size of chihuahua poops, they are the size of chihuahuas--but considering that they were once the size of golden retrievers, this is a significant improvement!  ;D

Holly

OMG Holly, can I relate to that!!! I'm sorry Cricket that I cannot add to the suggestions here. I am thrilled when I don't get lava flow, and as for pick up duty....That is why I had children. It goes in a grocery bag in the garbage as presents for the Waste Management crew.
Stella

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2005, 01:30:20 pm »
I use the Diamond Large Breed, Haven't really noticed a reduction in the amount, but I don't see them going quite as often.  Overall, I'm pleased with the food.

As for disposal, I'm pretty lazy, If I catch it fresh, I hose it into the ground to fertilize the grass (what little they haven't torn up in the backyard).  If it's aged some, I usually turn it into the soil arounsd the bushes, again for 'cheap' fertilizer.
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

cricket36580

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2005, 02:08:46 pm »
I appreciate all the help.  It just makes me wonder because Fos's poop has always been squishy and never firm.  I thought pin worms and wormed everyone but it didn't help.  I've been giving some thought to going raw but I'm not sure if I want that expense.  I'm going to do some more research though. 

I'm simply amazed at the sheer amount of poop that comes out of them.  I've never had "retriever" sized poops cause I've always had them on really good food.  they're more "chihuahua" sized...howeve r, it's 4 or 5 times a day!  After a while 2 acres becomes absolutely covered!  I feel like I'm s*%$ farming...lol 

I've been throwing the poop into the woods because I was told not to put it on the plants...It doesn't compost since it has meat in it and will turn rancid.  Interesting.  I'm gonna think about this one.  I've got about an acre devoted to ornamentals and if that's a possibility then we would save a bunch on fertilizer.

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 03:55:40 pm »
i feed athena chicken soup and at 5 mnths old the most we get is 4or 5 a day and usually 3 is more common.  all solid and not chuachua sized yet(boy is that what i have to look forward to) but it does definatly look like a 10 years old did it and not a 5 mth old puppy, as for scooping there is a clean up crew that comes around my neighbor hood and for $10/wk they will scoop and dispose of poop they will come around 2-3 times a wk

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 03:59:46 pm »
I've got about an acre devoted to ornamentals and if that's a possibility then we would save a bunch on fertilizer.

Be careful with that.  Because there is meat (protein) in that poop, it will go bad, attract nasties (like maggots) and won't break down like cow, horse or chicken poop.  Supposedly, with a "Doggie Dooley" the enzymes break it down and it can go in the ground then....but I've never been successful with that.... :-\