Author Topic: Wolves In Alaska Being "Hunted" From Airplanes  (Read 4680 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Wolves In Alaska Being "Hunted" From Airplanes
« on: December 11, 2005, 03:35:11 pm »
I got this email the other day and I thought it would be worth sharing.  I plan to adopt one as soon as I can.  This is why I am not a hunter, these kinds of things slip through the cracks.  Poor Wolves!  We need to help them.

I have sad news: the wolf killing has begun again in Alaska. I just received word that the first six wolves of the season have been killed in Alaska from the brutal practice of aerial gunning. Since Governor Murkowski and the Board of Game reinstated this awful practice, over 400 wolves have been killed. Easy targets against fallen snow, our majestic wolves and their young can now be gunned down from airplanes or chased to exhaustion and then shot from the ground.

This loss is so hard to bear, but please keep reading, because this year, there is hope for wolves.

In the past three weeks, I've written to update you on Care2's partnership with Defenders of Wildlife (named by Reader's Digest "America's Best Wildlife Charity") and our plans for the coming season's campaign to save Alaska's wolves and stop this brutal slaughter. Your response has been overwhelming. Many of you have adopted wolves for loved ones, and we've raised an incredible $75,000 to protect wolves! This funding is so critical to Defenders' ongoing efforts to end this aerial hunt once and for all.

Have you adopted a wolf this holiday season? Do you have family and friends on your holiday list who love wildlife as much as you do? The holidays are fast approaching, so now is the perfect time to make a truly meaningful gift by adopting a wolf for someone special in your life.

By making a tax deductible wolf gift adoption, you will help support Defenders of Wildlife's critical media, legal and grassroots efforts to end the aerial slaughter in Alaska and support all of Defenders' efforts to protect wolves across the country.

And when you adopt a wolf, Defenders will send your gift recipient a plush wolf toy and a personalized adoption certificate suitable for framing, shipped free in time for the holidays.

This year's aerial gunning of wolves could be the greatest wolf massacre since the 1950's. Defenders of Wildlife and their local conservation partners are using every means possible to stop the blood shed.

Let's help Defenders by adopting a wolf today.

r004=hqw5ut8l42.app13a" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">http://wildlifeadoption.defenders.org/site/PageServer?pagename=adopt_wolf&s_src=WD06ADOPT&s_subsrc=06ADOPTF22&JServSessionId r004=hqw5ut8l42.app13a

I can't thank you enough for all that you've done to help protect wolves.

Rebecca Young,
Care2 and ThePetitionSit e team

P.S. Adopt a wolf by December 15th and receive 10 percent off your total adoption order - just enter discount code ACL10 when you check out. Make your tax deductible gift adoption today!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 03:40:41 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Wolves In Alaska Being "Hunted" From Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 05:42:33 pm »
It is extremely upsetting, I am dead against hunting.

I am cert. wildlife rehabber. mind you no wolves yet lol. They need attention though, a lot of really horrible things go on, with both the little critters and the grand wolves and more.

I will adopt a wolf for my dad for christmas, he is a devoted wildlife person and would much rather get that than anything he'd end up putting on a shelf or cabinet.

Thanks for brining this to our attention

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Wolves In Alaska Being "Hunted" From Airplanes
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 05:43:27 pm »
It is extremely upsetting, I am dead against hunting.

I am cert. wildlife rehabber. mind you no wolves yet lol. They need attention though, a lot of really horrible things go on, with both the little critters and the grand wolves and more.

I will adopt a wolf for my dad for christmas, he is a devoted wildlife person and would much rather get that than anything he'd end up putting on a shelf or cabinet.

Thanks for brining this to our attention

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog