Author Topic: Adopting an EM  (Read 5521 times)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Adopting an EM
« on: December 11, 2005, 06:24:57 pm »
I have a few questions. I am adopting (I think) a 13 month old female EM. I have a almost 2y/o g.pyrenees.  I really want my dog to have another dog around. I met this dog. She is not spayed. She will be soon after I get her. My dog is neutered. She is very skinny. They said she had an ear infection and did not eat for a few days. She probably weighs 100 lbs.  I brought her to my house to meet my dog. She was very scared. They played for a few minutes but she was scared. At her house she was very comfortable. They said she has been around other dogs before. She is about 1 inch taller than my pyr but he is 130 pounds.  There was absolutly no signs of agression out of either one of them. My questions are:
Is it normal for them to be so thin at that age. I know she will grow more.

Will she get more comfortable in my house and around my dog?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Adopting an EM
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 07:11:15 pm »
She will most likely get comfortable around your house and your dog, especially since your dog is a neutered male and she will be a spayed female. Of course she's going to be a timid in an unfamiliar environment with an unfamiliar dog and unfamiliar people.

I assume she is a rescue dog so she's probably been through a lot already and been shuffled around a little bit, plus enduring an ear infection, etc.

You might want to schedule a few more playdates with your dog before you make a concrete decision, just to get them more comfortable with each other and familiar with each other. Make sure you find out how she is eating around other dogs. Give them both a treat or some food while you are holding one leash and someone is holding the other. Watch closely for curled lips, droopy tails, growling, etc.

Has she been temperment tested? If not, ask the rescue organization to do that for you or have a vet or professional trainer do that before you adopt her.  Don't be afraid to have your vet do an evaluation of her before you adopt her, too - especially since she seems to be underweight. This could be because she is still growing, has worms, has not been fed the proper diet for a large breed dog, or is under stress.

Good Luck! Please keep us posted.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 08:04:49 pm »
She is a privatly owned dog. They have had her since she was a small puppy. She is in a crate all day until 6:00 in the evening and they just don't think that is fair for her.  I went to her house with my kids and she was really good. They have a 5 year old girl.  The dog seems to not have a mean bone in her body. I am going to have her come over a few more times to get used to it here before the actual adoption.  She almost looks like a gr. dane because she is so tall and skinny. They also feed her purina dog chow. I would be putting her on Nutro.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 08:32:07 pm »
My friend used to breed Mastiffs and they are a rather cautious breed, though usually very sweet and rarely aggressive. I'm pretty sure that once she's had a week or two to get to know everybody and her new surroundings, she'll settle in very well. Many of them are real homebodies. Definitely a good idea to have a few more playdates and time with your kids at your house, just to see if any problems arise.

As for skinny - they can be when young and bear in mind she may not have had adequate exercise with being crated for so many hours and this can add to the skinny look.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 11:08:55 pm »
To be 13 months and 100 lbs is underweight, even for a growing female. My 10 months old boy is about 145 lbs. BUT it sounds like the people who owns her now, might not know a whole lot about dogs or mastiffs.

Since she is from a family, I would ask to get a vet health check. just to rule out the nasties. Most likely it is down to the feeding, and maybe worms.

I have to disagree with Senghe though, about OEM's being cautious. They should be outgoing and curious. I think the biggest hurdle when it comes to the disposition is that many people think they are so big, that they tend not to bring them places, not let them get used to things and other people and situations. She is still young though, so with patience and love I would think she can come around. Take her to the park, dont make attempts to have her talk to people or other dogs to start with, just let her look at them from distance, when she gets a bit braver, make it closer interactions, and maybe bring her to petsmart or any other store where they allow you to. Start with days and times of days when it is not too busy. Mastiffs are usually very kind hearted and loving, pretty much big lap dogs and bed hoggers lol.

Ask if they have the papers, that way you can (or if you need help I can help you) research the lines and see what is behind her, both physically and disposition wise.

The ear infection, is probably a yeast infection, they are not too uncommon on giant breeds well not on any breed really. There are great supplements to give to prohibit yeast and fungus infections both externally and internally. So I wouldnt worry too much about that either, a dose of antibiotic to start with, and then maintain with supplement and good cleaning.

About feeding, I have always had giant dogs, and more than one. I dont free feed, and as a precaution I never feed two dogs together if I am not with them, right there. Even the most darling dog, can act up when it comes to food, and it is an unnecessary risk to take.

Feel free to pm me if you want help with the line research  :D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 07:49:34 am »
She comes right up to people wagging her tail and wants lovin'. She seems to be very leary of dogs.  When I went to pick her up for a visit at my house, she was off leash and a tiny poodle chased her all around trying to attack her (both off leash!). She was runing with her tail between her legs and finally made her way back to her owner and sat next to her as to say "help me". My Great pyr gets yeast infections in his ear. What supplement are you talking about?

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 10:56:51 am »
I have to disagree with Senghe though, about OEM's being cautious. They should be outgoing and curious.

Maybe I used the wrong word? What I meant to say is they tend to  assess a situation before they act rather than go rushing in first and think later. I didn't mean to imply that they are nervous in any way, just clever enough to think. 

Has anybody tried Zymox for their big paws ears? It works like magic on shar-pei ears and saved me a fortune over the years despite me having to import it from the USA as they don't sell it in the UK. It also saved my friend's pei from having a resection when she tried it as a last resort. I only wish I'd known about it when I had my first dog who had a chronic and persistent infection in her left ear that never cleared up despite me paying what seemed like my vet's mortgage for the best part of a a decade due to it!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:16:57 pm »
I agree with you there Shenghe, they are not like a shepherd or lots of other breeds, they dont "bully" their way to someone or something, I also have a theory, that it is because they are simply too lazy to move faster lol  ;D

And no I have never used Zymox. I use something called Oxydrops, you dillute it and clean with it, and also as dilluted give it on the food.

The supplement I was talking about is those oxydrops and also nzymes. The nzymes clence the whole system from yeast infections, often we never know that they have internal yeast infections, and it is now believed that internal yeast infections and bloat have connection.

I think she sounds like a dog who has not been given a chance to be a "typical mastiff" the fact that she loves and is not afraid of people is a major plus. And since she most likey isnt an alpha type, being chased by a  poodle probably isnt her idea of a great time  :D Here Id like to add, that despite the fact that she obviously hated to be chased, she did nothing to threaten or get aggressive, that to me says she is a sound dog in many ways.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog