Author Topic: Is it normal for no pain medication after Neutering?  (Read 5597 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Is it normal for no pain medication after Neutering?
« on: December 13, 2005, 01:07:08 pm »
Dyson got Fixed yesterday.  What suprised me is the Vet's office did not give any pain medication for him.  Is that normal?  They told us we could buy Aspirin and give him 1 tablet twice a day.  I was curious, for I know I would want something for the pain. 

Thanks, Randy    :(
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Offline coral

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Is it normal for no pain medication after Neutering?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 01:15:06 pm »
Oliver was also neutered yesterday and sent home with no pain meds. We were also told to use asprin if we felt he needed something. All of my dogs in the past were sent home with meds, so this  is new to me too.

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 01:18:37 pm »
I don't know about in the USA, but when I've had my females spayed, they had no pain medication. To be honest, the bog standard painkiller given out by vets is rimadyl and there have been reports of adverse reactions to it. My females never even missed a meal and showed no signs of pain and were running about like nothing had happened. If Dyson is acting normally or is just a little quiet, I'd personally not medicate him.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 01:20:29 pm »
was curious, for I know I would want something for the pain. 

See the difference is if you get pain meds and they tell you to take them too feel better but take it easy, you will.  If a dog gets pain meds they think they're fine and they want to run and play and roughhouse, and they can't rest and recouperate the way that they should.  When dogs feel pain they know they need to rest to get better. 
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Anakalia

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 01:36:10 pm »
I never had to give Koby pain meds after his neuter.  The vets kept him over night and I went to pick him up the next day and the neuter NEVER phased him!! :o  He was normal Koby, he came home and was instantly back on his schedule, eating and going out to do his business.  That second day he did sleep more than play, but that's a good thing.  He never was mopey though he was normal happy Koby.

Andi

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 06:22:39 pm »
was curious, for I know I would want something for the pain. 

See the difference is if you get pain meds and they tell you to take them too feel better but take it easy, you will.  If a dog gets pain meds they think they're fine and they want to run and play and roughhouse, and they can't rest and recouperate the way that they should.  When dogs feel pain they know they need to rest to get better. 

Senghe is right, it's better for them not to have pain meds, the pain will keep them from overexerting.  I have seen dogs (esp. spayed females) that were given pain meds return to the vet with split stiches, etc. because they got too active. Now if the pain meds are enough to also be sedating, that's a different story, but sedation also slows down the healing process.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 08:33:10 pm »
We had Zoey spayed&tacked at a vet hospital. They kept her overnight and we were able to pick her up the next evening. For the 24 hours she was in the hospital post-surgery she had IV pain meds (we visited her that night while she was still really sedated and it was the sadest thing ever because they told us she wasnt walking at all, and as soon as she saw us she practically ran down the hall because she was so excited, but then once she realized we werent taking her home she was so sad she wouldnt even lift her head up let alone walk around). Anyways, she got the pain management for that first really tough day when her movement was being restricted, but once she came home she had no pain meds.
RIP former BPO

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 09:34:51 pm »
We take all of our rescues in to be fixed, and all our vet ever gives us is Rymadil. Pups, male and female hardly ever show any signs of something having happened, after the first night. Older dogs might show more reaction.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 02:12:51 am »
I actually had to request no pain meds when Gunther got neutered.  Around here, they try to shove pain meds down your throat three different ways.  My regular vet actually refused to take them off the checklist (along with other things i thought unnecessary, plus added about $200) so I had to go to another vet.

Most vets here give pain meds not only during surgery/before, but some give them afterwards, and then give you take home meds as well.  Can you say over medicated and overcharged?