Author Topic: This photo will move you  (Read 16608 times)

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
This photo will move you
« on: May 10, 2005, 07:19:32 pm »
I have to share this photo and hope it loads ok.  There is a story with it.  A fireman was in a burning building and spotted a Great Dane who was pregnant.  He was a little afraid of her, but picked her up and took her to a grassy area outside.  He then returned to fighting the fire.  Later he came out exhausted and kneeled on the grass.  There was a reporter across the street and he watched as the big dog kept staring at the fireman.  Then suddenly she ran to him and gave him a big kiss as if to say "thank you for saving me and my babies".  Just then the reporter got this shot and it says a thousand words.  It made me cry. :o
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: This photo will move you
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 07:24:57 pm »
Here's my photo so you know who I am. ;D

Peggy
Peggy

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:32:58 pm »
 :-[    ooops, I meant a Doberman, not a Dane. sorry dobie lovers.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Saljen

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Rosie with icy whiskers
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:44:02 am »
Oh my goodness, that is absolutely beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing.  :)
I read something that said dogs are perfect emotional creatures, and also they believed them to be the highest emotionally evolved of all beings. They are loyal 100% of the time, trust with complete faith and sometimes without proof that they should, often give more than they get back, and always show how they feel. Dogs often take care of others for no reason at all (in other words, even when there is no obvious benefit to themselves) - even taking care of other species. Did anyone see the recent newstory about the dog in Nairobi who was found taking care of an infant who had been abandoned? The baby girl was in a sack, and the dog was carrying the sack around in her mouth and nestling her in with her own pups. I wish humans did as good of a job caring about people/beings who are different from them. And if you have dogs and keep yourself open to learning from them, you will learn what unconditional love truly is. Can you imagine how much better the world would be if humans were emotionally more like dogs? Far, far better I believe.

Offline Malishiku

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Airreyalis - Malinois & Shikoku
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 02:36:32 am »
That IS an awesome photo! Thanks for sharing!

*ponders* I wonder what it would be like to be raised a dog. I don't know how long that infant would have survived...but if it were like 2 or 3 years of age.

Yeah...dogs can teach us a lot about "humanity" better then any human could.
=(^ - ^)= / ) Corina A. Gonzalez
www.airreyalis .com
Belgian Malinois & Shikoku Ken

Jen

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 07:49:26 am »
The story along with the photo made me cry too! HAPPY CRY!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 09:01:15 am »
I don't know about loyal 100% of the time, Saljen! My dogs will run up to the next Tom, Dick or Jane with anything tasty in their hands or the prospect of a good belly rub. I can yell and yell, but they just look back at me like, "In a minute, woman!"
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Jen

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 09:59:44 am »
LOL!  I am so sure Thunder says "IN A MINUTE WOMAN!  or "STOP YELLIN' WOMAN, I HEARD YOU THE FIRST 3 TIMES BUT I AM NOT, REPEAT NOT, READY TO COME IN YET!!"

But that picture of the fireman getting kissed by the pregnant fire victim!!!  really got to my heart.  BUT the darker side of me pictured the dog catcher coming after the fire was put out and bringing her to the local kill shelter. DOES anyone where that Pregy and her pups are now ???  HUH, ANYBODY ??? I honestly want to know what happened next! ???

Offline wally big dog

• Gnawer
  • this youngster is now a big strappin' 1 year old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 10:28:39 am »
and who said dogs don't think. i firmly beleive that dogs have a certain degree of sentience.
as pndlke stated above,
  "There was a reporter across the street and he watched as the big dog kept staring at the fireman.  Then suddenly she ran to him and gave him a big kiss as if to say "thank you for saving me and my babies".

'Nuff said, i rest my case.
                   wally big dog -owned by iw
                          "toto's mama"
and in memory of the sweetest , most innocent hound i ever met'
  "Miss Floydette O'Brien"  Dec. 2,1998-May 21,2004
wally with a great big ol' hound!

"ginger rogers did everything fred astaire did, only she did it in high heels, while dancing backwards"

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2005, 01:43:38 pm »
Hi Jen, I got the photo from a friend on the internet that sends me really COOL things.  All I know is that the reporter was from a paper in Charlotte N.C. called The Observer.  I am sure with that information you can find out more.  I would be crushed if it was something like "urban myths" but I really don't think so.

It reminds me about the first time I realized how much emotions especially big dogs have.  One night while driving home with my husband our headlights came across a large dog sitting beside another one that had been hit and killed by a car.  The dog would not leave the other one's side and on closer inspection had actual tears streaming from its face.  It will stick in my mind forever. Many people truly underrate the unbelievable character these animals have. 

Peggy
Peggy

Jen

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 11:36:29 am »
OMG!  THe story of the dog crying on the side of the road is killing me!  I could totally picture that!  I have seen Thunder!!  Thunder is so sensetive to my emotions it touches my heart deeply. I feel the same about him too.  When I went back to work part time with out him I got a SICK feeling in my stomach.  He used to come to work with me everyday.  My Aunt and Uncle live in Charlotte NC I am going tot call them do you have the date of the fire or the news report?

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2005, 06:58:04 pm »
Hi Jen, I am so glad you have people in Charlotte that can help you.  I am sorry but I do not know the date of the fire.  I am assuming it is pretty recent. I think it was a house fire so the dog probably lived there and stayed with his family.   If I find out more, I will let you know right away.  Thanks and I can't wait for you to post to this board what you find out.   8)

Peggy
Peggy

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 09:16:27 pm »
I live in Charlotte, NC and can try to get info for you, I am going out of town for the weekend but will be back on Sunday, will let you know what I find out!

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2005, 09:20:27 pm »
WOW this website is great.  We can learn a lot.  What good friends you are to help for all of us.   ;D

Peggy
Peggy