Author Topic: Mass nixes fees for K9 vets’ vets  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Mass nixes fees for K9 vets’ vets
« on: December 19, 2005, 11:40:51 pm »
I saw this in the Boston Herald the other day.  Didn't' get to finish reading it though so I looked it up today.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=116953
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Mass nixes fees for K9 vets’ vets
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:47:13 pm »
Oh, that is horrible!  They wouldn't treat their retired officers this way.  Perhaps if they don't want to pay for medical services, they dogs should start racking up a pention so they can get some kind of retirement benefits.

That is just wrong to take away benefits for service dogs.  They do their job with all their heart, and when they are retired, they should be taken care of accordingly.  Perhaps the cataract surgery was a bit much for that one dog, but maybe they should need to have a signature or permission to have surgery over a certain amount.

I hope this gets resolved soon, and that it benefits the service dogs' futures.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 01:01:42 am »
I'm sorry, but if Calif. can do open heart surgery on a death row resident, why can't MA take care of their retired service dogs???

Offline my3dogs

• Leader of the Pack
  • Daisy - FEB 2006
    • View Profile
    • Blossoming Daisy
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 02:36:46 am »
Pitiful.
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes." - Mel Brooks
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/164179

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 11:36:12 am »
From the article it sounds like they are already seeing their misjudgement of this policy, but I'm still all for a letter-writing campaign to support a change. If the police department decides to use dogs for police work, they need to be prepared when the purchase a dog to take care of that dog for its lifetime. Not all retired dogs are going to require expensive medical treatment, as not all retired human police officers are going to require expensive medical treatmetn, but they wouldn't deny the police officers this same courtesy.

These dogs often put themselves in harm's way to save the life of an officer, find criminals where humans can't and detect illegal substances where humans can't. Many times they are not even given bullet proof vests because they are so expensive.

In fact, I propose our next fundraising opportunity be directed towards a non-profit organization that provides police dogs with bullet-proof vests. I remember reading about a little boy (or girl?) that started an organization to do this. I'll find the name and post it.

I know none of the police dogs in our town have vests. I asked one K-9 officer how much they cost. He said about $500 each.

Jeanne

EDIT: the website is http://www.penniestoprotectpolicedogs.org/en-us/index.php
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 11:40:09 am by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 11:51:29 am »
Even better!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain