Author Topic: Puppy dane is quickly out growing crate.....  (Read 3044 times)

Offline AmysMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Puppy dane is quickly out growing crate.....
« on: December 21, 2005, 02:33:44 am »
Our "little" Amy is just 4 1/2 months old and is cramped in her size large crate!!!  We need to replace it SOON.  I am not surprised this happened, I just thought it might be after the first of the year or later.
  The question is - what do I replace it with?? 
 I know whatever kind it is will be XL or XXL, but I just know some of you here will have some good advice on brands, etc.
Thanks!!
amysmom

GR8DAME

Re: Puppy dane is quickly out growing crate.....
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 10:21:22 am »
Don't make the same mistake we did. When you are looking at crates, be sure to check the locking mechanisim. We didn't, and the door on ours lifts and then sits on three open hooks. It takes has taken every dog about an hour their first time in the crate to figure out how to lift the door and push out to be free. We have to use carabeeners(sp) to keep the door closed. Just a thought.
Stella

Offline AmysMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005, 12:02:44 pm »
Great Ideas!  Thanks!!
 I do think it is funny that they learn how to get free.....it would be just like our Amy to figgure something like that out!!

Offline Terri

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005, 12:07:08 pm »
I have 2 danes and 2 collossial cages, it is their safe zone. They love their beds because if you buy a full size mattress for a hide a bed and cut it in half, well it fits perfect in the cage!! I just got a new mattress for my puppers for xmas. My Vet, who does house calls laughs at me and said my dogs have their own condos. It is for when they are not on the couch or my bed.

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005, 12:22:19 pm »
I bought the model 99N-giant breed crate from Midwest.  It's their largest crate that I know of and I had to special order it from our local pet shop.  It is a 'drop pin' crate, not one that will collapse down if you need it to.  I got extra snaps for my door though since my dane liked to paw at it and I didn't want her paws caught in the door by accident.   

I like it and find it real sturdy.  She also likes it and has plenty of room to move around and stretch out-she weighs 143 pounds and stands quite tall.  The measurements are 45" H, 54" L, 35" W.  I got mine for about $170.00 and her 'great dane' crate pad fits in real nice.
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....