Author Topic: Got a problem  (Read 2538 times)

Offline WildRosePuppy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Got a problem
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:01:02 am »
My baby Elisa has a serious aggression issue when on her lead/leash but when she's not on the lead/leash she's fine. What can I do to break her of this habit? I live in a townhome community and the association has a fit if a dog is off a lead for even 5 seconds, but my baby likes to play with the next door neighbor's lab, but if Elisa is on her lead, she ends up attacking the lab instead of playing.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Got a problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 10:11:10 am »
 :-[ That has to be hard to deal with, one thought that comes to mind, is that she may feel trapped, you know she is playing or rather the other dog is playing with her, she is stuck in a leash and cant really get away or play the way she wants to, so she feels like she has to defend herself, not let the other dog get too close to her, like a defense mechanism. I would try to take her to an obedience class, where other dogs are, and a trainer who can guide you through the problem and hopefully come to a point where she doesnt have to feel that she needs to attack when on a leash.

Good luck, and please keep us posted

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline mamadog

• Big Paw Certified
  • This is me and my Finn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 10:45:44 am »
That was exactly what I was thinking.  I have read that sometimes when a dog is on leash they feel trapped, vulnerable. It can make them feel agressive. But sometimes it is the walker (as it was in my case) that causes the agression. If your dog was agressive in the beginning on a leash, and now when you walk him you're "prepared" for him to be agressive so you tense up and try to hold him close to you that can add to it as well. If you are tense and trying to keep him closer to you he may think that there must be danger. I did that to my dogs because they don't care for other dogs, so when we would walk by one I would shorten their leash... turns out I was making it way worse. So I was told to just keep walking by without changing speed or leash length and they would eventually get the picture....and they have. (sorta) They still don't like other dogs, but they are far less agressive when I act like nothing is wrong. (fortunatly thses two are only 30 lbs)

Vicki

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 03:44:27 pm »
My Dobe has leash aggression as well.  He was attacked by a much larger dog when he was younger which has led to this problem.  Here is a very helpful article.
http://www.flyingdogpress.com/onldagg.html

I hope it helps.  It is a very good idea to attend obedience class.