Author Topic: Bones Would Rain from the Sky!  (Read 28216 times)

cricket36580

Re: Bones Would Rain form the Sky!
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 05:03:00 pm »
Wanted to jump in and say I would love a BPO book club and count me in.  Also, can I recommend a book?  Marley and me by Grogen.  Bring your tissues though. 

Dixie, can I borrow your copy when you get finished with it?  It probably won't take me 2 days to read it and then I can join in the chat...Pretty please?

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 06:06:32 pm »
You got it I am reading it now so I should have it for you by next week.

Lisa
Wanted to jump in and say I would love a BPO book club and count me in.  Also, can I recommend a book?  Marley and me by Grogen.  Bring your tissues though. 

Dixie, can I borrow your copy when you get finished with it?  It probably won't take me 2 days to read it and then I can join in the chat...Pretty please?
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2006, 12:35:55 pm »
I just started Bones.... last night in bed (for all of the 10 minutes I could keep my eyes open)... and LOVED the opening passage in the book -  I couldn't help but chuckle.... I am only a dozen pages in - but can tell I am going to really like this book.... and I am sooooo looking forward to reading more and participating in the BPO book club postings!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 04:14:22 pm by EllieAndBlu »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2006, 03:26:32 pm »
I can't believe I totally missed this new forum! I'm in, too, but may wait for the next book to join the discussions. I'm in the middle of the Chronicles of Narnia right now, the the Dogs of Babel unfinished on my nightstand and a borrowed book waiting in the wings.

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2006, 03:39:44 pm »
Jeanne,

I know I have a stack of about 10 dog books to read. Please join us when you can, I think it is going to be fun.

Lisa

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 04:22:32 pm »
Bones is great, nothing to make you cry.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 04:26:25 pm »
Bones is great, nothing to make you cry.
Yay, I need to read a happy dog book!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 10:11:32 pm »
I'd like to join in, too. Just got the book, as a matter of fact I bought the culture clash at the same time. For the moment I am still in the middle of the other end of the leash which I can definitely recommend. I guess I got to go and read to catch up.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006, 12:03:43 am »
Perfect timing....I JUST got off the phone with Cowboy's neurologist (AND HE'S GETTING OFF PHENO!!! NO SEIZURES FOR SIX MONTHS!!! YIPPEE!!!  VISUALIZE MIDDLE AGED WOMAN DOING THE HAPPY DANCE!! ;D ;D ;D)
and he was telling me about a Dean Koontz book that was dedicated to him (Dr. Barry) 'supposedly' written by his dog, Trixie.  It's called "Life is Good".  I just ordered it on Amazon.com (it's only $12) and all proceeds go to Companion Dogs.  He said it's a sweet read.  I can read it and preview it to see if it's worth your time..... ::)

I am just SO excited that Cowboy is FINALLY off pheno!!!  (sorry for bubbling, guys!!)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006, 01:23:13 am »
We ordered it, but haven't received it yet.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2006, 04:45:06 am »
ALL CRATURES GREAT AND SMALL!!!GO TO A PLACE CALLED POWELLS .COM,THEY HAVE EVERY TITLE!!!eveeer printed!!!AND CHEAP TOO,ABOUT 3 DOLLARS A COPY!!!,THE DOG WHO WOULDN'T BE!!! BY FARLEY MOWAT,NEVER CRY WOLF!!!MANEATERS OF KUMOUEA BY JAMES CORBETT!!!
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2006, 01:50:52 pm »
I've just finished the part where she's training Angel not to pull on the lead which was perfect timing!  Chester has been doing that and it's literally a pain in shoulder, elbow, neck!!!  So I took her advice and just got back from working with him using her techniques.... giving him a treat when he listened to me, changed directions when he started to pull....and it WORKED!!  I'll do it again this afternoon and just keep practicing on it.  She's a genius!!!

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2006, 01:56:20 pm »
Cool, I love this book this will be a read and reread book for me.

Lisa

I've just finished the part where she's training Angel not to pull on the lead which was perfect timing!  Chester has been doing that and it's literally a pain in shoulder, elbow, neck!!!  So I took her advice and just got back from working with him using her techniques.... giving him a treat when he listened to me, changed directions when he started to pull....and it WORKED!!  I'll do it again this afternoon and just keep practicing on it.  She's a genius!!!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 12:00:29 pm »
What are you all thinking about the book?  I'm almost finished with it and I think it's thought provoking on many levels.  It is NOT a how-to-train book...I keep thinking she's going to give detailed instructions on how to resolve a dog's/owner's issues but there's just a sort of gentle summing up and then moving on.   I do love her philosophy of relating to dogs;   it makes a lot of sense.  It's interesting, her take on the alpha dog theory and the aggressive vs. submissive dog issue.  Again....makes sense.  She has a wonderful gift of observation to see all the things a dog is doing at any point in time.  I'm going to try to do better, but will probably have to re-read the book at some point to drive it in to this thick skull of mine!!!

I'd love to hear what you all think...... :)

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 04:17:41 pm »
 I agree it is very thought provoking.  It has opened my eyes to the fact that I spend a lot of time talking to Sugar Bear and Dixie but as much time as I should trying to learn from what they are telling me. One place it hit home with me is that before we added a smaller fenced area off of their room where they could use the dog door at night I would make them come in for bed around 8pm - 9 pm and close off the dog door. I would have to use treats so they would come in, or grab a leash.  Dixie was fine with going in as long as Sugar Bear would come.   There were a few time that Sugar Bear would get grumpy with me when I would wake him up to go in, when he would be sleeping on the front porch.  I would have to pick up all 100 lbs. of him and make him go in with me. I now understand that he was telling me that with his upset tummy at times that he needed to be able to go out when he needed to potty in the middle of the night. If I would have let him stay out he could go potty when he needed and not wake me up.  Now that he can go out when he needs to he is in his bed sleeping about 8pm.  I have a baby monitor in his room so sometime I can hear him got at a 2/3am, he goes out and them back in as soon as he is done.  I really feel bad that I was reading it that he was just mad at me for waking him up and making him do something.  I now understand he was trying to tell me in the only way he could that he needed to be able to go outside at night.

This book is showing me how to build a very close relationship with my babies.  It will be a book that I read and reread.

Lisa