Author Topic: Grooming  (Read 15153 times)

Offline meg

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Grooming
« on: May 25, 2005, 01:27:46 pm »
Just wondering what everyone's favorite grooming brush(es)  ???

Thanks  :)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2005, 01:29:44 pm by meg »

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Grooming
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2005, 02:20:46 pm »
Apollo has a two sided brush. It has stiff wire bristles on one side, that help remove the dense undercoat he has, and then a slicker brush (soft densly packed bristles) on the other to help bring out the shine in his top coat.

I'm not sure what brand it is, my parents had a similar brush, so when I got Apollo, they gave him one as a "Welcome to the Family" present.

Hands down, his favorite moment of the day is when Mommy get her "TV Time" and we sit on the couch together so I can brush him. He'll carry the brush around for hours before and after trying to con me into doing it more.  :D
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 04:28:58 pm »
We use the slicker and the rake...and as you saw in the previous post with Bear's body double it does the job! Plus, they have lasted for such a long time. We bought them when we got Bear 2.5 years ago and just recently replaced the slicker when Bear decided it looked appetizing.  :D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 04:33:49 pm »
We use the rake. Its AWESOME. It gets out all of the dead under-coat and does a great job getting out mats. And, Cabeza enjoys it!

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2005, 12:27:52 pm »
I use a whole lot of different things, since I have both mastiffs with short hair, and a golden mix and a husky with long hair, and undercoat. For the mastiffs I use different rubber "brushes" they both get rid of loose hair and massage the skin to get the blood circulation going good, that helps with a good skin and a shiny coat, I also use a soft bristle brush on them. The longhair dogs I use slickers and rakes, and also something called "underwool knife" And when we have a "spa day" after I have bathed, brushed and done the nailes, ears and whatnot, I use a coat condition/coatshine spray, that gives the coats a real nice shine, and it makes the dirt "slide" off real easy for a while after, even if they have a good ol' time in the muddy places in the yard, it slides off when dry and it helps Zeus coat not stain (he is white)

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2005, 02:10:18 pm »
Hmm.....I'm going to have to get some of that stuff. Dirt sliding off sounds like a good idea!

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2005, 03:07:10 pm »
Im a rake user too, nothing else ever gets thru that hair. Very glad I didn't give baths last weekend like I wanted to, it rained all week. Poor guys cooped up in the house again today. Guess this weekend is bath time. It's been cool 50's-60's so they really just started a full blow shed. Oh boy my back hurts already.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 06:45:54 am »
The rake hands down!...I also like my short wire brush for getting dirt off of Sammy Whammy's legs.

Offline galaxybears

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • chins n newfs
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 03:28:02 pm »
I use various different brushes and combs on my Newfs. But I have to say I couldn't live without my rake or Mars Coat King :)
Shelley
Mum to Molly, Honey and Kitten
RIP my darling Bronte

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 08:12:31 pm »
With a Goldie and a newf, I have lots of hair to brush.  I couldn't do it without the rake and a slicker.  Then a spritz of laser sheen for a glossy shine.
Karen

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 01:09:27 am »
The rake is a Godsend!!!!!!!!!!...I don't know what I would do without one!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 10:30:59 am »
Dematting comb. Kiah's hair around her ear mat up so bad. If I didn't have one she wouldn't have any hair on her ear. The slicker brush it great too!

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:39:41 pm »
With our two fuzzy beasts we could not live without a rake or the mat rakes.  Lacey also gets her butt clipped on occasion because her back feathers get so long and they mat like crazy so add clippers to the list too.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 05:48:51 pm »
We had tried a bunch of different brushes and our very favorite is the Zoom Groom, which is a rubber one made by kong. I like it because it does a good job collecting hair. Zoey LOVES it because unlike metal brushes, it feels like a nice massage :)
RIP former BPO