Author Topic: Do puppies stay up all night when cutting teeth????  (Read 4599 times)

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Do puppies stay up all night when cutting teeth????
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:47:44 am »
 :-\ Kayzer was up most of the night and he was very restless while he was awake, after rubbing his gums he seemed to calm down and go to sleep. Of course I didnt get much sleep >:( so I was just wondering if anyone else has had this experience? With other puppies I have had, the only signs of teething was chewing on everything in sight but Kayzer seems to be having a harder time with it! POOR LITTLE GUY I feel so bad for him!
cuttles

Offline cuttles/sadieMay

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Do puppies stay up all night when cutting teeth????
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 10:33:03 am »
When Pepe the mojo was cutting teeth, he had a bit of a problem losing the baby teeth, and would get restless.  With one in particular, it would NOT come out.  He'd make this awful grinding noise trying to get it loose, wimper, and paw at his mouth.  After I figured out what it was, we were able to sit him down and wiggle it the rest of the way out, like you'd do a child.  Problem solved  ;D

We have always made special treats for our teething puppers though ... basically we just get an old dishrag, wet it down, tie it in a knot, and stick it in the freezer.  Once its frozen, they'll chew on it quite happily.  Its pretty much the dog version of those freezable keys for babies ... and I think it really helps soothe when the gums are irritated.

Good luck with Kayzer's teefers!!!
Thanks!
thats a great idea, I think I will keep one in the freezer for the middle of the night!
I figured it was his teeth bugging him because he usually sleeps in his crate all night and I dont hear a thing from him.
He seemed so frustrated with it and he just kept groaning and rubbing his face in the blankets, also he kept biting at my hands as if to say help me they really hurt! :( I wasnt sure what I can give him to ease the pain so your advice is very helpful!
cuttles

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:22:44 pm »
The frozen socks are the very best! Zoey was also pretty restless and cleary pained when she was teething, and the frozen socks always soothed her
RIP former BPO

Offline coonie1970

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 12:19:36 am »
 ;D :o ;D :-*
Karen :) Image hosting by Photobucket

Offline ambulance_Driver

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:47:50 am »
Thor just sleeps all the time and even though he's teething it doesn't seem to be bothering him.  If you go to petsmart, they have several hard plastic teething toys but my favorite is the same idea as the frozen washcloths; it's a soft white bone that you soak in water and then freeze, and my baby loves it.   Also another good one is to make special ice cubes.  Get a meat flavored bullion cube, disolve it, then make ice cubes out of the "juice."  it gives puppies something to cold to chew, it tastes great, and won't stain the carpet. 
Ellie: Bichon Frise
Dash: Chinese Crested
Ginger: Paint filly