Author Topic: Emotional wreckage.  (Read 18947 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Emotional wreckage.
« on: January 07, 2006, 12:32:18 am »
This is a sob story, I will admit it right now. :'(
I'll start at the beginning. My first foster dog was a blue merle Great Dane named Darwin. He's the whole reason I found this board- I was researching Danes and bloat because I had never had such a large dog in my care and I wanted to be sure I knew the signs... anyway that's how I found BPO.
I had him for almost 2 months. He had just been through heartworm treatment. He was very ill, and honestly he just layed around all the time and got up only to go outside a few times a day or to eat meals. Otherwise he was just a big lump of love on the floor of the living room. But I got attached, bad. It was the most wonderful thing to come out of my bedroom every morning and see him wag his tail to say hi. I prayed for him to find a great home. I cried with him many nights at the thought of him leaving me someday. And when the time came he got adopted, I was crushed. But I had to let go, because he was a foster, ya know?
So I have pretty much annoyed the crap out of the guy who adopted him ever since. Sending emails and begging for new pictures of him. Asking if we could meet at the park. Checking to see how the big guy was doing. It has been about 7 months, and the guy has responded a few times and has not sent me any photos of my friend Darwin. :(

Well, tonight I got a sudden email from him. It said they have had it with Darwin, they are returning him. He has destroyed their couch, and their hardwood floor was ruined from Darwin urinating everywhere. This came to me as a total shock!! In his entire stay with me, he had but one accident. And in this guys emails to me he never once mentioned there were any problems.

I can't explain how I felt when I read the email!!! I told Will, and we had such crazy floods of emotions because all the sudden- we could get Darwin back!!!! It seemed too good to be true! Yet we were so very upset that they thought of Darwin as such a bad dog! We were happy, sad, angry, relieved- you name it!! We immediately started making plans, discussing what food we'd be feeding him, what color collar to buy him, and I pulled out the old tag I'd had engraved for him which I kept... and we even went out and bought beer to celebrate!

Then I came home to another email from the guy. Oh- they changed their minds. They are going to give Darwin another chance. Maybe they can make it work. And they hope I have a great evening.

WHAT!!??!! ???

I don't even know what to do with myself. It is Saturday night, and I am lost in confusion. :'( That's my story. Sorry it's so long. Thanks for reading, and here are some pictures of Darwin from when I had him.

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional wreckage.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 12:44:45 am »
I hope you get him back. It sounds like he was much happier with you.
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Anakalia

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 12:50:33 am »
Awwww! I'm so sorry you had your hopes crushed like that.  So frustrating and upsetting!!  I'm almost hoping he does email you back to say they've changed their minds once again!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  I know he'd have a better home with you and Will. You both sound like wonderful people!!

OH and I just had to add...he's gorgeous!!  Thanks so much for sharing the pics. ;D

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 12:55:11 am »
I hope everything works out with you and Darwin. It sounds like he would be much better off with you and I think maybe he was fated to be with you.
RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 01:01:03 am »
Oh how awful!  I hope that you get Darwin back.  It does sound like he was happier with you. 

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 01:12:10 am »
Thanks, you guys. It has been a tough evening.
I forwarded that guy's emails to the rescue group and I think they will be pretty mad, but I don't know whether anything can be done.

As for right now, I am just hoping Darwin is ok. He is such a sensitive dog, I can't bear the thought that they might have been yelling at him or punishing him.  :(

Will and I are still hopeful. :-\

Blair

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 02:12:55 am »
 :( I hope you get him back....poor Darwin

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 09:11:37 am »
Rebekah,

That's horrible. Where does this guy live? Maybe you could offer to stop by his house to provide suggestions (for training purposes) and check things out. It would also give you a chance to emphasize that he can return Darwin to you at anytime. You can always email him and give it a try.

Deena

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 09:46:28 am »
I emailed the guy after he wrote me the first time- I wrote that I was sorry things didn't work out and I could come and get Darwin, and not to worry.
But then 30 minutes later is when he wrote back and said they'll keep him.

I don't see how anyone could be so wishy-washy about keeping a dog they adopted. I'm sure it wasn't easy to come to the point where he was writing me saying they didn't want him anymore. But he sent that email to me and he will never be able to take it back! If he wasn't sure in the first place he never should have written to me. Obviously they have been thinking about it for a long time!

Ugh.
Well I have to go wash up because I was letting Mokey kiss me a minute ago and then I realized she had just eaten some poop out in the yard. Yuck! :P Hehe.

Hopefully I'll hear back from the rescue group today and find out what the protocol is here if there is one.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 11:28:47 am »
PLEASE let us know how this ends up.  I hope you get Darwin back! 

Nicole

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 12:18:09 pm »
Oh GOD Rebekah!

How terrible for you! I really hope that you can get to the bottom of all of this soon! Let us know!!!

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 11:33:50 am »
Rebekah

I'm so sorry that you are having all these issues - it sounds like Darwin would be so much better off with you. 

I give you so much credit for fostering - I don't think I could do it; just for the reasons you say I'm sure there are SOOOOO many happy stories and happy families but I would find it hard to give up the darlings.

I hope this all works out for you and especially Darwin

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 11:54:10 am »
Well it is Monday morning and still no word from the rescue group. :( Well, I guess it's more of a one-woman operation now instead of a group, and I haven't heard from her. I know she is pretty busy.
Hopefully today she will contact me and let me know if we can do anything, or if we just have to wait until Darwin makes his family mad again and they get fed up with him again. :'( I just don't get it.

Anyhow, I cannot stop thinking about him. He is like Scooby-Doo in blue merle pajamas. That's how I think of him. He is big and silly. I guess it feels good to at least be here waiting for him if he should need us.

I hope I have some good news to post here later. :-[

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 11:54:52 am »
OK, I don't mean to sound like the negative nelly here, but I've been in the rescue business too long not to see a red flag here.

Rebekah, someone needs to exercise their right to go check on Darwin immediately. The fact that he was so adamant about returning Darwin then suddenly changed his mind makes me think he found someone else willing to buy Darwin from him.

I'm sure your rescue organization has a clause that Darwin must be returned to them if the adoption doesn't work out. You must find out immediately if he still has Darwin, but I bet he's "adopted" him out to someone else for a nice little fee for his "troubles".

Jeanne
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 12:02:28 pm »
OK, I don't mean to sound like the negative nelly here, but I've been in the rescue business too long not to see a red flag here.

Rebekah, someone needs to exercise their right to go check on Darwin immediately. The fact that he was so adamant about returning Darwin then suddenly changed his mind makes me think he found someone else willing to buy Darwin from him.

I'm sure your rescue organization has a clause that Darwin must be returned to them if the adoption doesn't work out. You must find out immediately if he still has Darwin, but I bet he's "adopted" him out to someone else for a nice little fee for his "troubles".

Jeanne

OMG I think I just had a heart attack reading that!!!
I can't bear that thought for an instant.
Luckily the woman who does this rescue is a VERY strong-willed woman and is not afraid of anyone or anything! She would be absolutely LIVID if something like that happened!
I'll call her again and tell her I am really really worried!!!!!