Author Topic: Emotional wreckage.  (Read 18934 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Emotional wreckage.
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 12:04:56 pm »
I honestly didn't mean to upset you, but you really need to check that out Rebekah. His sudden change of heart after his first horrible e-mail is just too suspect. Please let me know what happens.

I hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 12:05:21 pm by jjfritsche »
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Kiahpyr

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 12:32:42 pm »
I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hope you find out what's happened with Darwin and get him back. That way you know he's safe and happy.

dohertyswissy

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 12:41:11 pm »
This is just plain awful.  Poor guy!  I've had my share of pee cleanups on the hardwoods, but never in a million years would I give up my BABY!!!

The whole situation seems quite shady.  I'm with Jeanne; someone should go over and check this out immediately.  Something in my gut just feels sick.

Poor Darwin.  Please, please keep us updated Rebekah.

Fingers and paws crossed for his safe return to a loving family who understands his needs.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 02:29:22 pm »
Here's the update, and unfortunately not much of one. :-\

The rescue woman got all my messages. She told Will "they get this all the time"... apparently people call and say they want to return their dog, and then they change their minds, or they do it all through email...
I can hardly believe it!!

So she is "going to call the guy."

And Will made sure and told her that we want to adopt him. So now all I can do is wait some more!!! :-[

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 02:43:38 pm »
I understand running an all-volunteer rescue is exhausting and you never seem to have enough time to do what really needs to be done, but I think these calls should at least warrant a follow-up home check. Does your adoption contract state a home check can be done at any time after adoption to check on the welfare of the dog?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 03:06:51 pm »
Yep, Jeanne, the contract does say that a home check can be done at any time.
I'm telling you, Will and I are about to drive over there ourselves and find out what is going on!! But I was just the foster mom so I don't really have any rights at all with this adoption. :(

I am trying not to worry but I can't stop thinking about it!

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 03:42:31 pm »
Well, try to restrain yourself. Sometimes I can overreact when it comes to situations like this. Maybe you can call him on the pretense that you just want to offer some specific advice on training Darwin since you had him for so long and ask him some investigative questions or ask if you can come over and see what he's done so you can show him some techniques on how to get the right behaviors out of him.

Maybe you can get a better idea of what's going on with the home then.

I'm so sorry if I got you all worried, but I can't keep my mouth shut.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2006, 04:44:43 pm »
Can you do a friendly 'drop by' to see him?  Since you did have him for so long and you just wanted to say hi, maybe it would open the door to getting him back.   That's how I ended up with Cowboy.  The guy who had him before stayed in contact with one of my Newf friends  and she just didn't like the sound of the situation.  She ended up offering to take Cowboy off his hands and Cowboy never looked back!!!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2006, 06:43:24 pm »
I do't want to "egg" you on but if your gut says to go and check on him then go. Is there anyway that you can get animal control to check on him, show them the email??

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2006, 07:46:20 pm »
Ok.
Wow. Just got off the phone with the rescue woman. We talked for a long time. For now we are going to keep things as friendly as possible. I am going to write the guy and tell him that we are going to come over to check on Darwin. I am going to tell him that he must have a urinalysis done. I'm going to find out exactly how long Darwin is alone every day. Luckily, since I know Darwin better than the rescue woman does, she is letting me kinda take care of things and she will back me up as I need her, and she said if we go over there and I don't like what I see, we are taking him back.

She actually made me feel a lot better. But it took an hour and a half!!!

So it will be interesting to see what he writes back!
I'll keep everyone posted for sure! This is all I can think about right now!!!! :P

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2006, 08:11:56 pm »
Great!  It sounds like progress is being made!  I hope he writes you back soon.  Tell him you have almost 1000 people waiting on his reply! ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2006, 09:52:49 pm »
Ack!!  I just saw this thread, and after reading everything I'm practically shaking all over (I think it's in anticipation of an answer and not just b/c I haven't eaten yet). 

Ugh, I cannot believe some people.  I hope things work out in your favor.  I would hate to see Darwin displaced again, but at least it would be to people he knows.  I just hope if you do take him, that these people haven't damaged him permanently.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2006, 01:34:20 am »

Ugh, I cannot believe some people.  I hope things work out in your favor.  I would hate to see Darwin displaced again, but at least it would be to people he knows.  I just hope if you do take him, that these people haven't damaged him permanently.

Unfortunately, Darwin was already pretty damaged before he came into rescue. He grew up on a chain. :(  And I believe he was abused... if you try to hug him he is so so scared.  :'(

The latest news is that I wrote the guy a very serious email. Given the tone that I used I suspect he will write back pretty dern fast. I told him we are coming over.

TO BE CONTINUED...

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2006, 02:43:18 am »
Omg, Rebekah, I am so sorry! This is awful. I am praying for you and for Darwin, I just saw this thread, it didn't show up earlier! I will email you soon, I've been really sick. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping you get Darwin back!!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2006, 12:15:00 pm »
Rebekah, I am so sorry that this happened...I can certainly understand how upsetting it must be for you!...Let me tell you a story...Sammy was my very 1st dog...He came to me completely unsocialized & untrained at 14 weeks & 43 lbs...I can't tell you the number of nights I sat & cried & told him, "that's it...in the morning you are going back to your breeder"!!...Of coarse, after a good nights sleep, it was always, "we're gonna get through this together baby"...I'm just saying in the midst of frustration people make some stupid comments...Hop efully this is the case with your situation. :) If not, they at least know where they can contact you to take him back...Why not give it a few days & e-mail to see if he is doing better?...Also, you might want to bring up the posssibility that he might have a UTI & that is why he is going in the house...Good luck! :)