Author Topic: Leash training?  (Read 4143 times)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Leash training?
« on: January 09, 2006, 07:15:48 pm »
I just adopted a 15 month old mastiff 2 weeks ago. She is wonderful. She is not great on a leash. Her previous owners just let her out w/o a leash in the yard. When I take the dogs for a walk she pulls w/o realizing it, she just walks along like normal put she is pulling. I also have a pyr I take on the walk too and he walks in slow motion. He is great on lead and my kids can walk him(with me). I want to be able to enjoy taking them for walks. Whats the best way to train them on a leash? She is good off leash and will stay right with you but I believe your dog should always be on a leash except in a fenced yard.

Offline Hedda Garland

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Leash training?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:58:18 pm »
Hi there,
congratulation s on your new addition, she is beautiful.
Your problem seems to be really minor, since you say she already stays close when off lead.
One thing you can do is just simply stop as soon as the leash gets tight and once she backs up and the leash is loose again you continue to walk. At the beginning you'll get more stops than steps but she'll get it.
Another thing you can do is walk backwards as soon as the leash gets tight and continue forward as soon as the leash is loose.
You don't even have to treat her because the reward will be to continue the walk.
Good luck, you'll get there. :)