Author Topic: How big is your great dane?? Everyone please!  (Read 34186 times)

Offline PhoebesMom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Phoebe
    • View Profile
    • Life with Eclectus Parrots
Re: How big is your great dane?? Everyone please!
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2006, 06:07:03 am »
I think Phoebe is part of a European line as I talked to Phoebe's breeder for my gf back when Phoebe was a puppy. If I recall correctly she is from a German line. I'm still getting to know Danes however our vet did say that Phoebe has a build similar to a Mastiff less like a Greyhound but the perfect build and size for her, which he said is more or less the average size for Danes. She's not on the small end but not big like he has seen.
Megan- Mom to Phoebe(Great Dane)
Thunder (Chihuahua)
Viggo & Sula (Red Sided Eclectus Parrots)
Meisha & Sydney (Vos Eclectus Parrots)
Skaha (7-toed Polydactol Cat)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2006, 10:37:02 am »
I was told, or rather I heard someone comment behind my back, that Gunther was small for a male dane.  I think it all depends on what danes people have been exposed to.

Most people we meet think he is quite large for a dane, but really he is about average at 35 inches.  From the one dane show I went to, most show danes you see will be on the larger side.  I was told that they like them to be at least 36 inches tall (the males).

I've seen both large and small harls/merles.  One friend's female harl probably was just at 32 inches, if even.  Her male fawn was about 33/34.  Another friends' male merle had to be at least 37 inches, and probably taller.  It really does have mostly to do with breeding.

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2006, 01:58:35 pm »
Wow, you guys are always talking about these really tall danes and I have just not seen them!!! I guess since I am always dealing with rescue danes, the breeding is most likely not the best... :-\
All the males danes that have passed through my hands in rescue and at adoption events have been no taller than 32 or maybe 33 inches. And the females have averaged about 30 (including my Leeloo ;)). There was one female who was about 32 and she seemed like such a huge girl to me!!! :D

I am secretly hoping that Connor will turn out to be a tall boy! ;) He's about 32 inches now and maybe 10 months? So he's got some time to grow! ;D I really need to get him on a scale... I am pretty sure he weighs more than me now! :D

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2006, 06:38:15 pm »
Here is the Great Dane Club of America standard...I don't know about Danes per say but I know that with my Pyrs shorter is better...Less wear & tear on the ol' hips & joints...I'd much rather have a shorter dog than a dog with hip & joint issues!
http://www.gdca.org/standard.htm

& check this link down through the size section:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/dogs-faq/breeds/greatdanes/

Size

The AKC OFFICIAL STANDARD FOR THE GREAT DANE states: "The male shall
   not be less than 30 inches at the shoulders, but it is preferable that
   he be 32 inches or more, providing he is well proportioned to his
   height. The female shall not be less than 28 inches at the shoulders,
   but it is preferable that she be 30 inches or more, providing she is
   well proportioned to her height." It is common for males to stand
   about 35 inches at the shoulder, and to weigh about 150 pounds.
   Females are commonly about 32 inches tall, and weigh about 120 pounds.
   Puppy buyers should remember that "bigger", is not necessarily
   "better".

Thesize has nothing to do with good or bad breeding(unless they are WAY out of standard) but more so personal preference of the breeder or perhaps just what sells best. :(

« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 06:48:47 pm by Gypsy Jazmine »

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2006, 05:11:40 am »
My Morphy boy is 8 months and is 29 inches at the shoulder and weighs 128 lbs.  He is half neoplitain mastiff so that has to add in for his uhhh "Mass"...  He is just starting another skeletal stage so I guess we will just wait and see how big he is gonna be.  Our vet is having a hard time estimateing him cuase he is a mix and his dad was a MONSTER of a dane.

All of your danes are beautifull!!!  I want another one but I dont think that my poor Keeshound could handle it.  He is 20 inches at the shoulder and weighs a whopping 36 lbs at 3 years.   
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney