Author Topic: How about compulsory spay/neuter?  (Read 15235 times)

GR8DAME

Re: How about compulsory spay/neuter?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 02:38:56 pm »
Same problem with the Nuetrosol injection for the males. Although non-invasive and easier on the dog, it just renders them sterile, the testicles remain and so they are still vulnerable to testicular cancer and related issues. I researched it heavily before having Strider nuetered in July.
Stella

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 02:24:19 pm »
Lets face it whats the real cost of a neuter?? A 5 minute surgery should not cost over 200.00, as it does at many vets around me. If big brother wants to spend our money on a program for pets let them pick up say 50% of the cost if the vets want to scream they will be losing to much otherwise.

The reason why they're over 200 is the mandatory pre-anesthesia bloodwork most clinics do.  It takes more than five minutes because of the time it takes to knock the dog out and hook them to the monitors.  So you pay for the vet's time and the time of whoever assists. Also your paying for the vet tech that watches your dog as they come out of it and for the care your dog requires while there.

Also pet insurance will pay 80% generally at least they did for Kali.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

SA_horses

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 02:37:43 pm »
If big brother wants to spend our money on a program for pets let them pick up say 50% of the cost if the vets want to scream they will be losing to much otherwise.

If that were done, then pet owners would still pay for their pet's spay or neuter, and those who didn't own pets would also be paying, because the government pays for NOTHING.  The taxpayers are the ones paying, not the government.  I do not think it fair to make people who do not own pets pay for other people to own them.  JMO.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 02:40:27 pm »
Lets face it whats the real cost of a neuter?? A 5 minute surgery should not cost over 200.00, as it does at many vets around me. If big brother wants to spend our money on a program for pets let them pick up say 50% of the cost if the vets want to scream they will be losing to much otherwise.

The reason why they're over 200 is the mandatory pre-anesthesia bloodwork most clinics do. 
Also pet insurance will pay 80% generally at least they did for Kali.

NONE of the hospitals around here require bloodwork.  And it costs extra if you ask for it (Not that I care, I'm just saying it isn't included in teh price)  Also, the pet insurance places I've looked at don't cover spay/neuter.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2005, 02:44:07 pm »
If big brother wants to spend our money on a program for pets let them pick up say 50% of the cost if the vets want to scream they will be losing to much otherwise.

If that were done, then pet owners would still pay for their pet's spay or neuter, and those who didn't own pets would also be paying, because the government pays for NOTHING.  The taxpayers are the ones paying, not the government.  I do not think it fair to make people who do not own pets pay for other people to own them.  JMO.

But that doesn't change anything.  Even though you're homeschooled, your mom has to pay taxes to pay for public schools.  So those people who're going to public school but don't have dogs can pay for your dog's neuter.  Not that I agree with it but it works out in the end.
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2005, 03:38:51 pm »
With most of our rescue dogs we do not have the pre-anesthesia bloodwork ran and the vet does not have monitors. Cost of a neuter on a 27lb dog (just last week) $219.00 after discount.....
For comparison... vet 30 miles from me would have charge $86.00. He's been in business for years so to me that means $86.00 more then covers the costs. Both areas run about the same in income levels and overhead.
Yes, you are right I did not include the prep time the techs do I was stating the 5 minutes of the vets time. But with the above numbers shown it can be done for far cheaper then $200.00+.
I'm not saying ALL vets across the board should lower their fees. Heaven knows vets in the richer neighborhoods do not need to. But when talking of a way to control the pet population one does need to look at the finer points such as.....
Where are these dogs coming from? 
Why are they not being s/n?
 Truth is alot of the shelter dogs are coming from lower income areas and it would benefit society as a whole to cut costs where needed. If every one of the 100+ vets around me was to donate 8 hours a month of their time and only charge the true cost of the surgery I think you would see a major decrease.

Also pet insurance will pay 80% generally at least they did for Kali.>>>
For people not on a fixed income this is a great option but for those who are $20+ a month for their dog to have insurance is not happening when they do not even have health coverage for themselves.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 03:45:22 pm by VdogLover »

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2006, 09:00:43 pm »
Something that struck me when I moved to this country was that vet care is very expensive. I dont have a lot of countries to compare to but I know in Sweden and Norway they are rather similar. Both countries way higher taxes than here, about the same income level if you see to similar jobs. Yes the majority of people have insurance for their dogs, but even without a spay or neuter will run you about $100 in a very good clinic with monitors and bloodwork. So in general I think vets here could charge way less than they do.

I am fortunate though, I found a wonderful vet here,they charge about $ 130 for spay of a dog who is approx. 100 lbs. And that is including monitors and blood work.They charge $11 for the rabies vaccinations and are overall very modest in their billing.

So if the vets were more into actively working on getting the overpopulation down I am sure that could be done.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog