Author Topic: Starting to do some research on danes, that is what our next dog will be  (Read 3509 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Tim and I have decided that we would like our next dog and companion for our family and Harley to be a dane. But I want to do my research first. And it will be a while before we get one, like a year or 2. So if anyone knows of good websites and rescues too that would be great. We don't necessarily want a puppy.

Nina 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Starting to do some research on danes, that is what our next dog will be
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 05:29:58 pm »
That is GREAT Nina!!!  :D The Great Danes that we have fostered have really touched our lives and they weren't even with us very long!
Which has lead me to believe...
Will has been up to the very same research... :o

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 05:40:13 pm »
LOL, I am finding out lots of info, I want the good and the bad. The info that I have found out so far is interesting.

Tim and I did talk about getting another Pyr but we both decided that it would be to hard for now, even if we wait a year or 2 ( which is the plan for pup #2). I do want to get another Pyr but later in life. We plan on moving back to Nova Scotia in the country and I think that would be the perfect place for our next Pyr. When we were there for our wedding Dilbert loved it, he wanted to go out and play in the cow pasture! So we may have 3 dogs when we live in Nova Scotia, but that is fine by me they would have all the land they need to play, and best of all it would be safe. Not much traffic where we would be.

Nina 
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Maggie's Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maggie, Simon and Oscar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 06:53:01 pm »
danesonline.co m is a good website.  They have info. and also lots of breeders.  They also have links to many different Dane rescue sites.
Stacy, Wes, and Maggie (Great Dane)

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 07:24:44 pm »
Just be careful on Danes Online.  They're a wealth of info you won't find anywhere else, but they can be kind of ummmmmm.. Brash?  if you ask what they think is a stupid question.   Also, just because a breeder is listed there doesn't mean it's a good breeder.  One of the blue Dane breeders they have listed just got suspended from the AKC for life.  Also, this place called BPO chat is frequented by some crazy Dane people.  :P
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 08:07:14 pm »
Thanks for the info, I am reading up on all there is to know about bloat right now, and other canine diseases. I know of quite a few Dane rescues in Ontario and I think that there are some in BC as well. And I will look up some breeders as well.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 08:24:27 pm »
Thanks I just checked out her website and she has some beautiful danes, and I am gald that she tests the eyes and heart as well as hips and elbows from what I have seen on her website.
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)