Author Topic: Food Question Please - Puppy to Adult Food...  (Read 8092 times)

k2campbell

Food Question Please - Puppy to Adult Food...
« on: January 18, 2006, 10:30:46 pm »
Sorry guys (I'm sure this has been posted before) but it's time for us to switch Kate from puppy to adult dog food (after she's well recovered from surgery, of course).  I have NO idea what to switch her too???

Right now she's on Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy formula.  I'm thinking of switching to Eukanuba Large Breed Adult, but I know there is LOTS of really good dog food out there to choose from.  Anyone have any suggestions?

OH, and we also give Kate 'Dr. Kruger's Supplements'.  By the way, thanks for suggesting Dr. Kruger's DakotaMom - Kate LOVES it! 

I would appreciate any/all suggestions guys.  Thanks so much!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Food Question Please - Puppy to Adult Food...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 11:31:42 pm »
Well everyone has their own ideas about food so you have to ultimately decide what is best for you... But that being said, I personally believe that premium dog food is best for a dog's health and happiness. Here are a few brands that I recommend you look into (in no order): Canidae, Solid Gold, Wellness, Wysong, Flint River Ranch, Dick Van Patten, Innova, Pinnacle, Back to Basics, California Natural, Eagle Pack
RIP former BPO

DakotaMom

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 12:02:33 am »
I like these foods also.

I am currently feeding Solid Gold to Dakota, Dick Van Patten to Jade and Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy formula to Nani.

It is best to start with a quality food and give it some time to see how Kate does on it. We have had to try several different kinds before we found foods that they do well on.

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:24:05 pm »
Spotakiss is on Eukanuba too,but Ive heard really good things about Solid Gold.I thought about switching numerous times but never could make up my mind.You also have to check if its sold in your area.If not youll have to order it.It can be soooo scary with finding the right dog food with everything thats going on with that other dog food.Good luck!

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 12:46:32 pm »
Thanks Jules.  Is Spotakiss on adult Eukanuba?  How does he do on it?  I have already contacted a bunch of places today regarding Solid Gold, no one is carrying it (nor can they order it) which is quite frustrating. 

Thanks for your advice - I'll keep trying!  ;)

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 01:36:13 pm »
I feed Sadie Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Lamb & Rice. Riley eats Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice. Well, actually they eat each others' food, too.

Nutro is supposed to not have any animal bi-products in it, and I've been very happy with Nutro Natural Choice for indoor cats (only food one of my cats can handle is the regular (green & white bag) indoor formula). Is it good dog food? There are so many choices...

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2006, 01:39:50 pm »
Thanks Macybean.  I've also heard good things about Nurto - and it's readily available here, so I will definitely consider it!  ;)

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2006, 01:56:36 pm »
We feed our kid Eagle Pack. 
.....Julie

Thanks Julie.  Eagle Pack is also available where I found the Canidea available, so I'll be sure to check it out too.  We do give Kate supplements now, Dr. Kruger's and it seems to help her out a lot (plus she just loves the taste of it).  I think we'll keep that up (but) sounds like if we buy Eagle Pack, we may not have to!  Appreciate your help!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 02:42:02 am »
I know jbwholesale.co m carries the solid gold dog food.Nope Spotakiss isnt on adult dog food he just turned 1 in November.I think hes about 180 right now.His dad was 220 so well see

Offline hmm_gfx

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 03:24:57 am »
Here's a great site that lists just about every dog food in existence along with ingredients.  http://www.mordanna.com/dogfood/

Helen and Cayman forever in my heart
Helen and Cayman forever in my heart

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2006, 03:33:06 am »
Some years ago Eukanuba, Iams, & Science Diet were the "designer jeans" of the dog food world...There is now more competition & dog owners are becoming more savvy to ingredients lists...I feed Premium Edge which recently made The Whole Dog Journals "to feed" list...To tell the truth though my food of choice is Canidae but, unfortunatly, they do not include Glucosamine in their food & I do not want to supplement...M y advice, read the ingredients list & use your best judgment! :)

k2campbell

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2006, 12:17:08 pm »
I know jbwholesale.co m carries the solid gold dog food.Nope Spotakiss isnt on adult dog food he just turned 1 in November.I think hes about 180 right now.His dad was 220 so well see

Spotakiss is going to be HUGE (well, he already is) but my gosh, that's a big dog!  He sure is a handsome fellow!  ;)

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2006, 12:20:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice and links hmm_gfx & Gypsy Jazmine, appreciate it!

We bought Canidea yesterday, we're going to slowly integrate and see how Kate does on it.  She's only had a taste so far, but she seriously went NUTS over the taste (which is a good sign I'm thinkin')!  Hopefully she does well on it - if not - we'll try something else.

Kate's already on supplements too (Dr. Kruger's), so we'll stay on that also...

Thanks!

Offline jules

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2006, 12:20:53 pm »
Thanks!Have you decided what to change to.There are so many choices it gives me a headache! :o

k2campbell

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2006, 12:30:30 pm »
Thanks!Have you decided what to change to.There are so many choices it gives me a headache! :o

I know Jules - ridiculous amounts of foods to choose from out there...

Yup - we picked up a bag of Canidea (All Life Stages) yesterday.  We have to integrate slowly (of course), but Kate was very eager to try just a little taste, she loved it!  Once she's fully onto the Canidea (probably 3 weeks or so), we'll see how she does on it... 

They weren't lying when they said it was very 'pallitable'.  Gosh, it smells so good compared to the Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy formula, honestly (not that I'm bashing the Eukanuba - Kate did just fine on that) but it smells good enough for me to even eat.  I'm not trying it though!!!

The weirdest part of all - Canidea was cheaper than the Eukanuba!  I realize that puppy formulas are more expensive to start with, but I was pleasantly surprised.  We live in Alberta, a 40lb bag of Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy formula costs $67.50 CDN, the 40lb bag of Canidea All Lifes Stages costs $51.00 CDN.  I was seriously expecting it to be more than the Eukanuba.  BUT - I'm not complaining!!!