Author Topic: Entertaining an aussie?  (Read 5712 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Entertaining an aussie?
« on: January 23, 2006, 08:24:25 pm »
Ok everyone w/ an aussie or other high energy dog any suggestions on what to give an aussie for a 'job'.  There aren't any herding oppurtunities nearby and she's weird around people but we have been thinking of trying agility at home only.  I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Entertaining an aussie?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 08:38:55 pm »
agility is a great idea. We've been toying with that idea for Rocko, too. Also fly ball or, if you just want an easy pastime activity that will wear 'em out - try frisbee. Rocko is obsessed with his frisbee. He considers that his job when he's not truckin' with Dad.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline hairprincessnyu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:54:27 pm »
Your picture just reminded me what beautiful eyes Aussies have....they are such amazing dogs!
True love is being gone all day, and coming home to a dog who licks your face.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 08:11:27 am »
we are doing obedience, agilty, flyball, AND dog parks, long walks, etc, and my 5 month old is not slowing down! we can't do too much in a day, because his bones are not fully matured, but lacey does not have this problem. agility is probably the best bet for you, because if you get an instructor that will work with you, you can train in agility to tire her, and at the same time slowly adjust her to stange people. the more she is trained in agility, the more focused on it she will be, therefore, you could have a very odd looking person (judge w/ umbrella, wheelchair confined person, etc) out in the middle and she will not notice (or not care) because she is busy w/ agility.

my other dogs are aslo both very active, and love to run, so they tire him out on their own. you have a newf, so (not to stereotype, but) she isn't gonna want to run run run all the time, like an aussie. sorry....

herding is expensive, but if there is someone with sheep (ducks are not good for dogs w/ preydrive, cattle are scarey for first timers.) that wouldn't mind being harrassed by a wild child, they may not charge you much at all. just ask an instructor for type outs of exactly what to do to train her, or ask them to go w/ you.

hope this helps,
Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 08:51:14 am »
Actually Kali has more energy then Lacey some times which I find suprising too. I think it's cause she grew up around Lacey the spaz.  Kali also learned to herd from Lacey.  Hopefully we'll be getting the agility equipment by xmas of this year and I can't wait as Kali already is doing agility in her dog class. We're going to have Lacey's aggression evaluated by Kali's trainer and hopefully we'll be getting over that hurdle as well since this trainer has worked with alot of aussies and aggressive dogs.  We have been playing frisbee and doing obedience so hopefully by next Spring we'll have everything worked out.

With the herding I don't think I'd really trust her because she's very bullheaded when she tries it on us and we don't want to encourage it with having horses that aren't keen on being herded.

Thanks for the advice everyone and Leah good luck with your aussie.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:57:12 am »
I would definitely recommend frisbee! My cattle dog required frisbee every day after work. We also went for long hikes in the mountains every Saturday, and open space dog park each Sunday, and ball every morning at home.  When she got older, I also ran her 3 miles a day in the mornings... they will keep you busy, won't they???  All of the things I did helped a lot to release energy, but frisbee was her favorite because it required skill!  Best of luck!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 09:16:19 am »
I agree, frisbee and fetch are great ways to get out some physical energy.  With my guys I also found that they tired out faster by doing mental workouts as well.  Clicker training is a great way to get those gears turning!   ;D

Another thing is that with high energy breeds, one of the most important things you can teach them is a "SETTLE" command.  Farm dogs usually aren't going 24/7, they're on when they're needed and off when they're not.  Some people mistakenly try to exercise them into tiredness, but in reality all they're really doing is building up their endurance.  Not a problem if that's what you're aiming for, but can be if its not.  These types of dogs need to learn that they don't need to go 24/7 and that they can chill and enjoy it.  My aussies don't seem to care if they're playing fetch, going for a ride, helping with cows or sleeping by my feet.  All that matters to them is that they're by my side.  :)

Have lots of fun, aussies are amazing dogs and one of the most rewarding breeds that I can think of!
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.