Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 3579 times)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
What do you think?
« on: January 28, 2006, 01:04:54 am »
I was at a book store last week getting my stepdaughters late xmas present (we always mail them out in Jan).  She wanted a book on horses, but while I was there I browsed thru the dog books as I'm always looking for new breed books.

I came across one that looked promising, so I leafed thru it.  Besides the column of info on each breed, it had off to the side three items based on a 1-10 scale: grooming, exercise, and whether they were good for city life.

I turned to the great dane page, and was a bit surprised at what I saw written.  I looked first at the groups on the side.  Grooming: 2.  Good answer.  Exercise: 10.  What??!!!  A few ? popped up in my head.  City life: 2  Hmmm.......... .always thought they made good city dogs.

Then I glanced at what was written in the actual column of information.  It had some of the basics, but I came to a halt when I read this:  Do not plan on getting this breed unless you plan on letting it run at least 9 miles a day.  Now I know Gunther is not your typical dane as he's even more laid back and never even has had a wild puppy side, but 9 miles?  I know of people with labs that don't run them that much! 

Then there was a brief statement on training.  I'm paraphrasing b/c I can't remember what exactly was written, but something to the effect of "in addition to basic dog classes, you may want to hire a professional to deal with this breed"  I know some people may not be able to handle a breed of their size, but I wouldn't think you would need to hire a professional as if you don't your dog will have behavioral problems.

I was amazed that this book could even be published with such bizarre and inaccurate information.  I didn't even look at any other breeds, as what I saw for the dane was enough.  How off is he compared to your dane?  Gunther gets maybe 4 miles of exercise tops a day.  As for training, I have always done my own, and although I probably have more experience than the average person, I don't think danes are any more difficult than any other breed.  In fact, Gunther has been sooooo much more easy to train and deal with than Keiko ever was.

cricket36580

Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 08:52:59 am »
It falls into the catagory of "I saw it on the internet so I know it's true".  The author obviously had a bias against danes....and that's ok.  Because there are lots of us around that know better and actually converse with people and we live the truth.  However, Bella would probably benefit from running 9 mi a day.  She runs laps on the ceiling so anything that included excersise would be a plus.  My luck runs so that I would have a very fit, very endurable dog, and she'd still be spastic..... ::)  Fos on the other hand would mutiny if I told him he had to run anywhere!

GR8DAME

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 12:19:57 pm »
The only way Merlin would do nine miles a day would be if I attached the couch to my truck and drove. And then he would still need a four hour nap to recover.
Danes make great city dogs (Duh...Chicago here) trust me I know.
As for training, I will admit that it took Mer a little longer to catch on than say, my dobies. But hardly to the point of needing a professional trainer.
Obviously this author did not do much real research and has never been around danes for any length of time. It would be interesting to know if he/she had ever even met a dane, much less spoken to any dane owners.
I love armchair experts.
Stella

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 12:37:10 pm »
The only way Merlin would do nine miles a day would be if I attached the couch to my truck and drove. And then he would still need a four hour nap to recover.
Danes make great city dogs (Duh...Chicago here) trust me I know.
As for training, I will admit that it took Mer a little longer to catch on than say, my dobies. But hardly to the point of needing a professional trainer.
Obviously this author did not do much real research and has never been around danes for any length of time. It would be interesting to know if he/she had ever even met a dane, much less spoken to any dane owners.
I love armchair experts.
Stella

lol
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 04:41:30 pm »

Bwahahahahahaa aaa!!!!

Offline mrsewe

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Get to know us! - Sarah & Eric
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 07:27:13 pm »
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Jack exercise Hahahahahahaha haha

9 miles Hahahahahahaha haha

a day Hahahahahahaha haha

Bwahahahahahah ahaha