Author Topic: what to feed...?  (Read 4975 times)

Offline lulu

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
what to feed...?
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:01:01 am »
 hello all. i am new to golden retrievers and i am just getting my first. i will be bringing  him home this weekend. i am wondering what you all feed yours? the breeder i am getting him from, feeds Iams, but im not a big fan of that. so, any suggestions would be great. thanks,

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: what to feed...?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 09:29:34 am »
Contgrats on getting your fur-baby this weekend.  You may want to check out the "BPO Food Forum".

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

cricket36580

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 10:56:32 am »
What ever brand you choose make sure it has quality meat as the first ingredient.  I would also try to stay away from corn or wheat this year with so much going on with aflatoxin.  you could check out www.mordanna.c om and look at the dog food project...it gives TONS of info and a better understanding of what AAFCO is and how they label the products.  Be careful of the protien content too.  Too high and you damage liver and kidneys...too low and they don't develope like they should.  Now that you are totally confused, off to do your homework...   :D

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 07:12:21 pm »

I agree - check out the food forum for some suggestions, but your instinct on Iams is correct.

Whole fresh foods are optimal nutrition for any living species. If you are willing to do that, it is the best option for your new puppy.  You can check out my own website if you wish for more of my own pesonal views on the subject:  www.naturalk9. com

If you want to feed a kibble however, then I highly recommend you subscribe to Whole Dog Journal. You can sign up online.  They do an annual kibble review each January and review all the dry and wet dog foods worth feeding, as well as what to be sure to look for in ingredient labels. Avoid excessive grains, chemical preservatives, and things you don't even know how to pronounce :)  Also, ensure the first 5 ingredients are identifiable meat sources and whole foods.  You can further compare quality kibbles at natura's website - they have a great ingredient evaluator:
www.naturapet. com and make quality kibble as well themselves.

Good luck
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar