Author Topic: South Russian Ovcharka aka Russian Sheepdog  (Read 20555 times)

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
South Russian Ovcharka aka Russian Sheepdog
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:32:33 pm »
I love having a rare breed of dog, but I'm curious if there are ANY OTHER South Russian Ovcharkas here at BPO, or even in the US.  AKC doesn't even list it as a recognized breed.  The only information I'm finding is in Europe. 

I'm wondering if Einstein traveled here from very far away or if it's possible there is a breeder in my area -- maybe they'd know him!  I just can't imagine why someone would get such a beautiful unique dog and then neglect him and/or dump him on the highway and/or give him up to a shelter.  Einstein has obviously been well taken care of in his puppy-life -- he's so well-mannered and socialized with people and other dogs.  But judging from the callouses on his elbows and missing fur on his sides, my vet thinks he must have had to lie on a hard surface for long periods.

Just curious.

Sarah

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Re: South Russian Ovcharka aka Russian Sheepdog
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:45:04 pm »
You never know with people.  It kills me that anyone would just dump their dog.  I can't fathom them paying mass amounts of money for a special breed and then dumping.  Not that dumping any dog is good.

But maybe is first owners were good and he ran away, the got sick, etc.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Tammy A.

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:48:12 pm »
SRO are considered flock guardians.  There is an excellent livestock guardian email list:

http://apple.ease.lsoft.com/archives/lgd-l.html

I'm quite sure there are several members of that list who have either working or companion SROs.  I'm a member of the Anatolian Shepherd Dog email list (sister list to the LGD list) and I know there are several members who have COs and CAOs who are on that list.

Regardless, it is a wonderful resource for those of us who own companion LGD dogs.

Tammy Ardolf

Offline druzina

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:43 am »
HELLO
Iam new in the forum ,iam located in Argentina ,Buenos Aires and i have 2 south russian ovcharka 1 female and 1 male they are show dogs here in Argentina .
i very happy of know TO other owners of SRO !!