Author Topic: In California? FIGHT BACK on Election day  (Read 14146 times)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: In California? FIGHT BACK on Election day
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:48:19 pm »
I think breed discrimination is not the right answer to the problem.  The people who are the irresponsible owners will just take more pleasure in breaking the law by owning the banned breed.  The ban doesn't stop the ones that need to be stopped.  I've also heard there is now a movement towards Cain Corsos sp? in the areas where pits are banned.  This breed is even worse than pits in the wrong hands.  Education is necessary and legislation should be toward the irresponsible owners.  There should be stronger penalties on dog attacks and dog fighting.  Even potential special licensing for pits and other risky breeds.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2006, 06:18:06 pm »
I keep thinking about this issue and I'm afraid that it's really too emotional to be rational about 'banning breeds'.  I've seen first hand, in dog parks, pit bulls attacking other dogs, their owners and jumping fences to attack small dogs in the small dog park.  It's one of the main reasons I don't take the Newfers to off-lead parks anymore.  I completely agree it's all about the lack of control by the humans and there should be a special license to own one of the aggressive (wrong term??) breeds but I don't think the people that are to blame for the attacks would bother to get one.  I also realize, from owning an Akita for 13 years that some people, like me, have NO business having a dog like that.  Red, you are COMPLETELY qualified to handle any dog, but you are a minority.  Most people don't have a clue where to begin to control a dog that has such a strong prey drive. 

I keep equating it to gun ownership:  many people who own guns are completely responsible, have training, are licensed and obsessively observant about how the guns are cared for, stored and handled.  I think that owning those breeds who have been earmarked for control should be held to the same standards.  The problem is always, whether it guns or dogs, those who refuse to follow the laws and are completely devoid of common sense ruin it for everybody else.  I guess it boils down to the fact that I have absolutely NO idea what the right answer is....and I don't think any politician does either.  Spaying and neutering seems like the most humane answer. :-\

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2006, 06:48:40 pm »
Gosh, Newflvr, you are the best!!! You posted everyhting I wanted to say in a wonderfully non-confrontational manner that I could not have matched. Thank you so much!!!!
Stella

Modified to add--LOVE the new avatar!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2006, 06:49:28 pm by GR8DAME »

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2006, 06:51:03 pm »
Thanks Stella!!  It only took me three days of thinking about it to be able to write what I was trying to say!! ::)