Author Topic: Just got back from the holistic vet  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Just got back from the holistic vet
« on: February 02, 2006, 09:24:44 pm »
Well we just got back from the holistic vet. We brought Harley with us so she could get a feel of the place. Joe is in good health, but she is over weight. So we have to get her running ect, I don't want her becoming diabetic. SO we have to go in for a weigh in next month. The vet was super nice she answered all our questions and Joe loved her she didn't run away or anything and Harley loved her too. So we have found our new vet.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Just got back from the holistic vet
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 09:38:01 pm »
Great news!  I like holistic vets too!  I think they are SO caring and knowledgeable of alternative and traditional methods of treatment.  It's like you have the best of both worlds!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:18:30 pm »
I am jealous. I want to go to a holistic vet too. :(
I guess I should just be glad there's nothing wrong with my furkids right now!!!

Actually I think there is a holistic vet not too far from me, for next time. :)

Please tell us about your future experiences there too, Nina!  :)

Icerotti

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:41:21 pm »
Glad to hear you found a vet you are comfortable with. ;D

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 10:59:30 pm »
It was so neat at how different it was there. It didn't even feel like a vet office. It has nice hardwood floors and the reception desk in the middle and behind them is a bunch of herbal medicine. And when we were waiting people were coming in and buying raw(frozen) meat. They also sell Innova evo there. The exam room had a small desk with a scale on it. And a bed the size of a cot with really nice fabric on it, and 2 chairs. It was so nice.

When we went in the doctor told us all about titer tests and how there really isn't a difference between the 1 yr and the 3 yr rabies vaccine. And I also asked about worming and about supplements for Harley's dry skin. Which we are going to wait to put her on anything until we see if the Evo(Harley is on evo too) clears it up. If not we will put her on a fish oil supplement. So we will bring Harley in for a check up next month and bring Joe along for her weigh in. This Dr was just so nice she was talking to Joe and Harley just like they were kids. The way that Tim and I talk to them.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 11:32:01 pm »
Our regular vet is the same way she sits on the floor and takes her time with each animal.  Kali loves her and she can do anything to Kali without a hint of protest.  Whereas if my mom gives her a shot she screams and sulks for the rest of the day...go figure.  Plus I've seen how much she cares for every pet that comes in she cries over every one she loses and is willing to try anything to help them.  She also has stayed up all night and slept at the clinic with some of her patients rather than sending them to the emergency place.  I think the compassion towards the pet is a sign of a good vet.  I've seen many that don't care how traumitizing the experience is for the animal it's only about the money.  It sound like you've made a good choice.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 12:43:07 am »
Well we just got back from the holistic vet. We brought Harley with us so she could get a feel of the place. Joe is in good health, but she is over weight. So we have to get her running ect, I don't want her becoming diabetic. SO we have to go in for a weigh in next month. The vet was super nice she answered all our questions and Joe loved her she didn't run away or anything and Harley loved her too. So we have found our new vet.

Nina
That's great!!...I wonder if I have a holistic vet around me?...Holistic medicine goes alot further back as a means for treatment for people even...Modern medicine only goes back around 150 yrs. for people...I wonder how far back for animals...Some thing to think about. :)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 02:57:22 pm »
So glad to hear you've found a vet you can trust! You all have been through so much. The first vet we took our puppies to breezed in and out, ordering a huge list of unnecessary tests and products(the vet tech cut the list in half after he left). What kind of "care" is that?
I just got a new job next door to a vet that is caring like yours. His office is very modest(we had a laugh at the tongue depressor keeping the exam table level) and he's in the room the whole time, not just a quick minute to give orders. He cares about our dogs and is interested in educating the pet owners instead of keeping them in the dark. It's a good feeling!  :D
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Dobe SDs

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 09:21:17 am »
Congratulation s on finding a holistic vet that you and your kids like.  http://www.holisticvetlist.com is a good website to find a holistic vet in your area.  Just put in your zip code.