Author Topic: Road-Trippin' with TeamShredit  (Read 6598 times)

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
Road-Trippin' with TeamShredit
« on: February 03, 2006, 06:55:07 pm »
I can't believe its February already! What happened?
We are planning a month long road trip in June with stops in Seattle, Yellowstone, Ohio, New York, and various places in Ontario. We are driving, and taking the dogs. We're crazy...I know.  ::)

I have an SUV and the dogs have plenty of room, but I want to start compiling a list now, so we are not scrambling last minute to take care of details. Has anyone also traveled long distances with their dogs? Are there any good websites that list dog parks, pet friendly hotels...etc. I have a feeling this will have to be well planned in order to pull this one off without compromising their health and our sanity.
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Road-Trippin' with TeamShredit
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 07:09:20 pm »
I travel with the Newfs to Northern Calif. regularly...it's about a 10 hour drive and they do fine.  We stop about every 2 - 3 hours for a water/pee break.  They've even learned to behave in the handicapped bathroom at rest stops! ::)

Check out www.dogfriendl y.com.  They have great suggestions for hotels, restaurants, parks that take dogs.

I've found that you meet more interesting people when you travel with dogs.  Everybody wants to meet them and chat.  It's always an adventure!!  Have a great time and dont' forget your camera! ;D

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 07:56:46 pm »
I don't travel far with mine, and Gunther has never really gone anywhere, but I've moved halfway across the country with Keiko and will do it again this spring/summer with both.  Thank goodness they both behave in the car.

dogfriendly.co m is a great place to start.  Depending on how much you want to spend on hotels, I know that almost all Motel 6 take pets, as well as most Quinta hotels and some Red Roof inns.  You can also pick up hotel catalogs of the state at every "welcome center".  They are usually about 20-50 pages or so, depending on the area.  They list all the hotels per city, usually with coupons, and the coupons will list which ones take pets.

Have fun on your trip, sounds like it will be a blast.   :)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »
I went to Amazon.com and looked up traveling with pets books.  There is a book that gives a listing of dog friendly hotels and the sizes of the dogs they take.  There is also a magazine called Fido Friendly that has different resorts that accept dogs.  It's a quarterly magazine if I remember correctly.  I just started receiving it so I don't really remember. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 11:06:17 pm »
When we moved from San Diego to Michigan, we traveled cross country with two dogs.  We also did it in the other direction, two years later, only this time with one.   :(

On the way out to Michigan, we really wanted to take our time and not rush so that we could give the doggies lots of breaks from being in the back of the SUV (an Isuzu Rodeo).  We had no trouble getting two dogs into Motel 6's along the way (we never really mentioned that there were two...), and generally had no issues at all. 

The only thing that we did find was that we couldn't really do anything but travel and stay in the hotel room with the dogs.  We didn't want to leave the dogs in the hotel room alone (and, of course, the hotel doesn't want you to do that either), and there was not really anywhere to go that we could take them with us.  Sounds like you guys might be doing some hiking/camping along the way, though, so that sounds doggy inclusive.  It should be a good time!
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 02:12:37 am »
Don't forget all vet records including vaccinations!...If your dogs are not microchipped do it now!!...Take along cleaning agents & bags for any (God forbid) doggie vomit or "accidents"...I learned this full force when we picked up our Kuv rescue Dec. 1st...We drove to Missourri to a county on the Arkansas line last July to pick up our sweet Pippin...He wanted to ride on my hubby's lap (who was driving) on the interstate...G et a net to keep them in back of the SUV! ;D

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 10:02:40 pm »
Ooooo the net! Good one.....Luke is the worst when we're driving and has knocked the car into neutral a couple times.
I also want to find dog parks along the way so they can run freely....we went to Colorado and they got a little chunky from sitting for so long.

Thanks for all the great advice!
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge