Author Topic: Food Allergies  (Read 2829 times)

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Food Allergies
« on: February 05, 2006, 01:24:47 am »
My parents' dog, Daisy, is an Anatolian shepard mix.  She was diagnosed with food , swelling around her face and in her legs has gone away and she is much less itchy.  She has always been a picky eater, and now we think that it was probably due to food allergies.   :P

Has anyone else had experience with food allergies?  Any suggestions on what to feed?  My mom is happy to cook for Daisy, but isn't sure what to include (veggies, meat, etc.) to make balanced meals.

Thanks everyone! :)allergies last week.  The vet suggested cooked rice and chicken instead of kibble.  Since last week

chaosndestruction

Re: Food Allergies
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 02:18:38 am »
Do they know exactly what type of food allergy? Like what specifically she's allergic to?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:19:47 pm »
Well first you need to figure out what she is allergic to - it is most likely a particular protein or carbohydrate. You can buy commercial food made for allergies. One that comes to mind is simple solutions by wellness....If you want to cook food, you need to do research on the BARF diet to see what to include. Plain meat and rice isn't going to be enough for a nutritionally balanced diet; it is something you just use for a bland diet when your dog is sick. You are deffinately going to need to add veggies, maybe supplements, etc.
RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 12:25:49 pm »
We don't know what it is now.  It could even just be the preservatives in dog food; our little Aussie was allergic to the preservatives.  We're starting by removing the dog food and then we'll try adding things back so she doesn't get sick again.  Poor girl has been suffering for years and we couldn't figure out why!  I'll check out the BARF diet...for some reason I thought that was all raw :P .

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 12:51:48 pm »
I'll check out the BARF diet...for some reason I thought that was all raw :P .

Go to this link: http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml
It should help put you on the right track :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 01:07:16 pm »
I'll check out the BARF diet...for some reason I thought that was all raw :P .

Go to this link: http://www.barfworld.com/html/barf_diet/barfdiet_specific.shtml
It should help put you on the right track :)

Thanks!! :)