Author Topic: Do any of your big paws do agility  (Read 12128 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Do any of your big paws do agility
« on: February 06, 2006, 11:41:23 am »
ok i want my wiem to do agility.  She leaps and bounds over 4 foot fences ( not that we want her to)  and is fast as a grey hound.  Now she is still a baby so she is clumsy.  But do you know of any place you can go and getthe agility equipment.  I need something to get her tired! ;Dlol she goes on 3 mile runs and that is just a brisk walk for her.
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Re: Do any of your big paws do agility
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 12:24:35 pm »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 12:26:21 pm »
That is great!!! of course it counts ;D

Offline pitas

• Paw-meister
  • Mom! Let us out, please!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 12:51:16 pm »
Way to go Drake!  That is absolutely adorable! 

Thanks for the fun! 

Your adoring Newfie fans! 

Madison, Klondike, & Kelso

kristi

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 06:53:18 pm »
Sampson took an agility class - well, half of it...
He only ever made it through the first 25 min. of the 60 min. class.  If you look in his paw-print, he's not exactly a ball of energy.
We took it through Petsmart.  When he decided he had enough, he would sit down facing the door & well that was it - he wasn't budging! :D
How do you move a dog that outweighs you by almost 20 pounds? ;D

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 07:52:30 pm »
Kali's obdience class did some and she made it throught the tunnel and did some of the other parts.  We also want to do it with Lacey because she's a bundle of energy too.  Alot of the stuff you could actually make rather than buy.  For weave poles you can get electric fence poles with the spike on the bottom for sticking in the ground, I believe there is a book on making inexpensive agility course stuff.
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Both Kaila and Cinder have participated in agility.  I am trying to get Kaila back into it again.  We have some jumps and weave poles in the back yard.  All are made from pvc pipe.  Go to Home Depot and buy a couple of 8 foot sections of pipe with some 90s and Ts.  Then you just cut your pipe down to the length you want and put it together and you have a jump.  We also have a hoola hoop attached with some light chain to a pvc frame for the "tire" jump.  You can easily push the pvc pipe into the ground for weave poles and then remove them to reset the weaves.  If you want I can get you some pictures of my stuff. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 01:50:34 am »
That would be great if you could do that i would really appreciate it.   ;D

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 08:34:40 am »
I took Darmok to a beginner's agility class (10 weeks, one night per week) a couple of years ago.  She learned the jumps, the A frame, the dog walk, the tunnel, and even the weave poles.  I say she LEARNED them, but she didnt really LOVE them! She was only a year old at the time, and there were 13 dogs in the class--she was the youngest.  So for Dar, it was a social event!  But, like I said, she did learn all those things, and I have a small agility course set up in my front yard with bar jumps & tire jumps made from pvc pipe, an A frame and dog walk made from plywood and saw horses, and plastic 55-gal. drums with both ends cut out for tunneling.  I even made a pretty big teeter-totter that she runs up and down the other side and weave poles stuck into the ground.  She would never compete (unless it was with an equally slow dog) but it is great exercise, and it helps to keep her mind focused. The neighborhood kids love to come and play on Dar's playground with her!!!
DOGS LAUGH, BUT THEY LAUGH WITH THEIR TAILS.

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 05:51:42 pm »
Here are some photos of some of the equipment I made:
1. Jump made from 2x4 frame, vinyl lattice & held by bungee cord
2. Adjustable bar jump made from PVC pipe (pay no attention to the Dobe with no legs!  (I have NO CLUE!  ;D )
3. A-frame made from plywood & 2x4. Chain helps hold it steady
4. Adjustable teeter totter made from 2x10 lumber 12 ft long.  Highest adjustment off ground = 4 ft, lowest adjustment off ground = 2 ft.

Not a whole lot of work, and I'm no carpenter by any stretch of the imagination, but it keeps my dog happy! And it was sort of fun to make, to!  I have 4 bar jump sets, a tire jump, a dog walk, an a-frame, a tunnel, 12 weave poles, and a pause table.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 09:47:58 pm »
Here are some pics of my stuff.  Sorry they aren't the best.  I got home late from work and ran out and took some pics before I lost the light.  I will get some better ones on Saturday hopefully.  The pvc is not glued together so it's easy to disassemble and move or store.  I tried to get a close up on the hoola hoop of the chain to show that the chain can be lengthened or shortened to change the "tire" height on the jump.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 10:00:07 pm »
thank yall so much.  I really appreciate it.  Those have really given me some ideas.  2dobies how did you make a dog walk?  Wasnt that a little more difficult. 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 10:39:17 pm »
I have a couple of books on Beginner's Agility and they tell you how to make your own equipment.  Also you can go to www.cleanrun.c om.  They have a magazine also.  A friend of mine has a subscription and I just borrowed one of her issues to read.  I know at one point there were some people selling agility equipment on eBay but I don't know the prices.  I hope this helps.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 11:57:37 pm »
I took Maggie to an agility class when I was like 12, I can't say I enjoyed it.. I couldn't very well control Maggie like I can now and at minimum I was atleast 15 years younger than everyone else in that class! But she learned all the basics there and I would to get her back into it.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline 2dobies

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2006, 10:25:25 am »
thank yall so much.  I really appreciate it.  Those have really given me some ideas.  2dobies how did you make a dog walk?  Wasnt that a little more difficult. 

Not difficult at all.  I used 2 sawhorses for the supports on either end, balanced a 12 ft long 2 x 12 across them, and for the ramps going up and down each side, I used  2 x 12 lumber (to match the width of the running board) and hooked them to the ends of the sawhorses with metal angle brackets.  The whole thing completely breaks down to move in separate pieces so it's not so heavy.  I usually keep it all in my front yard all spring and summer, and have to move the stuff around to mow the grass weekly.  It's good to move the obstacles around, though, to keep it interesting for the dog so they dont just go to each thing out of habit.